Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Sure, but NJ voters didn't vote for Christie over Corzine 4:1. That suggests that this board is more heavily Republican than NJ.
It wasn't 4 to 1, but the election results bore out the following: white, non-Hispanic voters went to Christie 68-32, or 2 to 1. And he only won by 4%. It would be interesting what the board's ethnicity/racial composition is, because that would go a long way in explaining the 4 to 1 edge that Christie had in the poll taken on the C-D forum.

It's incredible in the aftermath of the election, that this point wasn't really emphasized. It illustrates to me that NJ right now is polarized between the cities and the adjoining suburbs + hinterlands. For instance, in towns like East Orange and Irvington, the vote went to Corzine at a rate of 9 to 1. I can (and should) map the election results by town, just to illustrate, and overlay the demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
I didn't vote for Christie or Corzine, I voted for a third party candidate. Does it really matter who is in office anymore? I truly don't believe anyone can clean up the mess that is NJ. I'm glad we have Tahiti to shut out the lights though.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I didn't vote for Christie or Corzine, I voted for a third party candidate. Does it really matter who is in office anymore? I truly don't believe anyone can clean up the mess that is NJ. I'm glad we have Tahiti to shut out the lights though.
I am starting to feel that way, but I think that pessimism is not exclusive to NJ. Look at all the governorships nation wide right now. Almost all of them (with small exceptions in the northern plains) are up against tremendous deficits. This happens every recession, but this one feels like it has more of a long term feel to it. I said it during the campaign: I don't know why Christie, Corzine, Daggett, etc would even want the job. How do you reconcile a 22 billion dollar hole in the state deficit, without both slashing spending while raising fees on some type of service (extant the perfunctory income or gasoline tax hikes, which are also looming).

Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I didn't vote for Christie or Corzine, I voted for a third party candidate. Does it really matter who is in office anymore?
To some extent it doesn't, because the state supreme court (a) seem to have a Marxist-leaning interpretation of the constitution, and (b) aren't shy about making rulings specific enough that they effectively require the legislature to create certain bills (e.g. push too hard against Abbott and COAH and you run afoul of the court)

Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Coming after who? When did teaching become so political, its about teaching kids not making politicians happy. I am sure most teachers are very worried.
It became highly politicized because it is an industry that is largely run by the government which is a political entity.

This inevitably means that the unions, on behalf of their workers take their arguments directly to the government (the government is their employer, so who else would they negotiate with ?)

The fact that their primary role is to lobby the government for favourable treatment (not just contracts but also legislation that results in the contracts they want) makes them political.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
It became highly politicized because it is an industry that is largely run by the government which is a political entity.

This inevitably means that the unions, on behalf of their workers take their arguments directly to the government (the government is their employer, so who else would they negotiate with ?)

The fact that their primary role is to lobby the government for favourable treatment (not just contracts but also legislation that results in the contracts they want) makes them political.

Isnt this statement true for every single person in this country. Gain power in some way and get what you want. Am I missing something or is this country not based off this model? Wait this isnt Utopia? Wow I have been soo wrong.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
[/u][/b][/i]

Isnt this statement true for every single person in this country. Gain power in some way and get what you want. Am I missing something or is this country not based off this model? Wait this isnt Utopia? Wow I have been soo wrong.
No, there are some businesses that become profitable by actually producing something of value to their clients and/or customers instead of focusing on how to pick the taxpayers pocket more effectively.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
With current economic and financial status the way it is... It does not matter who voted for who in my opinion. It's all about incumbents getting ousted regardless (in most cases) of political affiliations.

If my two cent as voting US Citizen mean anything, supreme court's block on ban on corporate political spending limit was a hugely wrong decision. With round of critical elections coming up that could change the scene of congress... This is going to be some serious issues in my view and I think we'll be see & hear far more ads on TV, radio, internet, and pretty much all form of media.

It very well could be battle of corporations and unions that favor certain political stances of specific candidates and dumping helluva more money into political races...

While most regular individual citizens are going to get bombarded with so much ads that it'll be more difficult and possibly more confusing to hear the real message (if there are any) by the candidates

Old 02-04-2010, 08:20 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
No, there are some businesses that become profitable by actually producing something of value to their clients and/or customers instead of focusing on how to pick the taxpayers pocket more effectively.
What businesses are you taling about that dont have lobbyist in D.C.? Auto? Oil? HealthCare? Go ahead tell me which on of the fine businesses you speak of have no influence at all in D.C.?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
What businesses are you taling about that dont have lobbyist in D.C.? Auto? Oil? HealthCare? Go ahead tell me which on of the fine businesses you speak of have no influence at all in D.C.?
I can assure you that my employer doesn't have a lobbyist in DC (and my co-workers certainly don't have lobbyists either). I work in the software industry.

But that's beside the point, which is that even those auto and oil companies for the most part have to actually sell a product to people who want it instead of forcing taxpayers to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey