U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,219 times

Advertisements

My husband, kids and I are finally considering the relocation to a northern NJ home from NYC. For excellent schools and reasonable taxes, we would be willing to spend up to $1.7m for a home with nice greenery (we'd rather spend much less). Beyond great schools, racial and ethnic diversity is also a value for us, as is some degree of walkable civic life (sidewalks, restaurants, maybe some cultural institutions, decent parks). Lastly, we work in NYC and will need to commute, preferably by public means.

Is ours the impossible dream? Any thoughtful suggestions or serious observations would be most appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,317,495 times
Money and conscience? That's like oil and water...

Anyway, with your budget I'd recommend Ridgewood or Montclair.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM

2,865 posts, read 8,974,419 times
I'd recommend Basking Ridge or Chatham. I know some nice people that live in both those places, and both commute to NYC. That area is in your budget.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 17,024,905 times
If you can find a better place to live than Peapack Gladstone with direct train service to Manhatten I would like to know. Those Millionaires in the late 1800's who brought the train directly to their country homes knew what they were doing. The luxury spa at Natirar is located in Peapack Gladstone along with some of the most beautiful scenery in NJ. You might find something comfortable for 1.7M. Cheap taxes are another story.

Good luck.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,006,895 times
Glen Ridge--the section close to Montclair.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,006,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
You poor thing. Can't afford a house 2mm plus.

Our hearts bleed for you trying to find the impossible dream.
In NJ 2 million doesn't buy you much. For that price expect a very small house in an okay area.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,978,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadProf View Post
My husband, kids and I are finally considering the relocation to a northern NJ home from NYC. For excellent schools and reasonable taxes, we would be willing to spend up to $1.7m for a home with nice greenery (we'd rather spend much less). Beyond great schools, racial and ethnic diversity is also a value for us, as is some degree of walkable civic life (sidewalks, restaurants, maybe some cultural institutions, decent parks). Lastly, we work in NYC and will need to commute, preferably by public means.

Is ours the impossible dream? Any thoughtful suggestions or serious observations would be most appreciated.
I'd second some of the other recommendations -- look into Glen Ridge, Montclair and Ridgewood.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 PM

30,877 posts, read 31,504,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
In NJ 2 million doesn't buy you much. For that price expect a very small house in an okay area.
OK, it's bad, but it's not that bad. You find the best school districts in the target area then compare to walkable town areas. Or, you find the town, house, and if the schools aren't up to snuff, send the kids to private.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM

32 posts, read 65,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadProf View Post

Mod cut

I think Montclair is what you're looking for. Very good private schools in the area too.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-09-2010 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Not apropos to the question at hand.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 10,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Kidding, right? My parents have a 2k sqft house and the final cost after buying + fixing it up is right around $500k and we're in Bergen county. One of the worst counties for buying houses in NJ.

But then again, you might consider 2k sqft small. I sure as hell don't though. It's more than enough for a family of 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>