Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 AM

20 posts, read 71,601 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are a young family from Switzerland and we will be moving to NJ in end of July. My husband will work in Manhattan, but we are looking for some nice places to live in NJ. We actually have 2 Kids (7 + 3 years old, 3rd is expected for december) and we have a big dog.

I really tried to find out through internet, which place should be the best, but i have to commit that i am completely lost.

We are searching for a nice house (4br with fenced yard) in a quit neighborhood, near good elementary schools and near to a transportation to manhattan (my husband is willing to travel until 1 hour one way to his work)

can anyone help me? and of course if anyone has some good pages for searching a rental house, it would be also great.

thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english :-((
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 AM

162 posts, read 849,312 times
Default forum

Hi,

I'm from NJ originally - I grew up there. My father worked in New York City - near Manhattan for 48 years. I can share his commute - but it is pretty long. We lived in Ridgewood, New Jersey. It is a great town and has great schools. When I was there it was known for it's great educational system. It is very expensive though. I don't know what the cost of living is in Switzerland. I can imagine the scenery will be very different in NJ. It is pretty in many areas of NJ despite what you see from the highways. But I wonder if it could ever top the beauty of what I've seen in Switerland in pictures. Anyways...my father took a bus from our corner which took an hour to get the NY - then he took a subway - so his total trip was 1 1/2 hours. Hopefully someone else on the boards will have more info. for you about places closer. I think Englewood Cliffs is supposed to be nice too - in NJ - hmmmmm ...anyways....I can tell you there are many that do commute to NYC from Ridgewood. I miss the town a lot. If you want to know more about it or the climate in NJ please either send me a private message on this forum or you may email me at
Peasmailbox@aol.com

Patty and Dave in CT

Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo75 View Post
Hi

We are a young family from Switzerland and we will be moving to NJ in end of July. My husband will work in Manhattan, but we are looking for some nice places to live in NJ. We actually have 2 Kids (7 + 3 years old, 3rd is expected for december) and we have a big dog.

I really tried to find out through internet, which place should be the best, but i have to commit that i am completely lost.

We are searching for a nice house (4br with fenced yard) in a quit neighborhood, near good elementary schools and near to a transportation to manhattan (my husband is willing to travel until 1 hour one way to his work)

can anyone help me? and of course if anyone has some good pages for searching a rental house, it would be also great.

thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english :-((

more info is needed, like what is your budget for housing and transportation and where is the employment located.
NJ is a big place and there could be many far flung places that could suit your needs

Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM

20 posts, read 71,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
more info is needed, like what is your budget for housing and transportation and where is the employment located.
NJ is a big place and there could be many far flung places that could suit your needs
we would like to stay under 2'600.00 for a monthly rent. the cost of transpartion i have no idea, really. my husband will work on 11 madison street in 10010 New York. Hope this helps

Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 AM

32 posts, read 189,636 times
Default Homes in Millburn and in the immediate area

There are quite a few homes available. And the school system is fantastic.

Go to MILLBURN NEW JERSEY - MILLBURN Homes and Real Estate For Sale - The Midtown Direct-Essex County Homes

Old 05-31-2007, 11:26 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo75 View Post
we would like to stay under 2'600.00 for a monthly rent. the cost of transpartion i have no idea, really. my husband will work on 11 madison street in 10010 New York. Hope this helps
do you mean madison ave? if so the best commuting via public transport would be in a town served by NJT rail, that narrows it down a bit, For $2600 you might not be able to get everything you want in a home, you might need to spend a bit over 3k for a 4 bedroom house in a decent area with good schools.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 AM

34 posts, read 161,369 times
Why not get a 3 bedroom, the baby wont need a room for some time. You could even go with a 2 bedroom depending on how much you plan to be outside and not jammed into the apartment, since the existing kids are still pretty young. I would suggest some towns but my insight isn't even a tenth of some others on here. The user tahiti knows her stuff though....

Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Kax

19 posts, read 137,613 times
Default A Word about Ridgewood.....

I lived in Ridgewood, and the schools are amazing, the town is really a Norman Rockwell painting, you couldn't ask for anything better, great recreation, beautiful bustling downtown, amazing family neighborhoods with stunning older homes, BUT, BUT, BUT -- you need the $$$$, and I mean serious $$$$, and the desire to "keep up with the Joneses" to be happy there. Ridgewood is Wall Street in the suburbs. You need to "fit the mold", and I can easily see someone who doesn't feeling unhappy. Keep that in mind.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 PM

26 posts, read 115,828 times
Default Somerset, Franklin Township, NJ

Check out Franklin Township/Somerset NJ - Great area and close to New Brunswick Train Station for easy commute to NYC. Also, it's still close enough to drive if you want the 1 hr commute. My neighborhood is wonderful with large homes (5bd/3.5bath) and all homes situated on one full acre. Family friendly, but a private retreat from the hustle of the city. Schools are good (see link below).

//www.city-data.com/city/Somerset-New-Jersey.html

Search for homes in Somerset, Zip 08873
REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale or gsmls.com

Find out more about schools in Franklin Township, NJ
Franklin Township Public Schools

Last edited by SomersetLife; 07-25-2007 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: More Information Provided about School District

Old 07-29-2007, 02:04 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i think you should look into the southern passaic county area into the western bergan county area. Totowa, Wayne, North Bergen, etc. and some towns surrounding them. all excellent school systems, all in your price range, all safe towns, and all within 45 minutes of NYC...
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey