Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

It would interesting if they could revamp their system and make it more enjoyable to the jury pool. For instance, I have no desire to sit on a criminal case, but I think I'd LOVE to be a juror for civil cases.

Maybe they automate the system online where everyone eligible to serve can complete a profile listing their preferences and availability. I'll bet they could fill the jury box with people that want to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
She really needs to show up. I know I wouldn't want to take the chance! If she really doesn't want to serve, I suppose she can answer the questonnaire in a way that gets her excused. Last time I was on JD they gave us a questionnaire asking things like "Do you believe a police officer is more likely to tell the truth?", "do you have any friends of relatives in jail?", even what bumper stickers you had on your car and what tv shows you watched (if they sounded liberal, the prosecution said they didn't want them, if they sounded conservative the defense did). Everyone who answered any question in a way that made them sound like they wouldn't be neutral got excused. They also ask if anyone would have a hard time performing the duty for financial or other reasons.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM

367 posts, read 960,073 times
She may not even have to show up. After she returns the questionaire she will get back paperwork explaining where to park, which door to use, juror number, etc. There will also be a phone number on it to call the night before. A recorded message will advise which juror numbers are excused.
If she must go all she has to do during jury selection is to ask for an explanation of jury nullification. She'll be excused then for sure.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
I received my first one in the mail this week apparently (I haven't been home yet)... it's for the 2nd week of February... here's the funny thing, we're closing on a home in Gloucester county and planning to move the first week of February. Me, I've always wanted to do jury duty so I have to figure out if I can get out of it due to the relocation and if I really want to get out of it!
Yes, you can. I got a jury duty notice for Bergen County when I was moving to Middlesex County, sent a letter saying so, and did not hear from them again. Then I got a jury duty notice from Middlesex when I was moving back to Bergen County, did the same thing.

If a judge tried to verify, they would have been able to check DMV and see that I wasn't lyin'.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 PM

I served on a murder trial about 15 years ago. It was one of the most interesting experiences in my life--more fascinating than any TV show or movie.

They know ahead of time approximately how long each trial is estimated to run, and they knew this one would go 3 - 4 weeks (it ended up going 6 weeks because there were 16 snowstorms that winter), and the judge said if it would be a financial hardship on anyone they could be excused; for example, some firms will pay an employee for a week on jury duty but no more than that. (I work in the public sector so I got paid for the whole gig.) However, you couldn't just SAY that your employer wouldn't pay--if you weren't sure, the judge had the bailiff call your employer right then and there to find out. If you were unemployed and needed the time to look for a job, the judge excused you. There were various other reasons for--in one case, one of the potential jurors had the same name as the murder victim. I guess they felt that would be too weird for the kid's family.

I wouldn't just ignore the summons. Even if they don't come after you right away, it could be floating around in an electronic system somewhere and if you get pulled over or have an unpleasant encounter with law enforcement and that pops up, it could work against you.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:19 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
I was just called for Grand Jury duty in Hudson County (one day a week for 11 weeks) -- the hell of it is, we just moved to Florida two months ago. I sent the questionnaire back with a copy of my new Florida license.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I used to get called but being a firefighter and rescue person got me excused, even though I wouldn't have minded to serve. I'd be tough on the prosecution since the ones I know and have seen are SOOO dishonest, I mean things like prosecuting people they know are innocent and so on. They'd have to SHOW me a lot more than corcumstantilal evidence before I'd convict anybody because I know they are so dishonest its incredible.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 30,750 times
I got called in Bergen Co, several years ago. I got it delayed by sending them a letter back that I was going to be out of town that week, so they sent me a new date.

I know if you disregard the summons they will send the Sherriffs to your house and can issue a warrant.

So I went on the appointed day. I was called for one trial, and during jury selection, when I was called, I directly told the judge I could not be fair.

I was called for another case later that day, and I told the judge the same thing.

So they sent me home.

A couple of years later, Bergen Co, called me again for jury duty.

I sent them a letter that I was called previously and was promised I would not be called again.

They sent me back a letter that I was dismissed

Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
You can't ignore it. In NJ I got out of it because they called when I had children under 18, and I did not work out of the House. (I work from home)

Here, I got called and was there aout an hour, names were called, and I was told to leave, same thing the next day.
I am soo glad I did not get on that case, the only one on Docket. I don't know if it was national news are not, but was a case where a little girl was killed in the 70S, and they recently found thru DNA that a certain person matched. I heard it scared parents here for years because nothing like that had ever happened here before. He was proven Guilty. If I was on that case I would have had nightmares. Also, they lock up Jurors here in a Hotel, and you can't go home.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I used to get called but being a firefighter and rescue person got me excused, even though I wouldn't have minded to serve. I'd be tough on the prosecution since the ones I know and have seen are SOOO dishonest, I mean things like prosecuting people they know are innocent and so on. They'd have to SHOW me a lot more than corcumstantilal evidence before I'd convict anybody because I know they are so dishonest its incredible.
One thing I learned from my stint on jury duty was that if you are ever questioned by the police for any reason--even if you are not the one being charged, but may just end up as a witness, do not say anything to them without a lawyer present. They will take the most innocent statement you make and trash you for it on the witness stand and try to make it sound as if you really said something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey