Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times

Advertisements

I know its ugly out there but wow. I'm just lost for words.

New Jersey's high unemployment during the ongoing recession has stressed the fund, but years of raids by previous governors and lawmakers during good economic times left it vulnerable.
And since benefits are linked to the payroll tax by state law, the tax rate is scheduled to go up in July to bring the fund back to solvency.
Mod cut: copyright violation

NorthJersey.com: N.J. Gov. Christie looking to cut jobless benefits

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-25-2010 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:26 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I'm for this move, I think it's another positive step forward invoked by this governor. If it prevents even more layoffs in the future by taking the pressure off employers via the payroll tax, that's proactive. Additionally, it incentivizes those who are unemployed to get back into the workforce, irrespective of job that is offered. Not every job is an ideal one in your field. At some point, you have to accept a lower level position that is available to you, as an unemployed person.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
I'd be for this move in someone else's state where it doesn't affect me, but in my own state I'm against it, since it affects my quality of life, since I live here. How well my neighbors do ultimately affects me first. If I have neighbors who aren't given assistance in an economy like this and they are forced into foreclosure then my neighborhood starts to resemble Las Vegas and other places where they can't sell houses, and what property value I do have will dwindle away. Now, if another state did this, I wouldn't care at all. But, since I live here, I do care, and I know it will adversely affect our state.

It's not the fault of those who are jobless that Whitman flushed the funds down her toilet of raiding in order to issue rebate checks and gain popularity. She's like the girl at school who runs for student body president and spends all the money for the year-end class trip to Florida on weekly cupcakes and candy to give out free to everyone and then transfers to a private school before year-end so she's not around when nobody gets their class trip because there's no money.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'd be for this move in someone else's state where it doesn't affect me, but in my own state I'm against it, since it affects my quality of life, since I live here. How well my neighbors do ultimately affects me first. If I have neighbors who aren't given assistance in an economy like this and they are forced into foreclosure then my neighborhood starts to resemble Las Vegas and other places where they can't sell houses, and what property value I do have will dwindle away. Now, if another state did this, I wouldn't care at all. But, since I live here, I do care, and I know it will adversely affect our state.

It's not the fault of those who are jobless that Whitman flushed the funds down her toilet of raiding in order to issue rebate checks and gain popularity. She's like the girl at school who runs for student body president and spends all the money for the year-end class trip to Florida on weekly cupcakes and candy to give out free to everyone and then transfers to a private school before year-end so she's not around when nobody gets their class trip because there's no money.

Its not Christies fault either.

There is no good solution to this dilemma. I mean the money has to come from somewhere.

No use complaining about the past, gotta do whats right for the future...

Old 02-26-2010, 01:44 AM

259 posts, read 662,371 times
because you know there's an abundance of jobs out there

anyway, this has not shot of making it based on this response from the Democrats who run the state still..

"This idea is a total nonstarter that will not even find its way through the Senate doors,'' he said. "The dead of winter is no time to leave New Jersey's unemployed out in the cold. Mod cut: copyright violation.''

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-26-2010 at 04:50 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM

101 posts, read 460,325 times
There are jobs- you just need the right skills for them.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 PM

259 posts, read 662,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanErikson View Post
There are jobs- you just need the right skills for them.

There are jobs, really? Fact, the US is still sgedding jobs at almost 500k per week and there are over 6 applicants for one job. Show me the facts that say there plenty of jobs out there. Thats right you can't.

Christie says the unemployed should share the burden of an insolvent fund...:thud:

Why should the unemployed have to share that burden, when it's the politicians in this state that stole about 4 billion dollars from teh fund over the years. The unemployed have to share that burden.......I dont think so

This won't even make it to the state senate floor.

If Chrisite wants to trim the fat, he should start within his own waistline.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Of course Christie is right, he is an adult trying to make hard decisions. I feel sorry for the unemployed but if we do not get our house in order in NJ there will be a lot more people unemployed as businesses flee the state because of the level of taxation that will be required if we do not cut spending.

I find it instructive that with every cut he proposes there are complaints in this forum. Would you have him cut NO spending or only spending that affects the other guy? The reality is we will all end up paying some now. Better that then more later.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
So, it's OK for Christie to make the unemployed flee the state so we can get our house in order, but it's not OK for Corzine to raise taxes or tolls and cause people to flee so we can get our house in order???

Now I've heard it all.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 PM

631 posts, read 719,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'd be for this move in someone else's state where it doesn't affect me, but in my own state I'm against it, since it affects my quality of life, since I live here. How well my neighbors do ultimately affects me first. If I have neighbors who aren't given assistance in an economy like this and they are forced into foreclosure then my neighborhood starts to resemble Las Vegas and other places where they can't sell houses, and what property value I do have will dwindle away. Now, if another state did this, I wouldn't care at all. But, since I live here, I do care, and I know it will adversely affect our state..

This is 100 percent correct, and has happened to me. I bought a house for 442,000 in August. My next door neighbor recently went into short sale, listing the home at 350,000. They have a colonial, I have a bi-level. I probably lost my 20 percent down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey