U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 21,467 times

Advertisements

Hi there. i may be relocating in mt.laurel with my work. Im from michigan near detroit and it is pretty low cost of living around here. My 1st year down there i will probably rent so i can check out the area to see where i would like to buy a house. Where is a good place to live around there thats not too far from mt.laurel say 45 mins tops and that is a nice place and not really expensive? It doesnt matter if its another state aslong as it is close. I currently own a 2004 home bought it brand new for 148k and am looking to rent a nice 1 room appt. for 500-750 a month if thats possible there, as it here by far. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 PM

33,424 posts, read 22,288,503 times
Well, housing costs here are much more than where you are (housing is so depressed in Michigan I would guess is why it is so cheap there), and I don't think you're going to get both a desirable place to live AND 500-700 month rent. Less expensive places to try near there might be Maple Shade or Pennsauken. The good thing is you have a NJ turnpike entrance in Mt. Laurel, so you could get to less expensive but still okay areas like Bellmawr or Blackwood well within 45 minutes. I would suggest looking at a map for towns along the turnpike and near Mt Laurel then starting on an apartment-hunters website and looking up apartments for each town. Once you narrow down the area a little, you can do more extensive research on both the towns and the apartment complexes. Ideally, you would be able to swing a couple of weeks in an extended-stay motel to look at them yourself, or do you have friends or family you can stay with while looking? It is very hard site unseen, I tried to do that in Houston when I went there for 6 months, but it wasn't until I got there that I saw what area I really wanted to live while I was there. I lost a deposit I had sent by mail on an apartment I thought I wanted until I got there.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 AM

691 posts, read 2,830,212 times
$500-700 in rent isn't going to get you much around here. The cheap and decent apartments I recommend are The Meadows at Runnemede in Runnemede, NJ. A 1br is $800.
Mod cut: no links to specific properties

I also recommend the Village at Haddonfield in Haddonfield, NJ. I believe 1br runs around $750-800 range.

Both places will put you around 20-30min to Mt Laurel in rush hour.

Another option would be to share a nice 2br condo right in Mount Laurel with a roomate.

Good Luck.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM

24,661 posts, read 35,654,512 times
There are lots of apartment complexes in Lindenwold/Blackwood/Clementon/Pine Hill which would take you about 1/2 hour to get to Mt. Laurel. They're cheap. What I can't tell you is if they're all that nice anymore.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

29,223 posts, read 28,306,026 times
No, you can't go to Lindenwold or Clementon anymore. The south side of Pine Hill, away from Clementon, is probably OK, as are parts of Blackwood.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...menton-nj.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...indenwold.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-bellmawr.html

Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM

yeah im not expecting a super nice neighborhood to live in just a nice safe ok place no more than 45 mins from mt.laurel and not real expensive as i said before. Its just gonna be a pain as i know most apartments have stoves fridges ect.. and i have all that as well and would hate to store it wonder if any places exist that are bare hehe? thanks so much for helping thus far

Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 PM

33,424 posts, read 22,288,503 times
All of Lindenwold isn't bad, it depends what complex. My brother has lived in an apartment complex on Laurel road for 25 years, and although it's no Cherry Hill, I don't feel unsafe there and he hasn't had any problems. But there are apartment complexes in other areas of Lindenwold, especially closer to the white hirse pike, which I would not want to live in. It really would be so helpful to you if there was anyway you can come up here even for a weekend, rent a car and look around.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM

yeah im hopefully they will take me out there 2 interview me headquarters insted of doing it here. I was there last year for a meeting butdid not look at any homes as i never thought id be living there. we basically just drove from philly airport to mt.laurel

Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 PM

29,223 posts, read 28,306,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
All of Lindenwold isn't bad, it depends what complex. My brother has lived in an apartment complex on Laurel road for 25 years, and although it's no Cherry Hill, I don't feel unsafe there and he hasn't had any problems. But there are apartment complexes in other areas of Lindenwold, especially closer to the white hirse pike, which I would not want to live in. It really would be so helpful to you if there was anyway you can come up here even for a weekend, rent a car and look around.
That's quite true; you can live in the Lindenwold/Clementon area, but I don't think that OP would be able to judge from a distance so I think it might be better to look elsewhere. Theft, robbery and burglary are on the rise in this poor economy so living near an impoverished area will definitely have risks.

Add Echelon and Berlin to your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey