Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcctrumpeter View Post
Yeah, $65k is a little much, but when you have people cursing at you and throwing trash at you, I'm sure the turnover rate is a little higher than you'd think. I know the economy is much worse than it used to be, and people would love to make $65k counting change.

Think about this, though - a $65k average also probably includes overtime.
i'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of each worker's salary is due to overtime, which is due to not being able to hire more people to keep headcount down.

the "avg" stat is useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I used EZ Pass generically, I meant automated collection. The Henry Hudson Parkway is an example. It now accepts EZ Pass, or alternatively photographs your license plate and sends you the bill. Certainly if New York can do this, so can we.

Video of the Day: Cashless tolling on the HHP :: Second Ave. Sagas

We can now get rid of toll booth attendants completely. Let's do it. No wages, no benefits, nobody forced to stand in a glass booth and breathe in all the nasty fumes. No traffic jams caused by the ridiculous activity of one human handing physical currency to another human on a bridge.

Now that I think of it, the term toll is eerily similar to the term troll, referring to the monster that used to emerge from beneath the bridge to make life difficult for innocent travellers. We now have the technology to eradicate this modern equivalent.
This is not a new idea. They've been talking about this/working toward this at different authorities in the NY Metro area for a number of years now. It's coming, just a matter of working out the logistics and technology, as well as coordinating reciprocity between various agencies.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM

147 posts, read 389,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of each worker's salary is due to overtime, which is due to not being able to hire more people to keep headcount down.
the "avg" stat is useless.
Why? That's the standard way to compare jobs or most things, And they love the overtime. They get time and a half for overtime. Many make over $100,000 a year. It's the same with cops, except they can make even more sitting by road work sites.

Dec 13, 2011 – New York and New Jersey pay its toll booth money takers over $60K yearly for 40 hours per week, and up to over $100K yearly with overtime.
New York and New Jersey pay its toll booth money takers over $60K yearly for 40 hours per week, and up to over $100K yearly with overtime. Do you think they should get that much?

Taxes & SpendingYour Transportation Tax Dollars at Work: 100K for Toll Collectors
By: jmattera
12/13/2011 03:01 AM

Print2“I’m blessed. I have a great job, and in this economy it’s great that I can cover everything with my eight hours a day and over[time].”

In this Obama economy we should feel blessed to be employed, so we salute the individual’s comments above who recognizes her good fortune. But that’s before you know about what this person does for a living. The people she should really be thanking are you and me the taxpayers for allowing her to pull in nearly $100,000 a year for … collecting tolls at the booths of New York-New Jersey crossings.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Princesella Smith, who raked in $89,599 for operating the toll lanes at the George Washington Bridge in 2011.

Smith isn’t alone. An investigation by the New York Post revealed that another toll booth operator pulled in a whopping $102,670 in 2011, $40K of that money coming in overtime. In total, as the Post notes, there are at least 24 New York and New Jersey workers who have raked in more than $80,000 as “public” workers at a job that requires us to hand them even more of our money
Your Transportation Tax Dollars at Work: 100K for Toll Collectors | Conservative News, Views & Books

Port Authority toll collectors not only grab your money at New York-New Jersey crossings, they’re now pulling down stunning six-figure salaries funded by the levies you pay at bridges and tunnels.
Twenty-four toll collectors at the bi-state agency have made more than $80,000 so far in 2011 — payments pumped up by massive overtime. Seven of those workers took in $90,000 or more.
SOME PORT AUTHORITY EMPLOYEES GETTING 80G-PLUS FOR NOT WORKING
But that’s chump change to the top toll taker.
Warren Stevens has made $102,670 so far this year — $40,614 of it OT.

Warzer jaffCASH GRAB: Toll takers are pulling in pay above $90,000.With overtime paid at time-and-a-half, Stevens averaged about 20 hours of OT per week, or about 130 extra eight-hour shifts per year, an analysis of PA data shows.
Karen DuPree is the No. 2 highest-paid toll taker, making $97,621 — more than a third of it from overtime pay of $37,470.
The annual salaries will only swell since the figures released Friday for all 6,777 PA employees do not include December paychecks.
Princesella Smith, 51, who has made $89,599 working the toll lanes at the George Washington Bridge this year, understandably loves her profession.
“I’m blessed,” she told The Post. “I have a great job, and in this economy it’s great that I can cover everything with my eight hours a day and overs.”
The driving public is a little less enthused, especially after the PA hiked tolls $4 this past summer at its six crossings.

Port Authority toll collectors cash in - NYPOST.com

Toll-Booth Attendant
Toll-booth attendants are reported to earn an average annual salary of $45,000 per year. This salary exceeds the national average, which is notable considering that this job is relatively low-skilled and requires no post-secondary education. It is also reported that the highest paid toll-booth operator salary in Maine in 2009 was $76,219, which is an impressive 85% more than the national average annual salary

Read more: 7 High-Paid Public Service Jobs

Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I used EZ Pass generically, I meant automated collection. The Henry Hudson Parkway is an example. It now accepts EZ Pass, or alternatively photographs your license plate and sends you the bill. Certainly if New York can do this, so can we.

Video of the Day: Cashless tolling on the HHP :: Second Ave. Sagas

We can now get rid of toll booth attendants completely. Let's do it. No wages, no benefits, nobody forced to stand in a glass booth and breathe in all the nasty fumes. No traffic jams caused by the ridiculous activity of one human handing physical currency to another human on a bridge.

Now that I think of it, the term toll is eerily similar to the term troll, referring to the monster that used to emerge from beneath the bridge to make life difficult for innocent travellers. We now have the technology to eradicate this modern equivalent.
Oh, no. I visit the True Value hardware monthly and pay in cash.

I miss the woman who used to work NJTP exit 2. She was really nice.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
Dec 13, 2011 – New York and New Jersey pay its toll booth money takers over $60K yearly for 40 hours per week, and up to over $100K yearly with overtime.
Your entire post is based on a bunch of bullsh*t. The NJ Toll collectors contract is for 43K.

Quote:
The New Jersey Turnpike Authority, which oversees the Turnpike and Parkway, ratified an agreement today to extend the contract of toll collectors for two more years. Unions agreed to a series of concessions, including salary cuts of about 25 percent — from around $65,000 a year to $49,500 annually — by the end of the contract.

N.J. Turnpike Authority extends toll collectors' contract but plans to eliminate all jobs in 2 years | NJ.com
The article is quoting the NJ/NY PA. No doubt that same people will be bitching when they are forced to use exact change or electronic tags.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
It's funny, because the website says that they are hiring part-time toll workers at $12 an hour.

New Jersey Turnpike Authority

It's not a safe job!

Turnpike tollbooth robberies spark union leaders to ask for more security | NJ.com

Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM

4,152 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
It's funny, because the website says that they are hiring part-time toll workers at $12 an hour.

New Jersey Turnpike Authority

It's not a safe job!

Turnpike tollbooth robberies spark union leaders to ask for more security | NJ.com
Ez, replace them with machines. Layoff all those toll collectors and drop the cost of toll. Win win for both government and us tax payer.

Do what Canada does, if you don't have a ezpass, you get a ticket for toll and a small fee. I was doing a roadtrip in Canada last year and was driving in a toll highways. They just mail me a ticket that I owe them like $3 total. I paid it online.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 39,805 times
How about rid the tolls entirely and raise the gas tax...

Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I don't understand why people are complaining about the toll workers salaries when they work for it. Most had put in lots of overtime.
Everyone always think someone else doesn't deserve the pay because"they don't do anything". In this case its collecting tolls.
So what it doesn't require more than a Ged or high school diploma? What makes you think they deserve less because they don't have a Bachelor or Master degree?
Are you guys mad that they make more than you but have less education? That's the free market. After all,they are WORKING for it.. want to make as much as they do? Well,work overtime.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
How about rid the tolls entirely and raise the gas tax...
That's not smart.
What about those who don't use the toll roads?
Why should they have to fund those who do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: