Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:35 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Orion99 - If you do move to NC, I hope you'll be "poor enough" to enjoy it! For me, it was easy because NC doesn't levy a state income tax on my federal pension, but for say, a retired cop, you might be in for a shock when you find out that NC taxes you up the ying-yang on your pension. NJ's highest income tax bracket comes in for incomes greater than $250,000. In NC, that highest bracket (nearly 9%) starts at $60,000. I've met so many NJ & NY folks who were "crowing" that they saved a fortune with NC's low property taxes, only to start crying when they find out that the NC income taxes have nearly erased any savings on the difference in property taxes between the two states. Shop carefully by state, for "overall taxes" before you move. I also found that NC is a lot more greedy than NJ when it comes to inheritance taxes too! For very wealthy people, NJ may turn out to be cheaper than they think! Paradoxical isn't it?
Comparing NJ and NC side by side
NJ
The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > New Jersey
In 2009, out of 50 states NJ
11.8% of income the State/Local tax burden (read property taxes) = highest in nation
mod cut: copyright violation

NC
The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > North Carolina
In 2009, out of 50 states NC
9.8% of income the State/Local tax burden = 20th in nation
Mod cut: copyright violation

There are some other comparables I'd love to see on these charts, the most significant I think is food. I'd love to gauge the food costs between states, because this is one hidden consideration: I think food in NJ grocery stores is actually cheaper than the national average.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-17-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 PM

414 posts, read 296,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Orion99 - If you do move to NC, I hope you'll be "poor enough" to enjoy it! For me, it was easy because NC doesn't levy a state income tax on my federal pension, but for say, a retired cop, you might be in for a shock when you find out that NC taxes you up the ying-yang on your pension. NJ's highest income tax bracket comes in for incomes greater than $250,000. In NC, that highest bracket (nearly 9%) starts at $60,000. I've met so many NJ & NY folks who were "crowing" that they saved a fortune with NC's low property taxes, only to start crying when they find out that the NC income taxes have nearly erased any savings on the difference in property taxes between the two states. Shop carefully by state, for "overall taxes" before you move. I also found that NC is a lot more greedy than NJ when it comes to inheritance taxes too! For very wealthy people, NJ may turn out to be cheaper than they think! Paradoxical isn't it?
Wow! good to know. Perhaps Panama would be better for me.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Comparing NJ and NC side by side
NJ
The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > New Jersey
In 2009, out of 50 states NJ
11.8% of income the State/Local tax burden (read property taxes) = highest in nation
mod cut: copyright violation

NC
The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > North Carolina
In 2009, out of 50 states NC
9.8% of income the State/Local tax burden = 20th in nation
Mod cut: copyright violation

There are some other comparables I'd love to see on these charts, the most significant I think is food. I'd love to gauge the food costs between states, because this is one hidden consideration: I think food in NJ grocery stores is actually cheaper than the national average.
Yes Mike, Food is more expensive in NC. An example: Thomas's English Muffins $2.99 regular price. The other kinds with raisins or whole wheat are $3.99 and don't forget the 2.5% sales tax on food!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:35 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,640 times
Quote:
I couldn't disagree with #4 more. In fact, I think that's a big reason why many choose to stay in Northern New Jersey. It's been discussed almost to death in this forum. Northern New Jersey's suburbs, along with Western and Southern Connecticut, and Massachusetts, are most definitely the safest in the country. It's a testament to the high population density that these figures are mostly as low as they are. Suburbs with comparable population density outside of the Northeast and Upper Midwest have much higher property (and personal) crime figures.

The OP mentioned crime when crime has gone down for 3 years straight. That's obviously why people aren't moving. People are leaving Jersey period because the cost of living is expensive and on top of that, there's really nothing over here that's worth it.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:

I keep hearing about these huge food price disparities, but I'm not seeing it. At first, I felt like I was paying a lot more for food in GA, but after looking at prices in NJ when I was there in November, it's not as big of a difference as it first seemed. I figure I'm spending +/- an extra $10-15/week on groceries at most, which equates to $500-750/year. Add in the 2% sales tax on food (on +/- $150 in groceries a week), and that's another roughly $3/week, or $150/year.

I'll gladly take the $650-900/year hit there in exchange for the $8-10k/year delta in property taxes and the $18-24k/year savings on mortgage payments if I was to live in the same house in NJ. Even comparing my current house to the much smaller, older home that we left in NJ, I'm still saving almost $4k in property taxes, and my mortgage payment is around $3k less per year. My state taxes are around $1,200/year higher than in NJ on the same income, but after writing that off on my federal return, it's less than a grand. My net tax savings is still around $2,000-$2,500, and I've got that $3k in mortgage payment savings, so all in I'm about $5,000 to the good for a better house in a better neighborhood. I'll take that.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
I wouldn't say people are leaving North NJ, because just as many are coming in, not only immigrants but NYers and people looking for better opportunity from around the country. North NJ is developed, a mix of poor and rich. Many people aren't willing to save and live in affordable towns like Plainfield or Perth Amboy, so our cities are being settled by people who appreciate them. I'd say crime is low too with the exception of Newark. Then some people like me are just relocating to other towns, for some it takes years and years to start over in a whole new part of the country and feel at home.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
Off the top of my head, without thinking or reading all the other comments. As much as I love NJ, living in Bergen County, and being so close to NYC, I HATE, HATE, HATE the following:

traffic,
overpriced housing,
winters & shoveling,
the high cost of everything,
and the materialistic, "me, me, me" lifestyle it is.

I'd like to relocate within the next 4-5 years to either South Carolina, or Florida.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 PM

543 posts, read 1,455,924 times
Aren't there legal ways around paying the "death tax", like for example, setting up a trust for your heirs?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
People are leaving for many, many reasons, but the primary reason is simple: NJ doesn't offer anything that other states don't for a cheaper price.

It is the most overpopulated state, highest taxes to the point of insanity.

You can find what's here in New Jersey for a better price elsewhere.

Do you want beaches? Move to Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Florida, etc.

Do you want forests/state parks? Move to Tennessee, Kentucky, Maine, Vermont, etc.

Do you want nice cities? It doesn't matter, New Jersey doesn't have any.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
People are leaving for many, many reasons, but the primary reason is simple: NJ doesn't offer anything that other states don't for a cheaper price.

It is the most overpopulated state, highest taxes to the point of insanity.

You can find what's here in New Jersey for a better price elsewhere.

Do you want beaches? Move to Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Florida, etc.

Do you want forests/state parks? Move to Tennessee, Kentucky, Maine, Vermont, etc.

Do you want nice cities? It doesn't matter, New Jersey doesn't have any.
What do you mean we don't have nice cities? New Brunswick , Jersey City , parts of Newark,are nice. Although we have many smaller nice towns then cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey