Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:31 PM

28 posts, read 101,964 times

Advertisements

Ok seriously is it so hard to have police officers patrol the streets 24/7. I mean you can see people selling drugs, they aren't blind. This whole government is so corrupt..

Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,779,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
Hi all. I am moving from Westchester Co. in NY and I have found an apartment I looove in believe it or not.. Newark!!! It is spacious, clean, has washer/ dryer hook up-- plenty of closet space, and it is affordable!!!

I am not naive and I realize there are drugs and other crime in Newark. But it seems to be like most metro cities in the US. I felt like when I was there searching that it is an environment that if you mind your own business, stay in and be smart.... life will be ok.

My concern is I have small children (two are school age). Are there ANY good schools there? Surrounding the apartment are other families and single persons who have nice apartments and work hard.

My kids safety is #1 so are the horror stories exaggerated? Does anyone have any personal accounts?

Thanks for reading and any responses!!!
Here it is simple:

You live in Westchester County NY, Newark is like the worst parts of Yonkers and Mount Vernon, only they cover most of the city.

Ain't no better way to put it.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:23 AM

16 posts, read 55,043 times
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and I found out by looking up crime rates for cities in America. I am pleased to meet everyone. I hope you are all well. I am a white, teenage boy, with lots of experience in travelling to places, and I am pleased to give my opinions on things, in a nonbiased and non-racist manner.

The answer to your question, in my opinion, is no. I live in northern New Jersey and have frequently visited Newark. I definately recommend a visit to the Ironbound section, which has wonderful Portuguese food, and will be a cultural experience of a lifetime. I would recommend also a visit to the part of Newark that is next to Bloomfield, New Jersey (Branch Brook Park). However, stay away from the part of Newark that is next to East Orange. A lot of crime occurs in this area, and I really do not think you want to be caught up in this crime. Take Highway 21 south past the new stadium that the devils are building by Penn Station and you will find a lot of nice housing there, including apartments and condos. You will definately enjoy Newark, and other than the part next to East Orange, it has became a much better city!

Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,775 times
The cultural experience of a lifetime? Do you live in Iowa? LOL.....

Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 PM

12 posts, read 50,268 times
Default Newark

Newark has gone nowhere but downhill for about 50 years and try as they might, it hasn't been able to climb out of the abyss. Neitheer has Irvington, Hillside, East Orange and many of the surrounding communities where crime is rampant. Unless there is an overriding, absolute reason you absolutely have to live in Newark, I'd advise you to look elsewhere. I was born and raised there and worked law enforcement until I too moved out, never to return if I have any say in the matter,

Best of luck and be safe.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,070,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Newark has gone nowhere but downhill for about 50 years and try as they might, it hasn't been able to climb out of the abyss. Neitheer has Irvington, Hillside, East Orange and many of the surrounding communities where crime is rampant. Unless there is an overriding, absolute reason you absolutely have to live in Newark, I'd advise you to look elsewhere. I was born and raised there and worked law enforcement until I too moved out, never to return if I have any say in the matter,

Best of luck and be safe.
Newark has not 'climbed' out of the abyss but it's not nearly as bad as it was in the 80's 90's

Old 07-21-2007, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Newark has not 'climbed' out of the abyss but it's not nearly as bad as it was in the 80's 90's
Of course it not as bad as in the 80's and 90's hello you're 4getting the riot only happened in 1950 or around that time but it still crap no matter how much money that mayor put into newar he only focused on one section of Newar downtown ironbound sectiopn wow What an improvement and it so bad that blacks can't stand living down there whoever Caucasian think that how all minorities want to live in poverty stricken communities as an Caucasian myself I have friends of vast races and that not true at all I wish people not only white put all america would wake the hell up and anyone who has an issue with my post and doesn't agree with were i'm coming from then **** off

Old 07-21-2007, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 3,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Oh and 66nexus check out the post named Lyndhurst Comfortable for African-Americans? Ithink you'll be very interested trust me!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,775 times
These posts make no sense. If you want to discuss urban realities-why do it on a site that appeals to suburbanites mostly?

In any case city-data is not the place to have a valid informed discourse on inner-city affairs. There are many other sites where you can have an intelligent exchange-some of them deal with Newark specifically.

Why waste your time with the same lame posts over and over? They do not inform and result in the lowering of the bar on this forum. That may not be the intent but it sure is the result.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:16 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,070,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
These posts make no sense. If you want to discuss urban realities-why do it on a site that appeals to suburbanites mostly?

In any case city-data is not the place to have a valid informed discourse on inner-city affairs. There are many other sites where you can have an intelligent exchange-some of them deal with Newark specifically.

Why waste your time with the same lame posts over and over? They do not inform and result in the lowering of the bar on this forum. That may not be the intent but it sure is the result.
Not for nothing but the name of the post is 'Is Newark really that bad?" which to me falls inline with all problems and inner-city concerns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey