Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times

Advertisements

anyone have a winter long contract and if so how does that work? We are thinking of doing this for next year assuming we will not be around very often. how much does it cost, or is it per snowfall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 AM

312 posts, read 1,164,018 times
We have an agreement with a guy, but no formal contract. Basically its by snowfall. We have a long 2 car driveway and a horseshoe so its a lot of square feet. Comes out to $10 an inch. Needless to say the guy is making a killing this year. If its only a couple inches he'll call to see if we need him but otherwise he comes automatically.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 9,120 times
Default snow plowing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Way too much money. We pay $50 and our drive way is loooong.
I plow snow in New Jersey and typically a two car driveway gets charged 40 to 50 dollars for the first 3 inches so if I had a driveway that was maybe 100 feet long single wide it would be anywhere from 80 to $100 for the first 3 inches...... I don't think people realize that there's a lot of wear and tear on the trucks and that is better for us to do it instead of them going out there and giving themselves a heart attack possibly,,,,I've charge people to a $300 on a foot of snow you got walkways sidewalks some people on porches or text shoveled in the back for the dogs,,,,its all about time and wear and tear on the truck n labor

Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 PM

Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
A joke as in too low? It would take what, a half an hour to do it? That's $100/hour.

I'd believe $160 though too. I've heard individuals with a plow can make a couple hundred grand with one snowstorm.
Couple hundred doing sounds a little steep but anythings possible if you have the right equipment and enough of it with the right people operating

Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Good Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
Really depends on the size of your driveway and the depth of the snow. We have an agreement with a guy that comes by to plow our driveway every snow fall. We have a 2+ car wide driveway that extends about 45 feet from the garage and a horseshoe at the front of the house so it is a lot of asphalt. 6" will cost us about 60. When we had 20" he charged us 200 which i think was fair. When we had 20" he had to come by at least 3 times throughout the storm. He also clears our cars and driveway and will also clear out the area for my garbage/recycling cans. This guy does a ton of homes in my neighborhood and is probably making a killing this season.
That is a good price for that much snow considering what he's doing for you I would stay with him don't lose his number

Old 09-28-2015, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,104 times
Price depends on the width, length, and type of driveway (stone or macadam) also depends on the depth of the snow as well. Our company can't charge any less than $75 for a short driveway, and this is because of the cost of the SNOW PLOW INSURANCE. 2 years ago, it cost less than $2000 for a snow plow season in premiums, then it went to $8000. We were just told it will be over $20,000 for a policy coverage from November to March 15. So if you're getting a cheap price, $200 A, Make sure they have the right Certificate of Snow Plow Insurance, and B, Count your blessings if they do. Too many slip and fall lawsuits have put many little companies out of business, because the insurance companies are driving up these premiums. My guess is, someone plowing for a ridiculously low price probably doesn't have Snow Plow coverage, and if they damage your property, or someone slips and falls on your property, welllll It's on your dime then.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,104 times
Snow Plow Insurance for the Plow companies is what is driving these prices up. The honest company can't help it. Hire a couple of Mexicans without insurance, you'll get a break there, but make sure no one slips and falls on your property. They could own your house if they break a leg.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Here's a thought: Skip the worries about liability and the cost and do it yourself I'd have to have two broken legs and a bad arm before I ever thought about forking over that kind of money to clear my driveway.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,161 times
$160? Just get a snow remover and plow yourself.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:13 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
$160? Just get a snow remover and plow yourself.
Exactly. I bought a snow blower at Home Depot 5 years ago for $600. It has worked perfectly every winter. I have a fairly large/long driveway and I can usually clear the whole thing in about 30 minutes. If it's a big storm with over a foot of snow then I do it twice, otherwise the blower gets overwhelmed. But yeah, unless you really just don't have the time I can't imagine paying someone $100 or more for every storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey