Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:47 PM

39 posts, read 123,738 times

Advertisements

Living in Howell and are going to move when our house sells...
I think we've narrowed it down to Red Bank, Fair Haven, Little Silver.
We have 2 very young children and want a friendly community.
I love Red Bank but am aware that the schools are not as good partially due to illegals and a lot of school time used with ESL. I also know about the high schools for these towns.

How do Little Silver and Fair Haven differ? Downtown areas? Parks? Overrall size? Shopping/Restaurants/Recreation??? Schools?

We're downsizing so probably will only be able to afford a smaller house in the $450-500 range... We've seen a few already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:43 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,361 times
I cant speak for the schools other to say that Little Silver uses Red Bank Regional for grades 9-12.

I am surprised LS has homes available for 450k. The town is mostly large homes on nice size properties. But there are quite a few homes for sale so I guess anything is possible.

FH is more of a tighter family-like town. More smaller homes neighborhood feel.
LS has train station if that's needed. Both have similar small downtowns anchored by a food store. FH has Acme and LS A&P (expensive it seems to me). But neither one is anything special. RB is closeby so that is where many go for day/night out. I personally go to all the shows at Two River Theater.
I am not aware of any substantial parks in either town.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM

More like 500-525 K in LS. (not 450)
Is one of the towns more "expensive"? Or, are the home prices higher in one over the other?
So, you're saying the houses are smaller in FH? Thanks.
Any other info would be great...

Also, any thoughts on raising a family in Red Bank? We were looking on the East side closer to FH. Some nice houses mixed in with some not so nice that look a little "shady"... lol Hard to decide.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
There's nothing remotely shady about Red Bank east of the train tracks.

I grew up in that area (Oceanport actually) 20 years ago when Red Bank wasn't all that nice. Parts of Little Silver are just an extension of that side of Red Bank and parts of it are more like Rumson. If you're looking at the whole area east of Broad St. and from the Navesink over to Rumson Rd. and even towards downtown LS there's not that much difference between the 3 towns . . . and while you're at it you might as well throw Shrewsbury into the mix. I have a cousin who grew up in Fair Haven and who went to RFH. Back then, and I doubt it's different today, it was very socially stressful bc of the class divide between Rumson and Fair Haven.

As for your kids I don't think it'll matter much which town you live in. It's a great place to grow up and, IMO, one of the best places in the country to live.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 PM

234 posts, read 814,045 times
Perhaps also consider Middletown.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USER876 View Post
Perhaps also consider Middletown.
Which areas of Middletown are closest to RB/FH/LS?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM

234 posts, read 814,045 times
probably fairview.....basically right on 35 just before redbank across the river. It's a nice section of middletown too and bit more pricey.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,361 times
Houses seem more modest on smaller lots in FH.

Actually Oceanport is another nice town to consider.

Red Bank does have a few iffy blocks near the hospital. Lots of apt complexes that are transient.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM

I was looking at Mechanic Street in Red Bank between High Street and Harrison which is the furthest east- closer to FH... Smaller houses. Some are nice some are not.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
I've spent a lot of time on Washington, near Mechanic, (a block from the hospital) over the last 20 years and it's not "iffy" it's just the last of the non rich people on the east side of Red Bank. So their household income is only $100k a year. It doesn't mean they're going to break into your house. Also, there might be one or two apartment buildings near the hopsital but there aren't any "complexes." The only apartment complexes that Red Bank has are over on Branch Ave and Spring St. towards Little Silver. My grandparents lived over there for 10 years before moving to Florida. Those apartments weren't a problem 15 years ago and they're certainly not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey