Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I got the day off, but I would go to work no matter what. Look at it as an adventure.
A perfect example of why I decided to stay home. I don't need my truck sitting in a body shop for two weeks because somebody decided to have themselves "an adventure."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:57 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
What is the business (the type, not the specific business)...

personally I'd say stay home, it is not worth it out there. It is pretty bad. I went out at 830 and its significantly worse now and not stopping.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
personally I'd say stay home, it is not worth it out there. It is pretty bad. I went out at 830 and its significantly worse now and not stopping.
You're not kidding. My wife needed to fill a prescription so I cleared off my truck, shoveled the area in front of it just to get a jump on the snow, and drove her to the drug store (less than 10 minutes away) and waited in the parking lot for about 15 minutes while they filled it. By the time we got back home there was an inch on the driveway again.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM

336 posts, read 1,296,096 times
I can't tell you how many times I went into work when it snowed, one time it took me 3 hour to get home, the normal drive time is 17 minutes, or should I say was. I'm now unemployed after 35+ years with the same company. When they closed the doors that did say thanks for all the times you came in when it snowed.

On your death bed I'm sure you wouldn't be saying I should have gone to work when it snowed.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I'm going to assume Just Flossin; that you're female...because I think it's a very female thing to feel guilty when we're not doing anything wrong

I think part of the guilt I feel when I don't go in due to snow is because even though I know it would have been foolhardy and was the right decision, I definitely enjoy being home during a snowstorm - so that makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong!

Unless you're a nurse, firefighter, power company employee, etc., don't feel guilty! You are helping the community at large by staying home, as news keeps showing roads and highway ramps that are blocked due to people getting stuck, thus preventing plows, salt trucks and emergency personnel from getting to where they're needed.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,420,374 times
Hell yeah, I'm with everyone who says stay home. Life is too short to risk wasting all the travel time and potential danger just for a noncritical job. There's nothing that can't wait until the next day or can't be done remotely these days. That said, if you can, it's definitely a good idea to get as prepared as you can to work remotely. I bought my first real computer back in the winter of '94-'95 when there were 17 snowstorms; I worked in the city and several times got stuck in multi-hour traffic backups. Once it took me almost 8 hours to get home to Dover.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I went in, but my commute is a simple walk to the train. The car and bus commuters were not around today.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
My company decided to close on Wed and Thurs because of the snow. It's a wise decision and I think it's easier for them since we are small. I worked from home anyway because I do have users from other part of the county. Even if they had opened, I would still have worked from home. I do IT work so there isn't much that I can't do from home.

I think it's ultimately down to you to consider the risk of trying to commute in such weather. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking about commuting to work and not the trip home.

Whatever you do, just stay safe. Don't put yourself or others at risk by trying to get to work if you are not up to it.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Work ethic anyone? I went to NY, put in a full day and came home without a problem. Plan on doing the same thing tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Work ethic anyone? I went to NY, put in a full day and came home without a problem. Plan on doing the same thing tomorrow.
You drove? Driving, roads are the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey