U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,570,862 times

Advertisements

You know, people need to start considering the lesser of THREE evils. Don't be scared to vote for an independent just because they might not win. It's the fact that people ONLY vote based on party that we're on the mess we're in.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,511,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Churchill's war exploits didn't mean he would make a good PM. Check out Christie's record as heading up the office of US Attorney.
How does being a US Attorney make him qualified to be Governor ? I would rather go for the X-CEO even though our last governor was a CEO that failed as governor. A successful business background may not be a guarantee of success but it has to help.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 AM

12,381 posts, read 24,563,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
How does being a US Attorney make him qualified to be Governor ? I would rather go for the X-CEO even though our last governor was a CEO that failed as governor. A successful business background may not be a guarantee of success but it has to help.
Well hopefully in 2012 Mayor Booker will run for office and replace all of Christies mistakes , i think are state is about to get worse , sure Corzine was bad , but at least he had some exprince. ppl in this country need to start looking at who they are electing.

~Corey

Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 AM

15,630 posts, read 12,163,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
First......yes Christie was elected but that hardly disproves anything.....he was in most eyes the lesser of two evils......he ran against an opponent that had lost the respect and confidance of the public.....he may as well have run against Hitler.
Second......stop the nonsense with the calorie counts......people are far less "tolerant" concerning many issues today just because its become a much harder world to survive in, but especially concerning smoking and "fat"......people don't want to hear the "poor me" routine and pay for others health problems whether it be financially or through discomfort when all it takes to eliminate most of those health problems and discomfort is some will power......people have their own problems to deal with and find solutions for that they didn't create for themselves......what I and everyone expects is for people our us to act responsibly....if that means they have to exercise more because they are "afflicted" with slower metabolism rather than sit on the couch jambing Twinkies in their mouth then thats what I expect them to do.......not just gobble more Twinkies and then cry poor me when their bathroom scale disintegrates under their feet.
This is the response I thought you would give. If Christie's weight was a factor for you in the election, I am pretty sure you were in the minority.

You totally miss the point on the other weight issue as well. Can you really tell me that you dont know anyone who works out every day and eats less than you but is still overweight??? There are plenty of people out there who do not eat "twinkies and cry poor me", but you would like to put all overweight people into the same category. That is convenient, but it doesn't work in the real world. I deal with people's health issues every day, and it is usually pretty clear to me which patients truly struggle every day and make a huge effort and which patients just dont give a damn.

By your logic, if a person pays more taxes, they should be able to eat themselves into oblivion, because they are paying for 10 people's health care above and beyond their own health insurance. Conversely, by your logic, someone who is poor should be watched every minute to make sure they dont eat any ice cream or smoke a cigarette because we will have to pay for them. Now I know you dont see things that way, but you cant have it both ways. You cant have your cake and eat it too. lol.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well hopefully in 2012 Mayor Booker will run for office and replace all of Christies mistakes , i think are state is about to get worse , sure Corzine was bad , but at least he had some exprince. ppl in this country need to start looking at who they are electing.

~Corey
Which mistakes? Can you be more specific, or are you just going on the assumption that he will make mistakes because he has an (R) after his name? If he does make a lot of mistakes, I will be the first person to say "vote him out" but so far, I like most of what he has done.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM

12,284 posts, read 33,125,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Which mistakes? Can you be more specific, or are you just going on the assumption that he will make mistakes because he has an (R) after his name? If he does make a lot of mistakes, I will be the first person to say "vote him out" but so far, I like most of what he has done.
which is what? borrow an additional $1B? tax corps? have a transition team that suggested he put tolls on 80, 78, etc?

he's been in office 2 weeks. he hasn't done anything bad or anything good. he's said a lot of stuff though, so if said=done, then ok.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 AM

17,043 posts, read 16,649,053 times
Quote:
Which mistakes? .... or are you just going on the assumption that he will make mistakes because he has an (R) after his name?.
Bingo

Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,034,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
which is what? borrow an additional $1B? tax corps? have a transition team that suggested he put tolls on 80, 78, etc?

he's been in office 2 weeks. he hasn't done anything bad or anything good. he's said a lot of stuff though, so if said=done, then ok.
Bingo

Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

I think you are concentrating too much on this part of my post, without any mention of the rest of the post, but for the sake of clarity, I like most of what he is saying. BTW, he said he has no plans to add tolls, so it matters little what a transition team suggests. I like the fact we finally have someone who says "NO. We have no money for that!" I like the fact that he is willing to take on the unions. I like the fact that he is saying that he is going to lower my taxes, but you are right about one thing, lets wait and see before we start judging him one way or another.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,511,360 times
Quote:
This is the response I thought you would give. If Christie's weight was a factor for you in the election, I am pretty sure you were in the minority.

You totally miss the point on the other weight issue as well. Can you really tell me that you dont know anyone who works out every day and eats less than you but is still overweight??? There are plenty of people out there who do not eat "twinkies and cry poor me", but you would like to put all overweight people into the same category. That is convenient, but it doesn't work in the real world. I deal with people's health issues every day, and it is usually pretty clear to me which patients truly struggle every day and make a huge effort and which patients just dont give a damn.

By your logic, if a person pays more taxes, they should be able to eat themselves into oblivion, because they are paying for 10 people's health care above and beyond their own health insurance. Conversely, by your logic, someone who is poor should be watched every minute to make sure they dont eat any ice cream or smoke a cigarette because we will have to pay for them. Now I know you dont see things that way, but you cant have it both ways. You cant have your cake and eat it too. lol.
First.....I didn't vote for either so weight was not an issue for me.
Second.......the OP has posed this question after the election I guess to get a radom perspective from those on City Data.
Third..... I'm 62 and I'm 6ft and 195lbs and I "struggle" to maintain a respectable weight.....I eat right and run/jog several times a week. The only running Mr. Christie appears to do is to the fridge. If we listened to you point of view because maintaining a healthy weight for many is difficult its reason to give up and just eat yourself to death and in the process becoming a liability to those who have to pick up extra cost on their health insurance because you have no will power. I don't care if your rich....if your grossly overweight I don't want the seat next to you on a plane and if you smoke I don't want to be near you in a restaurant. Money doesn't give you the right to so over ndulge that you become unsightly or a burden to those around you. I don't want to be the fireman who has to haul a 500 lb heart attack victim down a stairwell in a 6 story building.....at some point people have to take responsibility for their own health and well being.........whining that "its hard" is no excuse for the 1/3 of the American population that has allowed themselves to become grossly overweight. While smoking is just downright stupid in this day and age ice cream is just fine.......in moderation......everything in life, even foods that are bad for us, can be enjoyed from time to time.....in moderation !!! Those of us that work hard and do the right thing for ourselves and those around us are getting tired of picking up the bill for the irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey