Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 26,169 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone here looked in Tri-State area before picking Maplewood. From my perspective:

Good points
It seems to me that the Maplewood area represents better value in terms of property prices. The houses in general are more attractive with modern finishes and renovations. There seems to be a thriving artistic and cultural community in Maplewood and South Orange, something that's hard to equal in pretty much any other town in Tri-State, with the possible exception of some of the River towns (although those communities are much smaller). The close proximity to Manhattan is a plus (30-35 minute commute) as are all the amenities like Trader Joe's in Millburn, Short Hills Mall, and South Mountain Reservation. Moreover, it's easy to find a place that's walkable to the train and town. Quite easy in fact to have only one car. People, especially those with young families like me, seem to genuinely love this area with a passion that's hard to find anywhere else in the Tri-State area.

Bad points
However, there's the congestion of New Jersey (traffic and tolls everywhere) and the pitiful state of the surrounding communities like Newark and Irvington. Then there's Grand Central vs Penn Station, with the former being a far more attractive commuting hub. It seems New Jersey is in worse shape financially (at least compared to Conn., maybe NY too) with a looming property tax reassessment planned and and lots of dire predictions about severe cutbacks in services. Finally there's the raised eyebrows when you mention a move to New Jersey. That's something some people just can't seem to fathom and I'm concerned with raising children who will be teased about being from Jersey. Maybe that's over-played. I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey