Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM

276 posts, read 588,949 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to NJ, and am having problems finding anything decent online. Is there just nothing good available for under $550k in these areas (I'm also open to other suggestions as I know that Bergen County is quite pricey):

Paramus
Park Ridge
Ridgefield
Rivervale
Washington Township
Woodcliff Lake
Wyckoff

Essentially we'd like to be no more than 20 or 25 minutes from the Garden State Plaza area.

Am looking for a minimum 3 bed/2 bath home, 1,800 sq ft, and preferably newer kitchen/bath if possible. I need the schools to be good, they don't have to be the best. Would like a nice neighborhood/cul-de-sac if possible. So far everything I see online in that criteria is closer to 1,600 or 1,700 sq ft, old, and nothing redone...

Thanks for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
where are you commuting to for work? GSP area?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:02 PM

276 posts, read 588,949 times
Actually my wife and I both work at home, so commute is no problem. We just like the general area, proximity to the malls, route 17 shopping, etc... Also prefer to be Northern NJ as we have family in Rockland and Westchester.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
oh that is nice! maybe midland park, waldwick, ramsey, allendale, mahwah?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:58 PM

138 posts, read 509,862 times
$550K is actually a pretty generous budget for your criteria. Having just SCOURED the inventory in Bergen County in the past 8 months, I can tell you this much:

Paramus: excellent town, possibly the lowest taxes in Bergen County.
Park Ridge: a good prospect.
Ridgefield: used to be a decent town; now overrun by immigrants standing on street corners looking for employment opps from contractors. REALLY brings the town down.
Rivervale: great town but at that price, you'll get is a fixxerup.
Washington Township: should find a great deal there for that price.
Woodcliff Lake: fixxerups only at that price range.
Wyckoff: potential exists there.
Westwood: fantastic deals in a wonderful town. The downtown area is positively beautiful. There's one area with a span of 4-5 blocks which is horrendous (sorry, can't recall the area; it'd come to me if I looked at a map).
Hillsdale: another fabulous town with great deals.
River Edge: awesome town neighboring Paramus.
Oradell: you could do well there but the updated homes priced well sell very quickly.
New Milford: Great town but look out for the flood zones.
Dumont: Another nice town; again flood zones.

The NJMLS is your best option to search for homes. They've got neighborhood info as well as school data, etc.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-11-2010 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: NO soliciting/marketing your business, regardless of how subtle you think you are.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
How about adding Fair Lawn to the mix? 550K will go further there than in most of the towns mentioned, it's right next to Paramus, and taxes are more reasonable than most of the other towns mentioned (except Paramus). Schools are very good. 2009 report cards were released the other day and Fair Lawn HS has the second highest total SAT score in District Factor Group GH, beaten only by Paramus (which is a bit more affluent than Fair Lawn). (Distric Factor Groups are a measure of socioeconomic status put out by the NJ Department of Education. A is poorest, J is wealthiest.)

Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Try Emerson and New Milford, also. Especially Emerson.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,442 times
Fair Lawn would be perfect. 550K can get you something nice. Schools are great, town is safe, extremely close to Garden State Plaza and excellent community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey