Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 15,071 times

Advertisements

Do I live in the USA or have I missed something being employed for the past 40 years of my life. Unfortunately I lost my job over a year and a half ago and it seems to me that the family courts are not in touch with the financial reality of living in New Jersey and being unemployed.

After having 66% of my unemployment deducted support of three children between two X wives I net 155.00 per week. Now at the age of 59 I have lost my house, lost my savings, no health insurance and can barely pay for auto insurance, gas and a phone and no college degree. I tried to apply for different services but I get the same response that they cannot take into consideration child support deductions so my income level is to high to qualify for assistance?

Are there any radio stations/newspapers/law firms out there that can help I would love to go public about this situation and make it "Front Page News".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
You are 59 and still have minor children requiring child support? If any of them are over 18 & out of high school petition the court to have the support stopped as the courts don't automatically do it. Unless they are in college, then you may have to continue to pay.

Also, do the ex wives work?? If so contact your probation dept and see if an adjustment is in order, they do use a formula.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
Get in touch with a men's rights group -- it's a growing movement to combat the abuses and unfairness of the current system. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM

240 posts, read 580,876 times
7 on your side abc7news.com: 7 On Your Side

Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Get in touch with a men's rights group -- it's a growing movement to combat the abuses and unfairness of the current system. Good luck.
There is a strong one in NJ but for the life of me can't remember the name now...but have put the think cap on

Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the advice sent infomation to Channel 7 News lets see what happens. I actually had my older son emancipated and the court then decided to increase my support for my other daughter same X wife. They did not make her file a full finacial disclosure statement even though the Judge found her in comtempt of order. Instead they called me and asked what I thought her income was??? Then they imputed her income and increased my child support even though I was unemployed and she was working with my son now paying board to her!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild hungarian View Post
Thanks for the advice sent infomation to Channel 7 News lets see what happens. I actually had my older son emancipated and the court then decided to increase my support for my other daughter same X wife. They did not make her file a full finacial disclosure statement even though the Judge found her in comtempt of order. Instead they called me and asked what I thought her income was??? Then they imputed her income and increased my child support even though I was unemployed and she was working with my son now paying board to her!
Go back at them!! Those slugs in the probation office are very very lax..make them do their job.

What county is your support order filed in?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Go back at them!! Those slugs in the probation office are very very lax..make them do their job.

What county is your support order filed in?

I have a friend going through something similar. Both he and his daughter mother work, she's on section 8 and gets almost $1K child support from him and a couple of hundred from her other child father. On top of that she has her baby father living with her (3 minors living in the home). My friend also pays for after school care and summer camp for her outside of what he gives the mother and anytime the child needs shoes or anything he pays. He is now going through the process and expense of having braces put on her teeth.

He just recently went to court for downward modification, when the judge asked the mother if anyone else was living with her or if she was receiving money for the baby she said NO. I told him he was straight up STUPID, I would have been shouting at the top of my lungs YOU LIE.. short story, they only went down on the CS by $17.

These courts or not for the non-custodial parent (most cases MEN), but for the custodial parent that milk the system.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I have a friend going through something similar. Both he and his daughter mother work, she's on section 8 and gets almost $1K child support from him and a couple of hundred from her other child father. On top of that she has her baby father living with her (3 minors living in the home). My friend also pays for after school care and summer camp for her outside of what he gives the mother and anytime the child needs shoes or anything he pays. He is now going through the process and expense of having braces put on her teeth.

He just recently went to court for downward modification, when the judge asked the mother if anyone else was living with her or if she was receiving money for the baby she said NO. I told him he was straight up STUPID, I would have been shouting at the top of my lungs YOU LIE.. short story, they only went down on the CS by $17.

These courts or not for the non-custodial parent (most cases MEN), but for the custodial parent that milk the system.
That's the problem, it's not cut & dried. Each situation is different and while I agree children need to be supported there are some men who never pay a dime and there are women who milk it for all it's worth. When mine graduated high school and became full time employed I started the emancipation process so his Dad did not have to continue to pay.

O/P needs to make some noise at probation. He really needs a lawyer but it seems his finances at present wouldn't be able to pay for it....

Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Default Gratis Legal Rep would be GREATLY ACCEPTED

I thought that some legal team would want to tackle this now and make a name for themselves. Still trying to get food stamps but that seems to be a dead end.

Its amazing after 4 X's and 5 children. The oldest I paid support over 15 years and college, Over 15 years of support for my son and 2nd daughter and now going on 6 years of support for my twin girls age 12.

You would think that since I was laid off and on unemployment some government agency would have a program to help????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey