Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 14,617 times

Advertisements

Buying a house in Mount Olive, have some questions.

I work in Bergen County so will have to travel 46 to 80 to 287 to 208. What's the best time to leave in the morning so as not to hit the really bad traffic? I'm hoping to get to work sometime between 9 and 10 a.m.

I've heard mixed things about the schools. No kids yet but will have someday soon. Good area to raise kids?

Is Budd Lake fun to go to? Doesn't seem like it from driving past on Rt 46. I like Lake Hopatcong, which has some ok restaurants on the water.

Nearest real town is Hackettstown. Seems to be up-and-coming with some good restaurants, yeah?

Where is the best place for bagels?

Which are the best public golf courses?

How's the town gov't? Corrupt like most in NJ?

BTW, picked Mount Olive based on the house prices and the fact that my fiancee has relatives nearby in Long Valley. Seems like a pretty boring place though. Hope I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:57 PM

880 posts, read 1,250,866 times
I live in lake Hopatcong. If you have an option to be at work by 10:00AM, leave as close to 9:00AM as possible, traffic on I-80 EAST decreases to almost none by then.

It's a GREAT area to raise the kids (mine are the only reason I still live in this state), especially if you like outdoors/nature type stuff. Schools are average, nothing to write about in terms of academics, but little violence or drug use, at least by average American standard. I feel safe sending my kids to these schools, even if I'm not confident they will get the best education Otherwise, like you said, it's a pretty boring places. Safe, but boring.

Oh and I hope you like bears Seriously, don't freak out - they are harmless. Just don't leave your garbage out overnight.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,181 times
bears are harmless? Yogi and boo boo maybe-I'd keep my distance from all the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey