Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,932,576 times

Advertisements

She has no valid reason to be excused. A friend suggested ignoring it as there's no proof she ever received it in regular mail. I told her it's her duty but I understand as many can, why she doesn't want to serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,586,214 times
not cool, and I highly doubt ignoring it would work. you can't ignore a parking ticket because there's no proof it flew off your windshield.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,604,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
She has no valid reason to be excused. A friend suggested ignoring it as there's no proof she ever received it in regular mail. I told her it's her duty but I understand as many can, why she doesn't want to serve.

No don't ignore it. If it is a financial hardship, she doesn't get paid by her employer for serving, they usually let you out of it.
You can usaully wrangle out of it by answering questions in the way you would think defense or prosecution wouldn't want you there..lol..but you have to show up & be there

What county?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,735,001 times
Yeah I get lots of things in the mail that I want out of but it's my responsibility to pay them anyway.

I'm sure if your sister was ever in any type of legal trouble or if she was the victim of a crime she would want and expect a jury to show up to the trial. What would happen if every one just ignored it? Tell her to put her big girl pants on and do it.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,762,606 times
I had jury duty in Trenton a couple of years ago. I heard while I was there of a judge who was so disgusted with the "no shows" that he ordered the court deputies to round them all up and bring them in for contempt of court. They were taken from their homes and places of business.

I wouldn't ignore a summons. Technically, she can be charged with contempt of court if she doesn't show up.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,358,875 times
I had Jury duty twice. First time I totally forgot to go. They sent me a letter like 3 months in advanced and I forgot. They never sent me a reminder or something maybe a week before. They sent me a follow-up letter threatening me if I dont show again. Whatever. Trash.

Second Jury duty - Went in Jersey City. Waited hours, took off work (no pay).. Clerk then states everyone can go home and is not needed. WTF??

Jury duty system is run like trash. I have no respect on how the run and handle things.

I say go for it.. Going to jury duty is a major pain and incovience. Maybe if they paid people or actually notified people prompty and not cancelled so many of them after the fact everyone showed up people would respect it.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM

60 posts, read 206,487 times
Why is it some people get called for jury duty every couple of years and others never get called in their life!! I thought they used driver's licenses now. I think they used to use voter registration prior to that. I got called once for jury duty in Newark - got on a case for 5 days. A couple years later, I got called for jury (Federal) one week after 9/11... I went to the Federal Courthouse in Newark and found out it was going to run for like months. I was a commissioned salesperson - no sales - no salary and went before the judge and told him that and I was released.
Got called again a few years later and called the number on the summons the night before and didn't have to show. S o that was 3 times in about 9 years.
My brother in law has never gotten a summons, neither has his wife.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM

555 posts, read 1,649,214 times
I received my first one in the mail this week apparently (I haven't been home yet)... it's for the 2nd week of February... here's the funny thing, we're closing on a home in Gloucester county and planning to move the first week of February. Me, I've always wanted to do jury duty so I have to figure out if I can get out of it due to the relocation and if I really want to get out of it!

Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM

18,412 posts, read 15,121,541 times
It's impossible these days to get out of it. Last time I got called, I was working at St Barnabas, in charge of the burn surgeries at the only burn unit in the state. I told the court clerk that, so she said they would be flexible and let me pick any time in the next 6 months that works for me and my schedule. I couldn't believe my ears. I had to use one of my vacation days to do it.

I went to the Newark courthouse, and they made us stay the entire day, even if we weren't picked.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,502,760 times
Nobody wants to do it. That is why it requires that you show up. You can't expect to live in a lawful country if you don't take your turn. Sometimes it can change your life and it is not always for the better. I consider it a duty just as showing up for the draft that we don't have anymore. Everybody needs to do their share to keep America strong.

Let her know how much honor this will be that she has been chosen. Someone thinks she is responsible enough to make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey