Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:18 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times

Advertisements

Damnit! I'm honestly a good driver, just unlucky I guess. I was moving with the speed of traffic, really.

Is there a site where you can see how many points you have? I think I may have a few from some years back.

This really sucks. Going 85 and moving with traffic is really not unsafe driving. I now hate Connecticut even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
It depends on the court and if they do the paperwork.

Although today most violation offices and state violation systems are automated and the points will transfer as per current NJ law. It should be two points on your NJ driver's license. If no other violations are committed, those points will drop off in one year or a driver improvement course can be attended.

Insurance points are another matter altogether.
Quote:

Going 85 and moving with traffic
As I travel monthly between NJ and New England states, 85 is not the prevaling traffic. It's only done by those drivers who want to make a target of themselves then complain about the summons. Traffic mosts at 70 to 75. anything over that and expect to be pulled over.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
I have no idea what the difference is between insurance points and DMV/license points.

Can somebody please explain the difference, and what it means to us as drivers?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:15 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I have no idea what the difference is between insurance points and DMV/license points.

Can somebody please explain the difference, and what it means to us as drivers?
It means the insurance companies assign their own points to your policy record regardless of the points used by the state for purposes of suspension or revocation. Some states don't use points at all. So the insurance company has its own point system. That's the point system that determines your rates. If you only have this one speeding ticket there is some chance your rates won't go up. However, a subsequent violation in the next 3 years would kill you. Other insurance companies raise your rates at the slightest possible excuse. If you have one of those, it might pay to start shopping once you get notification of the rate increase.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
As I travel monthly between NJ and New England states, 85 is not the prevaling traffic. It's only done by those drivers who want to make a target of themselves then complain about the summons. Traffic mosts at 70 to 75. anything over that and expect to be pulled over.
I disagree with this. I regularly travel at between 80 and 90 on Interstate highways and the GSP and NJT. It is totally safe in a modern vehicle on modern highways. I am frequently passed by other vehicles even when I am doing the low 80's. If you do 70 on Route 80 in the left lane, you will have endless vehicles tailgating you and creating an unsafe condition. I think most people know this.

However I do not advocate 80-90 for amateur drivers who are playing with their Ipods, GPSs, and cell phones. When I am driving at that speed, I am highly focused and concentrating on 1) moving safely and 2) evading enforcement. Obviously, since I have been driving like this for 20 years with no speeding tickets, I know what I'm doing. Civilian drivers and motorists who possess the typical mediocre driving skill-set should use their cruise control and just stay legal or just slightly north of legal in the interests of their own safety and that of the public.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:51 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Guys,

Driving up to Boston this morning, I got pulled over in Connecticut doing 85 in a 65

$300 ticket, payable by mail.

The cop said that I will not get points on my NJ license, if I mail the payment in.

Does anybody have experience with this?

I'm so pissed. I thought I was going about 75-ish.
that really sucks, tommy - i feel for ya.

i've driven through connecticut many times over the years and got pulled over once, back in the '90s when i was a freshman in college. my situation was similar to yours - i was on I-95 and keeping up with the flow of traffic, which was moving at a fast pace (about 75 mph) despite being fairly heavy. i was not weaving in and out of traffic to get around the other cars, nor was i tailgating anyone; i was simply driving the same speed as everyone else.

suddenly i saw flashing lights behind me - it was an unmarked ford crown victoria.

the cop told me i was "doing 85" and, before i even had a chance to say anything, he actually said, "and don't try to tell me otherwise - another trooper clocked you going at that speed from the other side of the highway, too."

i was so stunned that i didn't even protest. after writing up my ticket, the cop returned to my window and told me, "i'm gonna cut you a break and say that you were only doing 74. just mail in the ticket and you won't get points since you're from out-of-state."

later, as i was driving away, i got more and more upset because i knew that there was no way i was going 85 mph. plus, my friend who was in the car with me suggested that i was targeted specifically because i had out-of-state (nj) license plates. he pointed out that even though everyone else around me was driving at the same speed, the cop went out of his way to pull over the one non-connecticut driver in a pack of ct license plates. he also mentioned how he heard from others at our school that connecticut cops are notorious for this (not sure if this true, but i believe it), especially given how expensive ct moving violations are.

i asked around, and several people at my school who'd also been pulled over in ct told me to just do as the cop said - they claimed that simply paying the fine didn't result in any points for them. so i did just that. didn't tell my parents about it because i figured they'd never find out.

a few months later, my dad called me up at school and berated me about getting pulled over in ct and not telling him, and how my insurance rates had now gone through the roof. i explained the situation and told him that i was under the impression that i wasn't suppose to receive any points, and he responded, "well, the insurance company definitely knows about this ticket."

that's when i found out about insurance points, and how they're completely separate from dmv points. while the cop was technically correct that i wouldn't receive nj dmv points, he didn't mention that my insurance company would find out about the ticket anyway and would use that as justification for jacking up my rates. and considering that i was only 18 years old at the time, my insurance rates absolutely skyrocketed after this incident.

i guess things have changed since then, as according to greenbaypackersfan's link above, out-of-state drivers now get dmv points assessed to their license for moving violations. i wouldn't have known about this since i haven't been pulled over in ct since then.

so now the question is, what should you do?

my first suggestion is that you plead "not guilty" and set up a court date to fight this ticket.

then, look up some traffic lawyers in the area of connecticut where you were pulled over. maybe someone on the connecticut forum can point you in the right direction.

traffic lawyers are always tight with the local municipal judges and prosecutors and thus can help you obtain a favorable plea bargain that will reduce the charge to a non-moving violation that does not carry dmv points (and as a result, will not impact your insurance points, either). if connecticut is anything like new jersey, the local prosecutor and judge will be happy to accept a plea bargain, as all they care about is making $$$ off of you. pulling people over for routine/borderline questionable infractions is quite literally a cash cow for the town.

anyway, call at least 3 or 4 lawyers in that area of connecticut who offer a free initial phone consultation, and ask them about your chances of getting a plea bargain that will eliminate the points. if you decide to retain the lawyer, it will cost you about $400-$500 in lawyer fees (plus the price of the plea bargained ticket), but it's worth it if you want to guarantee that the ticket is taken care of.

you can also skip a day of work and fight the ticket in person at the ct municipal court, which may or may not work in your favor. i know that if i were to get pulled over in nj or ny state, i would go with this route rather than the lawyer, since nj and ny courts seem eager to plea bargain with motorists.

but in connecticut, i'm not 100% sure - might be safer to get the lawyer. plus, a lot of traffic lawyers actually represent clients these days without the client having to appear in court, which may alone be worth the lawyer fees.

definitely ask around on the connecticut forum, and find out how receptive the ct municipal courts are to offering non-point plea bargains.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've said this before, and I am not necessarily recommending it, but when I was pulled over in NY state subsequent to my incident in Maryland, I just ignored it and refused to pay. I received about 3 threatening letters from the NY State police department and/or Syracuse municipal court, and never responded. Those points never transferred onto my license.
mike, so you're saying that the ny state police/syracuse municipal court eventually gave up trying to collect money from you, and at the same time never bothered to report your ticket to the state of nj? that's crazy - you must be incredibly lucky.

does this mean that the ticket was thrown out altogether, or that it's technically still in limbo? in other words, if you were to get pulled over in ny state sometime in the future, would this ticket show up as being unpaid? would there be a warrant out for your arrest? or are you assuming that you're totally in the clear, and that the ticket was ripped up once they gave up trying to collect from you?

crazy stuff, and kudos for somehow getting out of that unscathed.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
tommy - if you have NJM, your rates won't go up.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
mike, so you're saying that the ny state police/syracuse municipal court eventually gave up trying to collect money from you, and at the same time never bothered to report your ticket to the state of nj? that's crazy - you must be incredibly lucky.

does this mean that the ticket was thrown out altogether, or that it's technically still in limbo? in other words, if you were to get pulled over in ny state sometime in the future, would this ticket show up as being unpaid? would there be a warrant out for your arrest? or are you assuming that you're totally in the clear, and that the ticket was ripped up once they gave up trying to collect from you?

crazy stuff, and kudos for somehow getting out of that unscathed.
No I believe he said in his original post that he can no longer drive in New York without risk. If he is pulled over, he would have a problem.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No I believe he said in his original post that he can no longer drive in New York without risk. If he is pulled over, he would have a problem.
Indeed. If mike were pulled over in NY today, he'd probably be arrested. I wouldn't recommend his approach unless you can count on never setting foot in that state again.

Tommy, I've gotten a ticket in Upstate NY. NY and NJ share data, so the points I accrued in NY are known to NJ. I'm not sure if CT is in the data pool too. I did a google search when I got my ticket to find out. I'd suggest you do the same. If NJ and CT share data, then you can expect to get 2 pts on your NJ license. Then it's up to your insurance company to do the research to find out you got them and punish you accordingly. So far, my insurance company hasn't found out. But I haven't given them reason to look at my record. I just quietly pay my bill when it's due.

As far as what speed is normal, I always try to stay below 85. At 80, you're in the herd, as "everybody" does 80. At 85 and beyond, you're almost always one of the faster ones in the bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: