Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,585 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Me, my husband and 7 year old son really want to move to NJ. My husband grew up in Tuckerton. We are currently in Raleigh, NC, but are not thrilled with being so far from the beach, plus there's really not too much to do around here.
Any advice on towns for us? We want to be close to the shore and preferrably NYC as well. Also of concern is the public schools. We'd need a 2 bedroom apt, but we don't have the best credit. We have good landlord references.
Any advice?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,678 times
If you want to be on the shore or really close to it, try Red Bank in Monmouth County. Morris County has great schools, but is pretty pricy and a bit of a drive from the shore. Montclair (Essex County) is a nice happy medium. Great schools, view of the NYC skyline, but a bit farther from the shore.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:27 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
How about Beachwood or Bayville? I belive NYC is about 1 1/2 hours away. Parkway is close by to travel north. Sorry, I don't know much about the schools.

Brick might also be an option.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picobearjp View Post
Hi,
Me, my husband and 7 year old son really want to move to NJ. My husband grew up in Tuckerton. We are currently in Raleigh, NC, but are not thrilled with being so far from the beach, plus there's really not too much to do around here.
Any advice on towns for us? We want to be close to the shore and preferrably NYC as well. Also of concern is the public schools. We'd need a 2 bedroom apt, but we don't have the best credit. We have good landlord references.
Any advice?
Thanks!
I currently live in Long Branch, but my daughter is grown so I don't know much about the school system. It's a shore town and they are doing a lot to rejuvenate it--just read that they've hired an engineer to design a new pier to replace the one that burned down thirty years ago and they've torn down houses that were eyesores and built new restaurants and whatnot. I moved here temporarily to save money while I look for a condo in another part of Monmouth County, but I really like this town so far. I work in NYC--it's not a short commute (train), but it's bearable. Even if you don't have to work there, it's fine for day trips. I pay $1400 for a two-bedroom apartment in a two-family house. There are tons of apartment complexes in town, all advertising rental availabilities.

It's near all the shopping, there's a movie theater ten minutes away, Monmouth University is in West Long Branch and there is a theater there that puts on plays.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:50 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Old Bridge is worth exploring.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Colts Neck is very nice. There are some nice semi-rural areas in Monmouth County, quite close to the beaches in South Jersey and not too far from NYC either.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Forget finding a two bedroom apt. in Colts Neck...Long Branch and Red Bank do not have good elementary schools. Would you or your spouse be working in NY, or do you just want to be close enough to go into the city once in a while? This makes a big difference.
If you are not commuting, you could find an apt. in Sea Bright (you'd be right at the beach) and your child would go to Oceanport schools (very good school system). The ferry leaves from Highlands, the next town over. Or you could go a bit west and explore the Freehold Twp. area. There are plenty of condos/townhouses/apts., and the township has great elementary schools. You wouldn't be too far from the beach, and not too bad a drive to NYC. I'd also check out Middletown. You can take the train, ferry, bus, or drive into NY and for the most part, schools are good. Middletown South is ranked higher than Middletown North.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 16,695 times
Your best bet really is Monmouth county. The towns mentioned like Middletown and the surrounding towns would be a good mix of things to do, close to the beach, good schools (some better than others) and access to Manhattan within a reasonable amount of time. Good Luck!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
As others have said, Monmouth County, towns like Aberdeen, Hazlet, Keyport, Old Bridge, Sayreville, Matawan, Marlborough/Freehold area would all be good for you to look into. Those areas are a reasonable distance from everything - the shore, NYC, Rutgers, easy to get to west and south Jersey, and you have easy access to GSP, Turnpike, 287, 440, 9, 1, 35, 36, 34, 18, etc., not to mention plenty of public transportation options - buses, rail, even ferry to NYC.

Also, Monmouth is probably one of the cheaper areas in terms of housing and taxes. They have good schools, nice parks and amenities, and the location (as described above) - all of this makes it a good option. The only thing you will want to do is see is if it will make for a reasonable commute depending on where the wage earner/s end up working.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:06 PM

152 posts, read 308,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picobearjp View Post
Hi,
Any advice?
Thanks!
You can't be by NYC and the Shore...unless you pick somewhere in the middle which is still not really near either...I grew up in Wayne 45 min to NYC hour and a half to the shore...If you guys are not moving b/c of a job I would stay where you are...my bf and I just moved to Charlotte...we were paying $1750 for an apt in Jersey City...My parents still live in Wayne and their Real Estate taxes are $16,000 per year...Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey