Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times

Advertisements

and plows you back in. What to do???? We move our cars in the driveway so the plow can do a good job, but the driveway apron has boulders of ice from the plow that you can hardly shovel. We tried keeping a car on the street as our street is not an emergency route. We also tried leaving the car stick out of the apron a bit so the plow can't come to close to bury us in. I was wondering your thoughts as I watch a neighbor who can't shovel the ice boulders from the plow to get out for work, and goes over it with his SUV only to inspect for damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
This is SOP in the outer burbs/rural areas. I dug out the driveway twice so far. If the plows come by again I'll be out there again. Driving over ice bolders is not a good idea.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
This is SOP in the outer burbs/rural areas. I dug out the driveway twice so far. If the plows come by again I'll be out there again. Driving over ice bolders is not a good idea.
Yeah I tried driving over ice boulders once because I was too lazy to shovel and bent my gas tank.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
It sucks, but then again I guess we can't expect the plows to stop at every driveway, don't know what the solution is. It's not just the burbs, don't know what my poor mom in NE Philly is supposed to do - it is all street parking and the cars were buried by the plows. They said not to put the snow back into the street when you shovel, yet you can't put it on the sidewalk either, so where is it supposed to go?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,622 times
yea i have the same thing in our town. our driveway was shoveled and we put our snow to the sides not in the street. but we ran out of room to put the snow. we have 10 foot walls of snow on the sides of our driveway.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
We also tried leaving the car stick out of the apron a bit so the plow can't come to close to bury us in.
Ummm...the town has much more insurance than you do and plow drivers have a hard enough job as it is. Sticking your car out in the road is a great way to get the bumper ripped off-either intentionally or unintentionally. You just have to keep shoveling it periodically until the road is completely clear and they're no longer plowing.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM

101 posts, read 460,325 times
you deal with it- I turn the nozzle on my snowblower so it blows snow as close to as i can, from going into the street(since its gonna be coming back!). I had to use the snow blower twice yesterday, early morning and 4pm, and once again this morning, it wasn't too bad each time. I bet I could have shoveled it too without too much problem. If you let it keep building up its really tough to get through.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanErikson View Post
you deal with it- I turn the nozzle on my snowblower so it blows snow as close to as i can, from going into the street(since its gonna be coming back!). I had to use the snow blower twice yesterday, early morning and 4pm, and once again this morning, it wasn't too bad each time. I bet I could have shoveled it too without too much problem. If you let it keep building up its really tough to get through.
bingo

Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
yep I was out yest morning, yest afternoon, yest evening, and again this morning. it was alot of work but im glad I was only shoveling 4-5 inches each time instead of 20 inches at one time. My back and my little 2hp snow blower would have both revolted. lol

Old 02-11-2010, 05:28 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
That is what I did, shoveled yesterday twice as the plow went back and forth several times with the first wave of snow. The plow didn't come anymore and through the night, more snow accumulated and woke up to another plow this morning blocking the driveway so couldn't keep up with it during the night. A nice neighbor has a snow blower and cleared the apron. We're in central Jersey which got hit the hardest with 18" at least.

More snow Monday night or Tuesday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey