Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times

Advertisements

I think this fare hike will hurt many commuters and I hope Christie will reconsider. I am glad I use PATCO everyday and dont have to ride NJ Transit.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Chris Christie's cuts in state spending are neccessary to avoid the state from going bankrupt. He is the fiscally responsible leader this state has needed for so many years. He looks like he is going to be one of New Jersey's greatest governors.
I understand that, but what I'm saying is the budget pain needs to be shared fairly. It doesn't seem fair mass transit riders get socked while motorists get off with no cuts, toll hikes,etc.
Christie should do the right thing and shrink the cut he made to the NJT subsidy and raise the gas tax by a few cents. Fares would still go up, and service may have to be reduced, but at least it would be fair that EVERYBODY is making sarcifices.
I called his office today and told them to ask the Governor why he isn't spreading the cuts fairly?
I just dont have a good feeling about this guy. If I lived in NJ I would've voted for Dagget, as I hated Corzine and felt Christie would be bad for transport and the environment. Now NJ voters will reap what they sow when it comes to being afraid to vote 3rd party, with more pollution, clogged roads, and a mass transit system that will deteroirate.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
I think hes also going to get rid of the Highlands act , which protected farms and forests form being cut down, and sprawl taking over

Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Why should the ones who chose to drive to work pay for the shortcomings of the mass transit system?
The light rail system in northern NJ is world class.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I think hes also going to get rid of the Highlands act , which protected farms and forests form being cut down, and sprawl taking over
Talk about throwing ones weight around upon entering the room. This guy is gonna make McGreevy and his sex scandal look like heaven. I guess its sorta like what we're dealing with in NY. Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-05-2010 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Not necessary.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
That'd be a good thing- maybe you'll see home prices get a little closer to reality when there's actually land available to build on again. I'm all for keeping growth in check, but the broad-brush approach they took with the Highlands Act was absurd.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:11 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Why should the ones who chose to drive to work pay for the shortcomings of the mass transit system?

That's right, everyone who will be affected by Christies cuts or tax increases will complain but something needs to be done the state is facing a $2 billion hole. The soluiton to the problem by those who complain is to tax somebody else.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:12 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Shortcomings? Which ones , more people should our largest system.

There not the minority and its not just to work. People use it to go to University & College. We do need to raise the gas tax to fund the Transportation Trust Fund which will run out next year, that means no new Rail , Bus , Bridges , Tunnels or any upgrades. That affects the entire state weather you drive or take Mass Transit. I hope NJT can sell some of its aging fleet to Montreal , which would bring 15 million $. People in this state need to stop whining when it comes to certain things like the gas tax , we get to many free and cheaper deals in this state. I know the Property taxes are high , and they should be lower. The reason people don't ride NJT is , form what ive found they don't know how large the system is and some of the great cities and towns that it goes through.
The shorcoming is the system is not self sustaining.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:59 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That'd be a good thing- maybe you'll see home prices get a little closer to reality when there's actually land available to build on again. I'm all for keeping growth in check, but the broad-brush approach they took with the Highlands Act was absurd.
So we should continue to destory our Rural areas , instead of investing more in our Urban areas. Obama needs to pass a National Anti-Sprawl law limiting growth outside major cities. If you really think about it , we wouldn't have these high property taxes if we didn't sprawl like crazy and not that our Urban areas are improving its time we stop this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The light rail system in northern NJ is world class.
Well , it looks like NJT will need to find a Private investor to build the Union-Essex-Passaic-Bergen-Hudson County networks which would serve a estimated 500,000 people. It would involve using abandoned Freight lines that run through those areas. And would consist of 14 lines , 12 Electric , 2 Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The shorcoming is the system is not self sustaining.
Thats what he wants you to beleave , but its not. Although the Executive should take another 30k form his absurd pay check. And be a proper boss and care about his employees. I guess Christie doesn't care about the wasteful spending at the top.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default gas tax raised ?????

What don't you get???????
Any dedicated tax goes into the general fund !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raising a tax to cover a loss at this time is a losing proposition. It is called enabling. Need money do we? Well then make state and local processes more efficient and cut out the gross and inept misuse of taxpayer funds.

Do you know, we, that is the 'state', because the state has no money of its own, will supply 3rd graders with trees to plant.
Hey, I'm Mr Nature and I plant trees anywhere anyone will let me but no freaking way do I want to spend tax money on distributing seedlings to 3rd graders.

The list goes on....Green Acre funds for the big cat exhibit at Turtleback Zoo.

Work within the budget, not only no new taxes but a sunset on previously levied taxes and a sunset clause on any new taxes that do get set. Enough of the joy of a bottomless pockets state and local economic philosophy.

I told my kids that 'fair' is an F word and I don't ever want to hear them use it. Unfair and fair must be said with the whiney voice of a loser who cannot take control of his own destiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey