Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times

Advertisements

I was in Garwood once and my wife and I (who were born and raised in northern NJ) never had been there nor have we really heard of the town before. It seemed pretty nice, lots of old houses which we love. Just another typical NJ town it seemed like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
My husband and I were initially looking for a house in Cranford- we loved the town, access to the train, as well as the high scoring schools. We happened to find an amazing house in Garwood that really gave us a lot more for our money and put in an offer…. We are now working through the sale of the home, but I am getting cold feet. Can someone PLEASE give me more info on this small little town?? The test scores for the schools are really low- though we don't have children just yet, we're hoping that will rise. Also- everywhere I look it sees, people are speaking of cranford, clark and westfield- what is the COMMUNITY like in gar wood?? Given that we have never lived in NJ, I really am going into this blind. We want a safe , convenient, FRIendly Community life in the suburbs…. any information on this little town, as far as living there- would be MUCH Appreciated

Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 AM

44 posts, read 61,833 times
You get so many people talking about the surrounding towns because Garwood is so tiny. Garwood sends their kids to Clark's high school, which I attended and is a pretty solid school. I grew up in Clark and started hanging out with the Garwood kids at that point, and the town seemed very similar to Clark to me. If you found good value there, I would think property values would increase just by being next to Westfield, Scotch Plains, and Cranford.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:19 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
You should really stop by for an afternoon and find out. I would consider it more "working-class" than Cranford or Westfield and by that I mean it's locals are more, well, local. They work local, they shop local, it's a nice little town that got passed by when the industrial base dropped out from underneath it. I wouldn't say the people are less educated or anything like that, just that there are fewer stockbrokers and more plumbers (not a bad thing in my mind, plumbers are generally more honest)

But like I said, park your car somewhere, walk around. Go to lunch, stop by downtown and browse the record store, get your car washed, do the things you'd do if you lived there. Go meet your neighbors, and talk with people who live there.

As for schools, don't worry if you don't have kids yet. A lot can change in five years and you might hear about some great Cranford home that you can swing when the time comes or the school district can change and you'll end up perfectly happy. If the direct train thing actually happens definitely expect home values along the line to rise, irregardless of which town you're next to.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 PM

377 posts, read 474,665 times
I have lived in Cranford/Scotch Plains my whole life so know Garwood well. We jokingly referred to it as "Garhood," but to call it scummy or unsafe is pretty ridiculous.

Garwood is not anything like Westfield or the more upscale parts of Cranford/SP, but it's indiscernible from the section of the south side of Cranford that it borders.

Transportation to the city is good with RV train and 113 bus that goes along North Ave.

What primarily gives it the lesser reputation is the fact it's tiny, doesn't have its own HS, has remnants of an industrial past, lacks some charm, and serves as a thoroughfare between two of the nicer downtowns in NJ (Westfield/Cranford). It's really just a series of strip malls and the place people from those towns go to for chains (McDonald's, BK, Saladworks, Quick Chek, Shop Rite, etc.). It has made improvements in recent years with the new condo/retail property on North Ave. Rosie's Wine Bar is a popular spot. It has a bowling alley (a total dive), the Crossroads for live music (also divey, but can be fun), a couple newer restaurants, and a decent pizza place.

Anyway, wanted to share some thoughts as I feel like a number of posts in this thread are misleading. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
I have lived in Cranford/Scotch Plains my whole life so know Garwood well. We jokingly referred to it as "Garhood," but to call it scummy or unsafe is pretty ridiculous.

Garwood is not anything like Westfield or the more upscale parts of Cranford/SP, but it's indiscernible from the section of the south side of Cranford that it borders.

Transportation to the city is good with RV train and 113 bus that goes along North Ave.

What primarily gives it the lesser reputation is the fact it's tiny, doesn't have its own HS, has remnants of an industrial past, lacks some charm, and serves as a thoroughfare between two of the nicer downtowns in NJ (Westfield/Cranford). It's really just a series of strip malls and the place people from those towns go to for chains (McDonald's, BK, Saladworks, Quick Chek, Shop Rite, etc.). It has made improvements in recent years with the new condo/retail property on North Ave. Rosie's Wine Bar is a popular spot. It has a bowling alley (a total dive), the Crossroads for live music (also divey, but can be fun), a couple newer restaurants, and a decent pizza place.

Anyway, wanted to share some thoughts as I feel like a number of posts in this thread are misleading. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.
Garwood is similar in look to that one bit of the south side of Cranford it borders, but the majority of the south side of Cranford actually has very nice homes with nice lots on tree lined streets. Sure, there are far fewer grand Victorians than on the north side but that's because the north side was built up way earlier than the south side and the housing stock on the south side is different. The whole north/south thing in Cranford is overstated and over-exaggerated. The difference is not as massive as people make it seem. Cranford on a whole, yes even most of the south side, is "ahead" of Garwood, if you will.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 11-20-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Garwood is similar in look to that one bit of the south side of Cranford it borders, but the majority of the south side of Cranford actually has very nice homes with nice lots on tree lined streets. Sure, there are far fewer grand Victorians than on the north side but that's because the north side was built up way earlier than the south side and the housing stock on the south side is different. The whole north/south thing in Cranford is overstated and over-exaggerated. The difference is not as massive as people make it seem. Cranford on a whole, yes even most of the south side, is "ahead" of Garwood, if you will.
Garwood is certainly drier than the north side though...

Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 PM

298 posts, read 341,585 times
The train stops in Garwood? Ya could have fooled me! Most of the time it just speeds right through.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Garwood is certainly drier than the north side though...
Drier? As in floods? Nowhere in Union County floods like Cranford, either side of town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey