Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 AM

332 posts, read 990,726 times

Advertisements

Since I can't seem to get a straight answer from the zoning department in my town I thought I would ask here about a specific issue I'm having. My back yard is approximately 100' x 75' and I need to fence it because we just got a chocolate lab puppy who the vet says will probably reach 90-100 lbs as a fully grown adult. Needless to say a 6 foot fence is in order all the way around the property if I expect to keep him in. The regulations in my town read that a 6 foot non-transparent (basically anything other than chain link) fence must be set back 2' from the property line, which is perfectly reasonable. However, I have neighbors on both sides with two different fences. On one side is a 6 foot stockade fence which belongs to my neighbor and runs nearly the length of my property line. This is a bonus for me since it's about 80' of fence that I don't have to buy, but the way the 2' setback rule reads it doesn't seem to follow that I could butt my fence up against his (for instance at the corner of the property) in order to create an unbroken barrier for the dog.

On the other side is a four foot chain link fence which belongs to my other neighbor. That fence is fine for now but will not serve as much of an obstacle to the dog once he is fully grown. I want to run 6' stockade fence down that side of the property, but again, reading the 2' setback rule literally, it sounds as though I would end up with a 2' gap between my neighbor's chain link fence and my stockade fence which would first of all be unsightly for my neighbor and second of all be nearly impossible to mow making it even more unsightly. Am I reading too much into the rules? Has anyone here dealt with a similar situation in their town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
I'm surprised if that is the rule. The only setback my town had was from the road and it's to make sure that the fence doesn't obstruct a driver's view coming down the street. 4ft and under there is no setback rule even then. A space between neighbors fences is a problem that zoning looks to avoid because there is no way to maintain the area between the fences. Could you try going into the office with your survey and and ask them to show you where the fence would need to go?

We did a 6ft fence on 3 sides of our property. Like you, our next door neighbors had a 4ft chain link so we didn't do that side. They also got a chocolate lab puppy. We all expected her to "visit" often because she's a like a very friendly, small horse. She's older now and still has not come over so you really might not have to do the fence at all.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
You are lucky. Setback here is 20'. And not that is not a typo.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:50 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
On the side with the chain link, he has a 2' setback and so do you; that's 4 feet between the fences. In my area, backyard fencing is to be placed 3 feet from the property line or at the line. One neighbors side fence is at the line. The posts for my fence (from the house over to the property line) stop a few feet from that line. A piece of fence panel fills the gap, so I didn't have to fence on that side. The neighbor on the other side has the small panel and uses our side fence. The 0' or 3' setback means that we're all legal.

On the side by the stockade fence, you might get away with the filler panel. I'm not sure how that'd work with the chain link. I'd try to figure out what other people in the neighborhood do.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Have you considered the underground dog fence? A few of our neighbors have them and you never see their dogs outside their yard.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Have you considered the underground dog fence? A few of our neighbors have them and you never see their dogs outside their yard.
Unfortunately, a VERY motivated dog will STILL leave. Not to mention all the other animals and people who can still GET ON your property and could harm the dog/home.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:38 PM

7 posts, read 39,869 times
Hi, I have 2 Chihuahuas. They were both raised in VA. We had a chain link fence all around the back yard but removed one side in order to make a large parking lot for a big RV. No fence on one side and 2 little dogs. We put in an electric fence on the open side. Placed the flags and it took one day, and one little shock to keep the dogs aways from the electric fence line. They hear the beep and never get near the shock. The dog lived with that for 10 years and never ever crossed the line no matter what came around. He ran up and down the line like a dart and people thought it was funny. We did not even put on the collar anymore. One is now 11 years old and the other is 9 years old and have moved to Florida. New fencing laws all over.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 16,126 times
I have a side yard that goes from the road in front of my house all the away to the back of my property that I would like to fence in. what is the minimum setback for a 6 foot fence from the road in the front yard? I live in south hill, Washington.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 14,023 times
Chain link fences should be against the law. Strong rainfall flow goes threw the fence holes like a faucet. This causes a hose like effect to the earth which then causes damage & erosion problems.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:49 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
You are lucky. Setback here is 20'. And not that is not a typo.
My lot is only 50' wide. So I guess I could have a 10' wide fenced in yard :>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey