Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 12,555 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are considering a jump from central NJ area down to Barnegat/Manahawkin. Been kickin the tires with a lot of the builders down there. If anyone has any input, comments, suggestions on any of the builders (Ryan, Walters, Stonehenge, etc.), we would welcome any input.

We know the area pretty well. We're more interested in any (RECENT) experiences anyone has had with any of the new construction builders in the area. I have read through all of the threads about some of them, but a lot of it is over a year old. Anyone buy/close in the last 6 months? Experiences, what did you get, how was negotiating? I know the market's been slow...but it doesnt hurt to ask.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 AM

5 posts, read 9,626 times
Mr daddy11ac.
Your asking about Local developers. Those that you mentioned, arent bad. But here is some information you should be made aware of. Those developers use what is called bare minimun, or middle grade building materials. What im talking about is the following examples: they use yellow pine lumber, not HemFir or KD. They use partical board type so called non plywood = called OSB. Instead of real 4ply plywood. They Are Allowed by code to use on walls only. 4 ply is much stronger, and cost more. Cost: go see for yourself at any local building supply store. In fact go check on all the products/materials the developer is offering to use building the home. check around. Your time can save you alot of money and give you the real truth.
More Information to ask : Does the cost of the home include the cost of the land ? Does it include the cost of water an sewer hook up. Note: with the expanding infrastructer for both towns, and new mandated laws, hooking up cost's are approx. 30k or more. for lots purchased from these developers in areas like ocean acres or other areas there are non development type. Im not sure about the costs in the developments. But the townships do require the developers to install the water an sewer lines, and hook up to the township owned systems. So The cost will eventually end up coming out of the home-buyers pocket. Currently as you know its a buyers market. You might want to consider: Buying an existing home in an area you like, and look into hiring a renovation contractor, to come in and maybe add on-to the home and make some changes inside. Like move some walls around etc. depending on the existing structual design of the home. Basiclly any home can be altered in many ways. Try thinking like this: the home is an investment. What is used to build the home will reflect the value = now and the future. So will the neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 AM

thanks c-mug!

Thank you for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to share. We are definitely following the existing home market to get a gauge on what's the best value.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM

478 posts, read 1,749,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy11ac View Post
Hi, my wife and I are considering a jump from central NJ area down to Barnegat/Manahawkin. Been kickin the tires with a lot of the builders down there. If anyone has any input, comments, suggestions on any of the builders (Ryan, Walters, Stonehenge, etc.), we would welcome any input.

We know the area pretty well. We're more interested in any (RECENT) experiences anyone has had with any of the new construction builders in the area. I have read through all of the threads about some of them, but a lot of it is over a year old. Anyone buy/close in the last 6 months? Experiences, what did you get, how was negotiating? I know the market's been slow...but it doesnt hurt to ask.

thanks!
You didn't say what type of homes your looking for..In that area all types..single family, active adult, seniors.

Since I read its you and wife..its active adult most likely.
There is a nice place in Barnegat on Bay Ave west with great homes running in low 230's up (active adult age 48 and up) built by Magnatti Inc of Huntington PA.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM

good point, sorry, i did not. We are looking for single family homes, not AAC's. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:08 AM
DNJ

54 posts, read 241,195 times
I have been in a Ryan Home in Barnegat for 2 years. We are very pleased with our home and love the neighborhood. We have had a few very minor issues that were resolved. I previously lived in Barnegat for 17 years and chose this development because it is midpoint between the elementary, middle and high schools (at the time Ryan was also selling in other areas of Barnegat) . Barnegat schools and the community in general has grown/improved leaps and bounds since we arrived in 1990.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM

33 posts, read 122,199 times
Hovnanian at Freedom hills is pretty cool

Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM

34 posts, read 189,683 times
Walters homes and Ryan homes are still building new, and their homes are of decent quality. Stonehenge are great developers, but builds mostly custom homes. They don't have much in Barnegat and Manahawkin, although they do have some developments in the Tuckerton/Little Egg Harbor area, which have been completed within the past 10 years or so.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,215 times
Hi daddy11ac,

I built a home with Ryan Homes 2 1/2 years ago. I must say they did a great job. You do pay a ton for upgrades, but i was happy. Are you still looking? I recently am getting relocated for my job and have to move. Let me know if you are interested in seeing pics. end of cul-de-sac in quiet family neighborhood.

goodluck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey