Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:06 AM

100 posts, read 420,119 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Piscataway. Its very nice, but it has its areas where you may not want to live and where some cannot afford to live. It has a excellent HS, the school programs were great. I moved out and now am sorry I cant afford to move back in. It has a great rec systrem for kids, parks, near the train stations, good library system., etc. It has its issues as many towns have. you can get on 287 from many points in piscataway. Piscataway has its good and bad. If I had a choice between Piscataway and Edison, it would be piscataway. The River Road heights section, possumtown, new market, are nice. Dunellen may be an alternative- its small, about a square mile, and has a train station. Metuchen is very nice as well. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,293,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
compare Edison and Piscataway, which one is better (environment, school system, communte time and childcare)? We currently have 17-month-old and may plan to have another one some time later. My husband is considering to buy new townhouse(3 bdroom+full basement) in Edison. The zoned school is Edison high, not North Edison so I have a little bit concern. The rating of Edison high in greatschool.net is only 6. However, my husband think North Edison is over crowded and no new community release recently so that most new comers will move to Edison High zone and the rating probably will go up by the time when our 17-month-old goes to high school. What do you think? or we should consider Piscataway instead as it's a new developing town and lots of wall street professional move to the area, too. (we both work in NYC)
Birch Glen at Piscataway is brand new townhouse community that is near Dunellen Train Station ... Birch Glen

School wise, both Edison and Piscataway are very good. e.g. Piscataway High School has 10 students going won top award at FBLA NJ state competition and will represent NJ to Chicaga competet for nationwide award.

By the way, Piscataway High School has two students won Governer's School admission this year which is very hard to get, many schools don't even have one.

For small kids there are 26 newly renovated parks, each has nice big new playground for small kids, and tennis court, basketball court, some has hockey ring, some has baseball field, and there are two cricket ball fields announced to be built ...etc.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 AM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug831 View Post
I will be relocating to NJ and am in the process of trying to zero in on an area so look for a home. I am moving from a quiet community in Upstate NY and was hoping to find something similar, but don't have $500k+ to spend.

I am mainly looking for a safe area that won't be more than an hour drive to Manhattan via the GWB. I know the bridge is a nightmare in the morning, but I would be going across between 12 and 3pm and then back around 7pm. How is it then?

Edison looks like a nice area on paper, low crime rate and affordable home costs...whats the catch? What about the Clara Barton area or Nixon Park?

Any other areas to recommend?
Just passed by Clara Barton area off Rt 1, very nice, many newly renovated buildings ... Also, Rt 1 in that area is expanding, some area already complete ...

Old 06-13-2007, 08:01 AM

276 posts, read 745,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
Agree that Edison has a lot of folks from India. Guys at work (who are recently from India), actually call it "Little India." They tend to put a few families in each single family house... and thus, real estate values have not been trending up. Family members sold at a big loss last year.
i find this very hard to believe, as the prices are around 550k - 600k. thats NOT inflated? thats OUTRAGEOUS. when the home prices in Edison mirror those in Fair Lawn or Paramus, there is a problem.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:17 PM

22 posts, read 113,276 times
Nice thread....
i am looking to buy a house in North Edsion as well, for the school system and short drive to Merto park..

I am wording that house price might fall with the in fax of ONLY indians..

BTW i AM Indian..

Also what are you thoughts on buy a house with pool.. we dont WANT one but comes with thehouse..

does having a Pool reduce the price of ur house in th elong run..

Thax

Old 06-13-2007, 04:03 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
i find this very hard to believe, as the prices are around 550k - 600k. thats NOT inflated? thats OUTRAGEOUS. when the home prices in Edison mirror those in Fair Lawn or Paramus, there is a problem.
Do you know why Danny bought a condo at Edison Hollow South ? He told me he made that decision after he visit his family in California... Any house there are over millions. So, $255k condo is relatively CHEAP!!!

By the way Danny is not Indian, nor his tenant. His tenant couple are while from Seattle, husband going to graduate school at Rutgers, wife working at NYC.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:18 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamla View Post
Nice thread....
i am looking to buy a house in North Edsion as well, for the school system and short drive to Merto park..

I am wording that house price might fall with the in fax of ONLY indians..

BTW i AM Indian..

Also what are you thoughts on buy a house with pool.. we dont WANT one but comes with thehouse..

does having a Pool reduce the price of ur house in th elong run..

Thax
Keep in mind, there are 4 Chinese schools in Edison, and each has hundreds of Chinese families going to...

Also, it has a Korean American mayor, and you can see quite a few Korean churches, restaurants...

It is more a mixed town, but, Edison is #1 India populated town in the US, that's no question. And maybe it is the reason why Edison is top 10 safest town in the nation?

If I were Indian, I would be glad to buy at Edison, Metuchen, Piscataway, South Plainfield, ... or nearby town so that my kids can go to Indian Language school every Friday night at JP Steven High School. Nothing wrong with.

As to pool, you need to maintain it, or you will accumulate mosquittos. My brother-in-law's house at Piscataway has a nice pool, but eventually, he did not maintain property, and neighbors complained and Health Dept came. But his father is 4H gave him a tip to put some gold fishes that will eat mosquittos.

So, every year he got complain and Health Dept inspector came and found no mosquittos. Eventually, this white neighbor called building inspector and claim that the pool can not be used as fishing pond ...etc. He took it off because he decided his kids are small, it is dangerous to have a pool anyway.

He said if he got Indian or Chinese neighbor, he could have saved the pool as fishing pond. Most Asian would not come to you to give you hard time.

So, find out your neighbors first to see if they will give you a hard time ... Don't get me wrong, white American have their good points, but they are too picky on certain things. They are more used to rule based system, and not much tolerance and often cause huge catastrophy (and of couse make huge successful projects too if on postive side). Asian are more Fussy Set oriented, there are grade area between RIGHT and WRONG.

Confucious said, the big things should not violate the law, the small things on and off are ok.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:10 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,921,254 times
One question. is there only one high school in piscataway? for somehow I saw dunellen high school in some listing..

Old 06-14-2007, 04:46 AM

276 posts, read 745,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
Do you know why Danny bought a condo at Edison Hollow South ? He told me he made that decision after he visit his family in California... Any house there are over millions. So, $255k condo is relatively CHEAP!!!

By the way Danny is not Indian, nor his tenant. His tenant couple are while from Seattle, husband going to graduate school at Rutgers, wife working at NYC.
you are comparing apples to oranges. in no way can you compare nj to calif for real estate. and 255k for a 1 bedroom condo in Edison is a crime. that is criminal. this is not downtown manhattan, nor the lower east side. nor is this along the golden coast.

you see, the theory goes, the closer you are to the city, esp. along the transit lines, the more you ought to pay, due to proximity and ease of commute. so along that line of thinking, how much ought paramus to be for a 1 bedroom condo, if edison, over a 1 hr commute to nyc, cost?

of course edison is cheaper than san francisco, or long beach. no one on earth will dispute that. but to say that 255k for a ONE BEDROOM CONDO in a town that has little to offer but half of it has 1 great school system is sometihng else. And is this condo in south edison? in my opinion, it should be no more tahn 150,000 MAX.

look at guttenberg, galaxy. a 1 bedroom there is around 225k. and they are right on the river. and they offer amenities galore.

why are you comparing edison to california? relatively speaking in californian terms, it is somewhat cheap. so is texas. but contrast edison to guttenberg galaxy, and try to explain the price differential.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:48 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,190,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
One question. is there only one high school in piscataway? for somehow I saw dunellen high school in some listing..
dunellen is a different town, in nj there are many small towns and only a few share services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey