Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times

Advertisements

Hello eveyrone. I am contemplating a move. We currently live in an upscale townhouse complex in Mahwah -- all very nice amenities, pool, gym, tennis, basketball, etc. We have a yard, both front, back and side (end unit) which is something we were looking for. Also have a driveway and garage. It's very nice, but we might consider moving to a new neighborhood.

We would like to stay in a somewhat more "rural area, and I am not sure if that's even the right word. For example, Fort Lee, which I happen to like very much, is not really an option. My wife is looking more for something like a non-city, and a less urban-like setting. Englewood wasn't an option either. She didn't want to have to do her shopping in downtown Englewood, although downtown appealed to me. We looked at Oak Trail, but she felt that the closest shopping was Fort Lee and Englewood.

When we picked Mahwah, our second choice was Glenpointe in Teaneck. There were not really any yards per se, althogh there were some common grass areas seperating the buildings.

We would like to stay in Bergen or Essex County. I am pretty familiar with various parts of Bergen, but for the most part unfamiliar with Essex.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Hello eveyrone. I am contemplating a move. We currently live in an upscale townhouse complex in Mahwah -- all very nice amenities, pool, gym, tennis, basketball, etc. We have a yard, both front, back and side (end unit) which is something we were looking for. Also have a driveway and garage. It's very nice, but we might consider moving to a new neighborhood.

We would like to stay in a somewhat more "rural area, and I am not sure if that's even the right word. For example, Fort Lee, which I happen to like very much, is not really an option. My wife is looking more for something like a non-city, and a less urban-like setting. Englewood wasn't an option either. She didn't want to have to do her shopping in downtown Englewood, although downtown appealed to me. We looked at Oak Trail, but she felt that the closest shopping was Fort Lee and Englewood.

When we picked Mahwah, our second choice was Glenpointe in Teaneck. There were not really any yards per se, althogh there were some common grass areas seperating the buildings.

We would like to stay in Bergen or Essex County. I am pretty familiar with various parts of Bergen, but for the most part unfamiliar with Essex.

Thank you in advance.
I don't think you are going to get much more rural than Mahwah, which is the most rural town in Bergen County. It was much more rural when I was growing up--lots of woods, fields and farms--but then they built all those townhouses.

Have you considered the upper part of Passaic County? I am not familiar with the townhouse complexes but I know they exist, and it's a little more open. There is shopping along Route 23.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:11 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
it sounds like what you're looking for is a house in suburbia i don't think rural is the word you are looking for, unless you're looking for much more land.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think you are going to get much more rural than Mahwah, which is the most rural town in Bergen County. It was much more rural when I was growing up--lots of woods, fields and farms--but then they built all those townhouses.

Have you considered the upper part of Passaic County? I am not familiar with the townhouse complexes but I know they exist, and it's a little more open. There is shopping along Route 23.
You are right, nothing more rural than Mahwah. I was hoping to find something that might be a "compromise" -- something in the middle, maybe something not as city-like as Fort Lee or Edgewater, or Englewood, but not as rural as Mahwah. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
it sounds like what you're looking for is a house in suburbia i don't think rural is the word you are looking for, unless you're looking for much more land.
No, not more land.

It's more about the area, shopping, the town, etc. Englewood would be nice if my wife didn't have to contend with downtown Englewood. Same with Englewood Cliffs and Tenafly. What about west of Rt. 17, north of Paramus?

Anyone know Essex County very well? Thanks.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
I don't think you'll find rural areas in essex. You could try the Highlands in WO. It's next to Essex Fells country club.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
What about Ramsey? Allendale? Ridgewood? Glen rock?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
What about Ramsey? Allendale? Ridgewood? Glen rock?
Right now we are in Mahwah. Don't get me wrong, it's nice. I would not convince anyone not to move here. It's just not 100% my style.

We haven't looked in Ridgewood, and Ramsey is just the next town over. So far in Allendale we found one complex and it was next to the RR tracks so that was a toss.

Next is Essex County. Got a few leads but just don't know the area well.

Any advice? I was told about a gaited community, built inside or next to a rock quarry or something. Heard it was very nice. Sound familiar?

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I don't think you'll find rural areas in essex. You could try the Highlands in WO. It's next to Essex Fells country club.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

Any other nice townhouse complexes in WO?

Old 02-14-2010, 03:34 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,283 times
WO is very un-city like but it is not rural. I go to college in Mahwah and it is much more rural here than West Orange. The good thing is you are very close to many great outdoor places and it is probably as "rural" as you will get in Essex County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey