Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,216,998 times

Advertisements

And for the record, NJ is NOT the only state that is full-service only. Oregon is with us too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 AM

471 posts, read 1,824,897 times
Why are you people so uptight? Dude just asked a question... At least we don't have to pay for a gazzilion tolls down south like you do up there! I lived and breathed it and the low fuel costs do not off set the cost of living/tolls/taxes you have to pay in Jersey. And for the record, Delaware has nice free beaches...

Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 PM

179 posts, read 782,575 times
I live in NJ and will gas up before crossing the state line to pay more and pump it myself. Last month when I was in NM, a self serve state, I noticed a sign at the gas pump. It said for customers with a disability honk horn twice and an attendant will serve you. I didn't know if having a NJ drivers license counted as a disability, so I pumped it BY MYSELF. Yes, a Jersey girl can pump gas.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 PM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Exactly...instead of complaining about a situation that dosen't affect you why not complain about having to pay more per gallon AND having to pay for the privledge of pumping your own...

BTW..I worked pumping gas and other minor tasks as summer jobs during summers. It is my understanding that business insurance rates are greatly reduced when every Tom,Dick,and Harry Don't have access to the pumps. I've never been a service staion owner but was told this by the owners. This I'm sure is slightly reflected in the lower pump prices in NJ.
I'm not "complaining" about it, just curious, LOL. I heard peopel from NJ say how you're not allowed to operate the gas pump yourself and was just baffled by this law. Sure there are weird laws everywhere- I think Florida has one that says you can't sleep naked - but they aren't enforced.

I've never heard of a gas station fire started because someone didn't know how to use a gas pump. Maybe ya'll are just spoiled LOL.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:04 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,690,508 times
I think that it had more to do with people smoking etc while standing right by the gas tank opening while fumes spewed out...like in the summer time...etc.. Of course now a-days with the vapor capture systems that's not really a concern either... who knows...

Ask two people and you'll get three opinions...

Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 AM

123 posts, read 566,670 times
Why would you want to pump your own gas anyway? When it is snowing, raining, freezing or really hot, we don't have to get out. This Jersey kid will never pump his own gas.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 AM

34 posts, read 161,124 times
When in NJ last, I asked the guy if they get tips and he uncomfortably said no. I think they're not supposed to accept tips. One guy I know though, he tips a dollar if they're fast.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,690,508 times
Tipping is usualy not done but it's not outlawed. I pumped gas during the summers. It's a great job especially if you're taking a cpl of summer classes. You can work for a few hrs...go to class...change clothes, go back to work etc etc.

One summer I worked at a station on the NJ turnpike,,,south bound side. Got a LOT of NYC trafffic. NYC folks would sometimes tip if you really did the whole 9 yards...wash front /back windscrren, offer to check oil etc. I guess they were acustom to tipping for everything.. but was the exception, certainly not the rule.

I once had a van full of people who were openly passing a joints around ask me how much further was the exit for Niagra Falls.; the car had NY plates on it.We're in NJ ! And we were on the south bound side in NJ,,,no crossover. !!
I explained to make a left at the first light and you can't miss the signs for the JFK Memorial Highway which takes you right to it.... For those unfamiliar with the NJ turnpike etc , those instructions put you in Newark Delaware !!

there was also hand signals used by the guys to denote whenever a car with contained a sweet young thing sitting in a "compromised" position....the pump would get set to low speed and sometimes the windsheild would get washed many times before they got outta there... a claim of "No Panties" (a special sign ) had to be confirmed by at least one other guy...yes we actually keep score...

Old 05-25-2007, 10:09 AM

34 posts, read 161,124 times
Quote:
I explained to make a left at the first light and you can't miss the signs for the JFK Memorial Highway which takes you right to it.... For those unfamiliar with the NJ turnpike etc , those instructions put you in Newark Delaware !!
that was the rigt thing to do

Quote:
there was also hand signals used by the guys to denote whenever a car with contained a sweet young thing sitting in a "compromised" position....the pump would get set to low speed and sometimes the windsheild would get washed many times before they got outta there... a claim of "No Panties" (a special sign ) had to be confirmed by at least one other guy...yes we actually keep score...
if those gas stations could talk....

Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,070,168 times
I usually tip the gas attendant if they do my windows. After last winter, I hope I NEVER have to pump my own gas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey