U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 33,080,273 times
Reputation: 5268

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think you are concentrating too much on this part of my post, without any mention of the rest of the post, but for the sake of clarity, I like most of what he is saying. BTW, he said he has no plans to add tolls, so it matters little what a transition team suggests. I like the fact we finally have someone who says "NO. We have no money for that!" I like the fact that he is willing to take on the unions. I like the fact that he is saying that he is going to lower my taxes, but you are right about one thing, lets wait and see before we start judging him one way or another.
I was just picking a nit, you said what he's "done", not what he "said", so thanks for clarifying.

I just don't know how's he's going to lower taxes.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,950,657 times
Reputation: 1586
The people who are against Christie because of his weight are just ignorant. If they are ignorant about the causes of obesity, they probably are ignorant about everything else too. Do you care about the opinion of an ignorant person?

BTW I know a retired conservative republican former state employee who thinks Christie is the biggest crook yet.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
15,487 posts, read 12,092,717 times
Reputation: 11072
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
First.....I didn't vote for either so weight was not an issue for me.
Second.......the OP has posed this question after the election I guess to get a radom perspective from those on City Data.
Third..... I'm 62 and I'm 6ft and 195lbs and I "struggle" to maintain a respectable weight.....I eat right and run/jog several times a week. The only running Mr. Christie appears to do is to the fridge. If we listened to you point of view because maintaining a healthy weight for many is difficult its reason to give up and just eat yourself to death and in the process becoming a liability to those who have to pick up extra cost on their health insurance because you have no will power. I don't care if your rich....if your grossly overweight I don't want the seat next to you on a plane and if you smoke I don't want to be near you in a restaurant. Money doesn't give you the right to so over ndulge that you become unsightly or a burden to those around you. I don't want to be the fireman who has to haul a 500 lb heart attack victim down a stairwell in a 6 story building.....at some point people have to take responsibility for their own health and well being.........whining that "its hard" is no excuse for the 1/3 of the American population that has allowed themselves to become grossly overweight. While smoking is just downright stupid in this day and age ice cream is just fine.......in moderation......everything in life, even foods that are bad for us, can be enjoyed from time to time.....in moderation !!! Those of us that work hard and do the right thing for ourselves and those around us are getting tired of picking up the bill for the irresponsible.
Again, you seem to gloss over the fact that you want to have it both ways. You say that someone doesn't have the right to be overweight because it costs the rest of us money. Well, that is no different than saying that people do not have the right to be poor because it costs the rest of us money. That is no different than saying it IS ok for a rich person to be fat because they are contributing multiple times their "fair share" to pay for the uninsured of NJ. But when I bring THAT up, you try to change your reasoning to the fact that they are a burden, but they are not, because they are rich and they pay people to deal with the burden. Nor are you sitting next to them on a plane because they are sitting in first class with plenty of room between them and the passenger in the next seat.

Now that we have a scenario where they are of NO burden to you whatsoever, they still dont have a right to be fat because they are "unsightly". Unsightly to whom? Who decides who is "too unsightly" to exist? If I think that you are unsightly, can I force you to have a face lift?

I participate in MANY bariatric surgeries. These people go through psychological testing before we allow them to have the surgery. Surgery is very dangerous for these people. I would rather have a 90 year old skinny patient than a 30 year old 400 pounder any day. Yet these people risk their lives to have this surgery, so you cant tell me that they are just fat because they dont want it bad enough. There is a lot more going on there. For some it is psychological, for others it is physical. After the surgery many keep it off for years, and some end up stretching out their stomach again and gaining it all back. You cant tell me those people just need to "eat less".
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:21 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,503,420 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You say that someone doesn't have the right to be overweight because it costs the rest of us money.

Are you saying it doesn't ? If not then my point stands.

Now that we have a scenario where they are of NO burden to you whatsoever, they still dont have a right to be fat because they are "unsightly". Unsightly to whom? Who decides who is "too unsightly" to exist? If I think that you are unsightly, can I force you to have a face lift?

I never used the term "unsightly".....thats a term you have introduced......I said overweight......and no matter how unsightly my face is my waist doesn't spill over both sides of my plane seat and onto the laps of both people sitting on either side of me making their flight uncomfortable. I'd sooner tolerate a screaming child on a plane next to me than the overweight guy I see carrying the hoagie under his arm onto the plane to maintain his nutritional needs on that 2 hour flight from AC to Tampa.

I participate in MANY bariatric surgeries. These people go through psychological testing before we allow them to have the surgery. Surgery is very dangerous for these people. I would rather have a 90 year old skinny patient than a 30 year old 400 pounder any day. Yet these people risk their lives to have this surgery, so you cant tell me that they are just fat because they dont want it bad enough. There is a lot more going on there. For some it is psychological, for others it is physical. After the surgery many keep it off for years, and some end up stretching out their stomach again and gaining it all back. You cant tell me those people just need to "eat less".
Next time your doing your psychological testing ask the 400 pounders why they think they have the right to eat themselves silly and then expect others to feel sorry for them and make compensations for them because they have no self control. Then ask them why they can't just give up the Tripple Whopper with special sauce and super sized fries and super sized drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner and EXERCISE instead of electing for surgery ? As far as surgery goes I'm sure many do elect for surgery because its the easy way out.....just staple my stomach and aside for the discomfort of the surgery they save themselves months/years of responsibility they don't wish to assume....and even then most will eat themselves silly again and balloon back up to the weight they used to be. I'm sorry.....but unless its truly a serious medical condition that they have no control over I have little sympathy for those that eat, drink or smoke themselves into an early grave and affect my comfort while doing it.
Finally......Mr. Christie may prove to be an excellent governor but its 2010 and appearance counts and overweight sends the wrong message about your personal habits and self control whether your the governor or just the average joe going on a job interview.

Last edited by FlyersFan; 02-08-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
15,487 posts, read 12,092,717 times
Reputation: 11072
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan:
I never used the term "unsightly".....thats a term you have introduced......I said overweight......and no matter how unsightly my face is my waist doesn't spill over both sides of my plane seat and onto the laps of both people sitting on either side of me making their flight uncomfortable.]
You better go re-read your own words. I didn't introduce "unsightly", you did. Fruedian slip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan:
"Money doesn't give you the right to so over ndulge that you become unsightly or a burden to those around you."
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
15,487 posts, read 12,092,717 times
Reputation: 11072
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I just don't know how's he's going to lower taxes.
Good question. I'm not sure how he plans to cut income tax either. I guess we will find out...or not.
I strongly believe that lower corporate taxes lead to higher tax revenues, overall. If companies WANT to move into the state, they bring jobs, and income taxes that dwarf the losses in corporate taxes.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,503,420 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I just don't know how's he's going to lower taxes.

Slip those taxes between a double whopper with cheese and he might eat them ?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,503,420 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You better go re-read your own words. I didn't introduce "unsightly", you did. Fruedian slip?

Does it make a difference....fat is unsightly.. unless perhaps you find it attractive ?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
15,487 posts, read 12,092,717 times
Reputation: 11072
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Does it make a difference....fat is unsightly.. unless perhaps you find it attractive ?
It's not my thing, but there are plenty of people who do. Who are you to tell them they are wrong?

But I think you are skirting the issue. You said that money doesn't give you the right to become unsightly. You are partially right in that it is not money that gives you that right, it is living in a free country that gives you that right. And again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You use the money that fat people cost society as your reason for not liking fat people, yet you extend your disgust to those that are not only paying their own way, but for the health care of 10 poor people to boot.

So it's the money, but it's not the money.

Personally, I think you dont like fat people merely because they are fat
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,503,420 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Personally, I think you dont like fat people merely because they are fat
I can't speak to that on an individual basis but if your asking do I find fat unattractive.....yes I do.......as unattractive as smoking. I see "fat" and smokers as weak willed individuals that know what they are doing is wrong but refuse to accept responsibility for their own well being. I think most of the responsible people today are tired of those who chose not to be responsible but want others to pick up the tab for their irresponsibility. Throw that cigarette away or get off your butt and run around the block and stop expecting others to make concessions for your lazy, irresponsible ways. No smoking in public buildings and restaurants is just the tip of the iceberg regarding what people are fed up with.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top