Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 AM

835 posts, read 1,179,805 times

Advertisements

N.J. unemployment rate rises to 10.1 percent | New Jersey Business - - NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/01/nj_unemployment_rate_passes_10.html - broken link)

They will need to extend unemployment benefits for another year, otherwise there will be MASSIVE defaults, bankruptcies, foreclosures in the middle of the year. Unemployment will become a chain reaction and will then go to over 25 percent. NJ is a doomed state,The U-6 figure is what you need to look at -- unemployment is closer to 20%.

I wonder how many people once unemployed found livable wage jobs after. I don't know how this big miracle will be accomplished as a recovery won't come until Real Estate reaches a proper level relative to everything else. Until then people like myself will be eyeballing the southern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
OMG - why hasn't Christie done anything??? I think he needs to be recalled. Anyone with me?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Yes, I'm all for recalling him. And I'm moving to Florida.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
OMG - why hasn't Christie done anything??? I think he needs to be recalled. Anyone with me?
Corzine was the gov in December

Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
N.J. unemployment rate rises to 10.1 percent | New Jersey Business - - NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/01/nj_unemployment_rate_passes_10.html - broken link)

They will need to extend unemployment benefits for another year, otherwise there will be MASSIVE defaults, bankruptcies, foreclosures in the middle of the year. Unemployment will become a chain reaction and will then go to over 25 percent. NJ is a doomed state,The U-6 figure is what you need to look at -- unemployment is closer to 20%.

I wonder how many people once unemployed found livable wage jobs after. I don't know how this big miracle will be accomplished as a recovery won't come until Real Estate reaches a proper level relative to everything else. Until then people like myself will be eyeballing the southern states.
Fourteen states had double-digit unemployment rates for months before NJ hit double-digits for December 2009. Despite that, Congress was very conservative in its last round of unemployment extensions in November and December 2009.

And before you head south, you may want to take a look at the unemployment rates for the past several months in those southern states -- a number of them are have or are heading into double-digit rates as well.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Fourteen states had double-digit unemployment rates for months before NJ hit double-digits for December 2009. Despite that, Congress was very conservative in its last round of unemployment extensions in November and December 2009.

And before you head south, you may want to take a look at the unemployment rates for the past several months in those southern states -- a number of them are have or are heading into double-digit rates as well.
If you are unemployed, wouldn't a lower cost of living be to your benefit? Getting a job at McDonalds for minimum wage would not be enough to even rent an apartment. Flipside in NC or TX, you can get a 1 bedroom apartment and food.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Corzine was the gov in December
Don't you get it?! It DOESN'T matter that he's inheriting a mess! It's his problem now and he's been TERRIBLE about fixing it!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Ah, it's all Bush's fault.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Quote:
If you are unemployed, wouldn't a lower cost of living be to your benefit? Getting a job at McDonalds for minimum wage would not be enough to even rent an apartment. Flipside in NC or TX, you can get a 1 bedroom apartment and food.
You do realize that minimum wage is not going to buy you apartment and food in a southern state anymore than it would here right? Rents in San Antonio, DFW area all start off at $700+ range on average. You can find that same rent locally in South Jersey. Maybe not in a brand new great town but nearby in a fairly safe area. Same goes for down there. The prices differences are not that great overall except for you surely get more house for the money down there. You are talking pennies on the dollar difference. Sure it adds up but not as much as you suggest. I have lived it from both sides.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM

308 posts, read 679,876 times
Block, I agree with your line of thinking. I lost my job in December and my wife and I are about ready to move to the Raleigh Durham area of NC. We are planning on buying a house with cash. We would have no mortgage and taxes are about $1500 a year where we would live. As you said, I could get a job flipping burgers at McDonalds to pay our living expenses until the economy turns around. We could also use the $8000 first time home buyer's tax credit as an emergency fund. I will also be collecting unemployment until June regardless if I live here in Jersey or NC. I hope the government will extend unemployment for the rest of the year. The unemployment rate in NJ is 10.1 for Dec and NC was about 10.8 in Nov. I have just about as much of a chance to find a job in NC as here in Jersey.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey