Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 21,941 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Me and my wife are planning to buy our first house. Can anyone please suggest me, How are Iselin,Avenel,Linden cities to buy a first house? Any other good cities to recommend for buying a house. I need to commute to NewYork daily. I am looking safe and good community. My max limit is 300K. Also if I can get good school system that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 AM

89 posts, read 444,672 times
Iselin is predominately Indian, whether that's good, bad or indifferent is up to you... Not much experience with the other towns. I do have a friend that owns and rents a house in Avenel, it seems like a nice blue collar neighborhood.

Last edited by mdpesq; 01-14-2010 at 06:44 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:44 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Avenel has a prison, so that's a turnoff for most people, especially for resale.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Having grown up in Avenel and lived there for over 25 years, I can vouch for it's decline over the past 40 years- it's definitely not someplace that I'd spend $300k to live. Over the years, it's become less and less attractive- there's been little investment in the area, many of the houses aren't all the well maintained, and the level of folks who have moved in has deteriorated over time. The schools are OK, but nothing to write home about. If you're considering using the Avenel train station, make sure you buy within walking distance of the station, since there's no parking there to speak off.

Iselin would be a slightly better choice, and the prices have held up better there since the Indian/Asian population continues to buy there. That also helps the schools somewhat, since that population tends to value education and push their kids to do well in school, which raises the bar. We lived in Iselin off Worth Street from 99-2007.

Personally, I wouldn't live in either area anymore, but if you're just looking for a place that's convenient to the trains, fairly safe and has OK schools, either would work.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:26 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Avenel has a prison, so that's a turnoff for most people, especially for resale.
Most people don't even realize there's a prison there, and it certainly doesn't play as big a role in resale as you seem to think. In 40 years, I'm aware of exactly one prisoner who escaped from the prison, and he was caught several hours later.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Most people don't even realize there's a prison there, and it certainly doesn't play as big a role in resale as you seem to think. In 40 years, I'm aware of exactly one prisoner who escaped from the prison, and he was caught several hours later.
Yeah I'm not saying it's unsafe. But perception can play a big role in a town's image. I know a lot of people that grew up in the Rahway/Avenel area and they all used to rank on each other about who lived closest to the prison. Just sayin'...

Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM

89 posts, read 444,672 times
Have you considered Fords at all?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 PM

43 posts, read 164,440 times
I also lived in Avenel, but would never live there again. Over the years, it began feeling less & less safe.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,340 times
Try Colonia. Not sure if you could find $300K homes though.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 PM

234 posts, read 939,647 times
Just for the record, that prison in Avenel is where all of the sex offenders are sent. Somehow, that makes the creepiness factor even worse for me.

Colonia used to be nice, especially the estate section, but I understand that it has also gone downhill lately.

By the way, did you know that neither Avenel nor Colonia are actually real municipalities? They are both neighborhoods that make up a part of Woodbridge.

As for Linden, you have to watch out for toxic waste sites. There were a lot of petrochemical industries in Linden that left some nasty stuff behind after they moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey