Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,607,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Think about that for a minute though, Mike. We're talking about consolidating districts- not consolidating schools. What if you left all the school zoning maps the same, so little Johnny still went to "Muffington Elementary", instead of being moved to that scary "Broville Elementary"? The zones stay, the teachers stay, even the principals stay- we just consolidate the adminstrative staffs from the various sundry districts. Think that'd make people comfortable? Think it'd save any $$?

Heck- let's get really crazy- leave the schools alone, and just consolidate the libraries, health departments, sanitation departments, public works, roads, etc. That'd be a great start, wouldn't it???
bob - people don't understand this, and surprising since this would occur mostly in the wealthy educated areas. i posted a link a few weeks ago where this was voted down by 2 towns in Sussex County this past november. it's really simple - people want all the perks without the sacrifice. they are willing to vote it down and accept higher taxes, all the while complaining about said taxes.

i just find it funny that everyone's thrilled about Bret and his "war on the NJEA", but we all realize it isn't going to matter much. LOL

Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,702,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
also, a serious question - how do you implement merit pay? how on earth can you possibly compare a teacher in a bad school in newark to a teacher in a wealthy suburb like millburn?

hate to say it, but typical christie - big on rhetoric, light on details.

I would think score improvements within a given class in a given school would do the trick. No need to compare Newark to Milburn. How about Newark simply show improvement.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Then why all the venom for Corzine? (rhetorical question, it's off topic).

There is an old saying when you are in a hole stop digging. Unfortunatley Corzine brought in a backhoe.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Not surprising. The Republicans are the enemies of the working people of this country, and of the public education system.
Obviously you don't pay property taxes.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I would think score improvements within a given class in a given school would do the trick. No need to compare Newark to Milburn. How about Newark simply show improvement.
ok. make the tests easier to show improvement. where's my raise?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I am sure the NJEA would love that but the teachers are going to have to teach effectively to get better scores on standardized tests. The same test the kids in Milburn take, I am sure the kids in Newark could compete with anyone given the best teachers. How are you going to attract the best teachers? Give merit pay based upon improvment in test scores. There is a better possibility to get significant increases in scores in Newark than Milburn. What is the incentive now?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,991,242 times
Quote:

You must be confusing NJ with NYC.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am sure the NJEA would love that but the teachers are going to have to teach effectively to get better scores on standardized tests. The same test the kids in Milburn take, I am sure the kids in Newark could compete with anyone given the best teachers. How are you going to attract the best teachers? Give merit pay based upon improvment in test scores. There is a better possibility to get significant increases in scores in Newark than Milburn. What is the incentive now?
have you heard of maslow's hierarchy of needs? a lot of children in newark/camden don't even have the basic needs, they are from broken homes. god himself wouldn't be able to get higher tests scores from kids who don't know where their next meal is coming from, or if they are going to come home to find a needle stuck in mommy's arm. it's not as easy as you think, and standardized tests are NOT an indication of quality education.

how about teachers of special needs children? how do you rank them?

would YOU take a teacher's job in Newark knowing you were rated on your kids improving on tests. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
You must be confusing NJ with NYC.
i have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 AM

9,346 posts, read 20,701,340 times
Quote:
have you heard of maslow's hierarchy of needs? a lot of children in newark/camden don't even have the basic needs, they are from broken homes. god himself wouldn't be able to get higher tests scores from kids who don't know where their next meal is coming from, or if they are going to come home to find a needle stuck in mommy's arm. it's not as easy as you think, and standardized tests are NOT an indication of quality education.
how about teachers of special needs children? how do you rank them?

would YOU take a teacher's job in Newark knowing you were rated on your kids improving on tests. I sure as hell wouldn't.
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey