Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,119 times

Advertisements

Looking to move from South Florida. I am single white male mid thirties, active cyclist and would need some help as for recommendation to were to live.

My job will be in Newark. Were would be a nice area were outside work hours I can safely bike run? Are there any nice gyms there (sports club LA type) ? Would you recommend me arriving with or without my car? Insurance to Newark is 2.5 more expensive than what I currently pay. Any ideas if there are funrnished month to month rentals?

Any other fun stuff there, recommendations on what to do in free time etc? Any nice church there?

I appreciate all you input. Thanks in advance and God bless you all!

Last edited by brightrafy; 02-13-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
You can help us help you more if you provide more information: what is your monthly rental budget? How much of a commute is tolerable?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
There is a New Sports Club on Hwy 21 next to the MC Donald's (how ironic) You would need a Car in Newark , since the Bus and Rail networks are so good , and regional wise aswell. other then that i don't know anywhere, where there would something to rent , but try the Ironbound , North of I-280 and Downtown.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-13-2010 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: No signatures.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:10 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightrafy View Post
Looking to move from South Florida. I am single white male mid thirties, active cyclist and would need some help as for recommendation to were to live.

My job will be in Newark. Were would be a nice area were outside work hours I can safely bike run? Are there any nice gyms there (sports club LA type) ? Would you recommend me arriving with or without my car? Insurance to Newark is 2.5 more expensive than what I currently pay. Any ideas if there are funrnished month to month rentals?

Any other fun stuff there, recommendations on what to do in free time etc? Any nice church there?

again, budget ? I had a serious cyclist friend who worked at Rutgers. He had a route (about 70 miles) that started by going through Branchbrook park, then through Montclair, Little Falls and up to Lincoln Park. The Watchung mountain ridges make for a nice bike ride.

There's a New York Sports Club in the Gateway center (connected to the PATH station). Montclair also has a NYSC.

I'd suggest Montclair if you can find a place within your budget. The downtown is very walkable, good cycling/running routes. You could take a train to work (you won't want to cycle into downtown Newark, traffic is crazy ... ) and the area is bike friendly enough that you could bike to do your groceries if you need to go outside of downtown.

Another (cheaper) option would be the North end of newark on the light rail. You'd be near Branchbrook park (do loops of the park if you want shorter ~20 mile rides and you're still more or less on the afore-mentioned bike route)

Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,682 times
Where are you working in Newark. You can take the train, light rail, or bus to work if needed. Since you seem to be looking for something with safe areas to run/walk I would recommend outside of Newark for the most part. I'm going to agree with the last poster about Montclair and North Newark.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM
MXG

19 posts, read 83,447 times
hmm, if u plan on working AND living in Newark you can forget about the car and bike - someone will STEAL them also you're better off investing in a bullet proof vest. Working in Newark may not be so bad (if you dont work nights) BUT to live in Newark???? you couldn't pay me to live in Newark. I'm sure you'll see some houses and/or apartments/condos - NEW builds for cheap. hmmm why dont you ask yourself why???? newark is a horrible place to live. Ppl constantly getting shot, robbed and killed. You're better off staying in South Florida or commuting into newark from another town in Jersey. good luck!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXG View Post
hmm, if u plan on working AND living in Newark you can forget about the car and bike - someone will STEAL them also you're better off investing in a bullet proof vest. Working in Newark may not be so bad (if you dont work nights) BUT to live in Newark???? you couldn't pay me to live in Newark. I'm sure you'll see some houses and/or apartments/condos - NEW builds for cheap. hmmm why dont you ask yourself why???? newark is a horrible place to live. Ppl constantly getting shot, robbed and killed. You're better off staying in South Florida or commuting into newark from another town in Jersey. good luck!
That is very ignorant to say , and i guess you have never been to Newark. Its Changed and is safer. Crime id down 28% , and the city is on the up swing with ppl pouring back in along with investments. Only 3 neighborhoods are still bad. Newark isn't even close to Camden's crime and corruption. Do some research before you spit out lies and crap.

~Corey

Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,901,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightrafy View Post

I assume you are going to be renting? I so or not let us know--and also let us know how much you want to spend per month on rent/mortgage. There are affordable and nice areas not far from Newark that meet your criteria.

Welcome to NJ!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Check out Maplewood/SO. You can take the train right into Newark so no need for an immediate car, they are both walkable towns. For a gym, there is a NYSC in Newark, I have never been in it, so don't know how nice it is.

There are a few smaller scale gyms right in Maplewood/SO, you won't find anything in the area similar to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey