Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM

13,380 posts, read 28,638,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
To your first point, while a fuel tax would increase the total cost of mass transit, that total cost, and more importantly, the total cost per rider would increase at a lower rate than the cost per driver. Further, if the cost of driving increases, then more people would opt to ride mass transit and the large fixed costs of the whole mass transit would be split among more people.To your second point, general tax funds build and maintain roads. Those general funds are drawn from the whole citizenry, including those that never drive. You scoff at the "subsidy" paid to NJT while the roads are almost entirely "subsidized".
That's false as only a small portion of people in NJ have access to mass transportation..if it were an option for me I would use it because it still would be cheaper then the cost of driving my car and I wouldn't have to deal with roads during bad weather

Old 03-06-2010, 02:43 PM

367 posts, read 957,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post

.....and his refusal to raise gas taxes shows he is being unfair with these cuts.
By what rationale do you believe someone else should subsidize your lifestyle? Mod cutChristie is trying to put NJT on a paying basis. The free ride is over.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-06-2010 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:43 PM

34 posts, read 81,927 times
Default The man we have been waiting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Chris Christie's cuts in state spending are neccessary to avoid the state from going bankrupt. He is the fiscally responsible leader this state has needed for so many years. He looks like he is going to be one of New Jersey's greatest governors.

Christie is the man this State, no this NATION has been waiting for since the 1970's. There is real excitement and real hope that we can finally break the death spiral we have been in due to the ever more irresponsible liberal corrupted tax and spend officials.

Stand tough Gov Christie, there is a GIANT silent majority out here backing you up.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,784,690 times
No Transit Agency in North American pays the Fuel or Gas Tax. And NJT is upgrading its entire Fleet slowly so they get a better MPG or in the Electric Train case accelerate faster and last longer.

Heres some samples of our new Equipment

ALP-46 Pulling 12 Bi-level cars into Busy Penn Station.

YouTube - New Jersey Transit Trains at Newark Penn Station Platform One Part Three

EB ALP-46 with Bi-levels blast by Monmouth Park (110mph)

YouTube - EB ALP-46 with Bi-levels blast by Monmouth Park

Our New Diesels , that are energy effincent.

YouTube - New Jersey Transit - Raritan Valley Line Action

I think this fare increase will hurt all the Ridership gain NJT has gotten over the past 10 years and cost the state billions in lost Smart Growth Projects.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's false as only a small portion of people in NJ have access to mass transportation..if it were an option for me I would use it because it still would be cheaper then the cost of driving my car and I wouldn't have to deal with roads during bad weather
Thats false , NJT has at least 2 Bus lines in every county and if they don't a partner company does. Since they people of Sussex County ruined all hope for the 2 planned restored lines , then you shouldn't complain. You didn't want it , so it went somewhere else in the state. The only thing Sussex might get is a Bus line to one of the Lackawanna line stations. NJT had planned to restore service on the majority of FED & Private money , but some of these lines were NIMBY by a few towns and canceled. So when i hear theres no Mass Transit near me , I have to laugh. You shouldn't have NIMBY'd it. Thats a lesson to the whole state , don't NIMBY a Mass Transit Project , becuz it will come to bite you in the rear.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,595,537 times
NJ Transit is useless to me. My 15 minute commute to work would turn into a 3 hour one, with a half mile walk at the end.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:02 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,595,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
To your first point, while a fuel tax would increase the total cost of mass transit, that total cost, and more importantly, the total cost per rider would increase at a lower rate than the cost per driver. Further, if the cost of driving increases, then more people would opt to ride mass transit and the large fixed costs of the whole mass transit would be split among more people.

To your second point, general tax funds build and maintain roads. Those general funds are drawn from the whole citizenry, including those that never drive. You scoff at the "subsidy" paid to NJT while the roads are almost entirely "subsidized".
Wrong.. NJ Transit is useless to me a people like me. (Burlington County commute to NE Philly.

The only time I would ever use it, (to go to a concert or a Phillies game or something) the stupid River Line stops running at 10 PM making NJT even more useless.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:09 PM

18,423 posts, read 15,158,285 times
I ride a motorcycle most of the year, so I dont even have a dog in this race, but it just seems to me like the answer to every problem in this state is raising taxes. I would love to see some REAL literature on how money is appropriated to both the highway fund AND NJ Transit. It seems the fairest way is to have the drivers cover the whole cost of the highways and have the mass transit riders cover THEIR whole cost.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Wrong.. NJ Transit is useless to me a people like me. (Burlington County commute to NE Philly.

The only time I would ever use it, (to go to a concert or a Phillies game or something) the stupid River Line stops running at 10 PM making NJT even more useless.
Thats not there fault , its called Freight companies who bully. They hog most of the Passenger Railway network here in the NE, causing delays. We need reform in the Transportation Industry so stuff like this doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I ride a motorcycle most of the year, so I dont even have a dog in this race, but it just seems to me like the answer to every problem in this state is raising taxes. I would love to see some REAL literature on how money is appropriated to both the highway fund AND NJ Transit. It seems the fairest way is to have the drivers cover the whole cost of the highways and have the mass transit riders cover THEIR whole cost.
Majority of the Money goes to highways which return nothing. It needs to be equalized. And asking us Mass Transit users to pay for other entire system is unfair , its the Largest state Agency in North America. 2 months after this goes into effect , then you'll be complaining about the extra congestion on all the highways and roads, as an estimated 200,000 car commuters would be added back into the road system.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM

34 posts, read 132,916 times
Your statement and references to NJ having some of the lowest taxes on gas in the country have me confounded. What your basically saying is that here is an area where NJ may actually have it right and instead of protecting our low gas tax we should view it as an opportunity to raise revenue. That right there is the problem with today's tax structure, we find places where the taxes are low or non-existent and we immediately try to change it. Leave the gas tax alone and figure out how to fix NJT separately.

On another note, don't worry, all commuters in NJ will suffer equally but in different ways. I am pretty sure NJ Turnpike tolls will go up soon enough and there will be tolls on roads that don't exist today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey