Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 AM

158 posts, read 589,990 times

Advertisements

I didn't go to work today. I work for a private company in an essential but low-level (low pay) position and they made the decision to open today. I could have gotten to work but with huge snow totals being forecasted, I felt like I wouldn't be able to make it home safely.

I can't help but feel guilty about my decision, even though I know it was right for me. Why risk totaling my car or killing myself just to go to work for one day? If I woke up to 4-6 inches on the ground and the storm was done, I'd make the effort. But with the storm just beginning...it's a different story.

What are your thoughts about going to work during massive snow storms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Whether you're in a high pay or low pay position its your choice whether or not you can come in or not. No decision is right or wrong because if you don't feel comfortable driving your car on the road then don't come in...you'll be a liability to others on the road. Also if you don't have a good car or especially tires on the car for this, then I'd recommend not coming in. You never want to go out on the road if you're going to make yourself a liability for getting stuck or slipping.

On days like this, its tough...there wasn't much in the morning but the weather people kept saying its going to intensify (which it has by me at least). So you're stuck whether to believe the weather man or not. Don't feel guilty about it...in the overall scheme of things its one day out of a whole work year.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:08 AM

158 posts, read 589,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Whether you're in a high pay or low pay position its your choice whether or not you can come in or not. No decision is right or wrong because if you don't feel comfortable driving your car on the road then don't come in...you'll be a liability to others on the road. Also if you don't have a good car or especially tires on the car for this, then I'd recommend not coming in. You never want to go out on the road if you're going to make yourself a liability for getting stuck or slipping.

On days like this, its tough...there wasn't much in the morning but the weather people kept saying its going to intensify (which it has by me at least). So you're stuck whether to believe the weather man or not. Don't feel guilty about it...in the overall scheme of things its one day out of a whole work year.
I'm fresh out of school and I guess I'm trying to make a name for myself and feel like things like this count against me, especially in a position that doesn't stop for snow, holidays, etc. But at the same time, if I were to crash my car, with liability only, I would get no insurance money and couldn't afford to go buy a new car tomorrow so I would be screwed.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:15 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
When I lived in NJ, I used to take my laptop home with me the night before any forecasted snowstorm, and make the decision when I woke up regarding whether I was going to work from home or drive in. Since even the slightest bit of snow could easily turn my normal 45-minute commute into a 3-hour event, most days I just stayed home.

Why spend 3 hours trying to get to work, then have everyone in the office spending the day checking the weather forecast, blabbing about the snow, etc., and then spend 3 more hours driving home, all while taking your life in your hands? I could get much better use of my time by working from home, and didn't risk getting killed by some idiot in an SUV who doesn't understand that "4 wheel drive" doesn't equate to "4 wheel stop".

Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I could get much better use of my time by working from home, and didn't risk getting killed by some idiot in an SUV who doesn't understand that "4 wheel drive" doesn't equate to "4 wheel stop".
My commute is an hour and fifteen minutes as it is so I called and told them I wouldn't be in. I have the phone and the blackberry so I can work on anything that's urgent, but since the rest of New Jersey is just as caught up in the storm, losing a day isn't the end of the world. Bob is right in terms of the 4 wheel drive thing-yesterday I was talking with some of my co-workers and one of them remarked to me that I had no excuse because I drive a 4 wheel drive F-350. I asked her how good she was at steering a 7,500 lb truck out of a skid Needless to day I'm enjoying sitting at home with my wife and the dog, tending to the fire in the wood furnace, and getting projects done around the house.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
I have a job where there is a minimum number of personel deployed. So if I or we don't show up the other person gets stuck until i or we show. So like usual I leave early. Now the problem comes up, is my relief going to come in.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Going to or from work in a bad snowstorm and then having a $1,500.+ fender bender will have you second guessing your decision for years. Better to stay home and let your employer be PO than you.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
I got the day off, but I would go to work no matter what. Look at it as an adventure.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 AM

877 posts, read 2,838,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Flossin' View Post
I'm fresh out of school and I guess I'm trying to make a name for myself and feel like things like this count against me, especially in a position that doesn't stop for snow, holidays, etc. But at the same time, if I were to crash my car, with liability only, I would get no insurance money and couldn't afford to go buy a new car tomorrow so I would be screwed.
Yeah I hear ya, it's really tough out there getting a decent job. I was shocked my place closed today, but my girlfriend had to go to work and I remember her boss called out last time and guess who had to go in and cover. Now today the boss is still acting ungrateful and inconsiderate and threatened to write her up or something if she got there late.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Flossin' View Post
If your bosses made it in, there is no doubt they look around and see who made the extra effort to come in. If they stayed home then who cares...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey