Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,158 times

Advertisements

we are a young professional couple looking to buy our first home, we've done some research about Dunellen. We are looking at a couple of houses in the west part of N. Washington Ave. Any thoughts about the area, town, etc? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,780 times
Hi - my partner and I are also looking at homes in Dunellen. Just this morning I drove around the areas of Dunellen Avenue/Washington Ave and I really liked what I saw. We currently have (what I consider to be) a beautiful home in Plainfield, but unfortunately it's becoming a bit too "urban." I liked the "town" feel of Dunellen, plus the prices and taxes seem really reasonable. Considering there are good blocks and bad blocks in every city/town, I was pleased with what I saw. Also, it seems pretty accessible considering it's between I287 and Rt22. I've read posts where people say to stay away from the "east" side of town because it's close to Plainfield. I'd tend to agree. Actually even driving through Piscataway to get to Dunellen you'll go through some nasty looking blocks. But again, once you're IN Dunellen, it seemed pretty nice. I'm going to keep checking to see if you get any replies to your post. Like you, I'm eager to learn more. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM

13 posts, read 44,406 times
I grew up in Dunellen, and lived there until last year. Washington Ave is a very busy street, especially on rush hour, and can be challenging to cross during most times of the day, even more than rt28 (north ave/main st) Downtown Dunellen at night usually has a lot going on, many summer weekends there will be 100+ people hanging around downtown. Many people from plainfield come to dunellen during the summer. Dunellen Bagel (open only until 1PM) makes THE best bagel sandwiches around. Their pork roll, egg and cheese bagel sandwich is legendary. Salt, pepper, and ketchup on top, and a Arizona ice tea on the side and you have the package. The highschool isn't the best (but nothing like plainfield) but 'getting better' the elementary is good. The police are all ex-military and seem power-hungry. The old chief left about 10 years ago and all the officers except Chin left with him. The new ones are all 6 feet tall or more, white, bald, and heavy-built. Except for Chin. As soon as you enter Dunellen on washington and rt28 the speed limit drops and the police set up speed traps right after the signs. Washinton coming off of 22 is bad because 22 is 55mph and then drops to 35 in green brook, then to 25 in dunellen. Dunellen is only 1 sq mile and the speed limit raises again once you get into piscataway. Same on 28 coming from middlesex its 35 then 30 (they just raised it two years ago) then 35 again a mile later. The 'east' side of town isn't any much shadier than any other part, most of plainfield is out of walking distance from Dunellen. Dunellen is also only one train stop away from Plainfield, and every train that stops in dunellen also stops in plainfield. Front st. and prospect ave. are the shadiest, and have crackhouses on them. 28 can also be shady late at night. But you probably won't get jumped anywhere in Dunellen if you don't have problems with anybody. The string of home invasions a few years ago (never solved) was located on the north side of town, and closer to middlesex than plainfield. As were the garages set on fire by a bored firefighter. Most public fights happen in/around parks and downtown, but aren't an everyday sight. Its generally a pretty peaceful town. You can take the train to New York in about 45 mins, with a stop over in newark. somerville in 20mins. plainfield in 5. There are many large families in Dunellen, who have lived there all their lives, and their parents, and so on. They are big on the school boards, courts, admin, and fire dept. You pretty much need to be related to them to get a job there. If you have any specific questions, I'd answer them...

Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,880 times
I have a house in Dunellen Ave. This house is 4yrs old and I did a lot of upgrades. Please let me know if you are interested to see it.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,880 times
Default House in Dunellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieJB View Post
Hi - my partner and I are also looking at homes in Dunellen. Just this morning I drove around the areas of Dunellen Avenue/Washington Ave and I really liked what I saw. We currently have (what I consider to be) a beautiful home in Plainfield, but unfortunately it's becoming a bit too "urban." I liked the "town" feel of Dunellen, plus the prices and taxes seem really reasonable. Considering there are good blocks and bad blocks in every city/town, I was pleased with what I saw. Also, it seems pretty accessible considering it's between I287 and Rt22. I've read posts where people say to stay away from the "east" side of town because it's close to Plainfield. I'd tend to agree. Actually even driving through Piscataway to get to Dunellen you'll go through some nasty looking blocks. But again, once you're IN Dunellen, it seemed pretty nice. I'm going to keep checking to see if you get any replies to your post. Like you, I'm eager to learn more. Good luck!

Hi i'm selling a house in Dunellen Ave. Please let me know if you would like to see it. Thanks

Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 PM

129 posts, read 380,511 times
You'll be just fine in Dunellen. Is it utopia? No. Is it good? Sure!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 PM

199 posts, read 526,097 times
I'd suggest nearby towns like Greenbrook, Watchung, and Metuchen before Dunellen.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 AM

60 posts, read 155,138 times
NJphillyfan - Watchung and Green Brook are most likely going to be out of reach for a young professional. Most homes in Green Brook start in the upper $400s - $500s, and you are not getting too much bang for your buck.

Dunellen isn't a bad choice. In fact, I know a lot of young professionals who live out that way because it is cheaper. Somerset County is hard for young couples. I have friends who live in Dunellen and love it. There are obviously nicer places around there (i.e. Watchung) but you are going to pay more than what is probably possible for you at this point.

The original post was in January, not sure if they are still looking. Metuchen isn't bad, but it really depends on where they are going to be working. If they are going to travel 287 N, Dunellen would be better because you are further up on 287 (and you skip all of the Exit 10 congestion) - if its NYC, Metuchen is a better bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey