Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 PM

5 posts, read 20,559 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to NJ from CA. People we know in the area have recommended these three towns to us. Thoughts on how the personality of each town compares? Schools? Overall quality of life?

From what we've been able to see online, it seems like Livingston's schools are better... but how much better? We'd be able to get a little more bang for the buck in Montville. (Commutability to NYC is not a factor.)

Any other nearby towns you prefer? We're a family with small kids, so we're looking for a nice town with great schools and a family-oriented community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
What is you budget? I like Mountain Lakes much better than Montville. I like Madison better than Livingston. But I like smaller towns with smaller schools.... YMMV.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Ideally somewhere in the 700s.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 PM

101 posts, read 460,325 times
All 3 of those are great choices- Montville has a beautiful HS campus. Its also real easy to hop on 287 or 80, 46 to rt3, which are great for commuting. North Caldwell is a nice somewhat secluded on top of a plateau. North Caldwell and Montville are probably pretty close as far as school quality, the house you will get for the money. Livingston is another good choice, but you will probably not see as much house for the money- probably 15-20% more expensive. You are also in South west Essex county, so your commute might be different.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 AM

12 posts, read 29,694 times
You cannot beat Montville!! Probably why it has been on the Best Places to Live In listing forever!! Schools are fantastic (better than N Caldwell - reference to previous message from IanErikson). Plus - you get more land for your money and taxes than N caldwell - that's the difference between Essex county and Morris in most cases.

Montville has great community offerings, excellent public library, superb recreational program, beautiful parks (even a dog park) .. the list goes on and on. Certainly not as crowded as the other areas you mentioned.

Note: Montville TWP is made up of 3 sections: Pine Brook, Towaco, and Montville (proper). I prefer Montville, then Towaco. But it really depends on each individual person. I like the Valley View elementary school - which is in the Montville section of Montville Twp - but they are all great.

One big factor in choosing your town would be commuting. I know you said it is not a factor - so I am assuming no one will commute to Manhattan. But even commuting within NJ can be challenging. So keep that in mind when choosing your town to reside. I have moved around a bit - and yes, commuted to Manhattan as well - I have found Montville to be the best place!!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the information, NJDweller! I might send you a message later if I have any more questions.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
I recomend Livingston. It's got some of the best schools of the 3 cities you mentioned, it's very safe, and it's within reasonable distance from the city, and the TPK and GSP, so you have easy access to go visit anywhere you please.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM

315 posts, read 871,191 times
Im just south of NorthCaldwell> (caldwell)- -
That and Essex Fells next door are some of the top of the line towns in essex cty-
Montville(Morris cty) is a bit too rural for me ,and Livingston is nice but its near rt.280 and a lot of Newark traffic comes thru there , the Eisenhower Parkway & RT10- - However>>>
Given a choice Id take N.Caldwell-(I think the Sorprano House is available)
All big time area$- best of luck

Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 AM

12 posts, read 29,694 times
CaliKT - No problem - reach out any time and send a message with questions - I'll answer as soon as I can. It is so hard to make these decisions and the more information you can get first hand the better.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
I'd consider Chatham, Madison and Westfield also. These towns have more transplants than Livingston (I think) or N.Caldwell (pretty sure on that one, that it is mostly Jersey people). Housing is pricey though, but may be doable for someone coming from CA.

Where is the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey