Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:39 PM

59 posts, read 173,894 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to the NJ area and need to be close to the Parsippany area because of proximity to employment. We've been working w/ a realtor and have seen 2 really good houses for 350K. Both are 3BR. The Lake Hiawatha is a ranch, smaller, and more new. The Boonton house is a colonial, updated, and over a hundred years old. I like the Boonton area because it is close to the park (tourne) and a neat shopping/walking street. There's also a park close by for our little one. The lake hiawatha house is more residential, but closer to work.

Which area is better? Which house will we able to sell easier in 5-7 years? Are Boonton schools that bad? Any other info would be helpful... thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 05:21 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Are you talking Boonton Twp. or Boonton Town? If it's the township... much better investment than Lake Hiawatha! I would say Boonton Town is as well.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 AM

we are looking at BOONTON TOWN not the township side

Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenboba View Post
we are looking at BOONTON TOWN not the township side
I like Boonton Town more than I like Hiawatha... a little more "upscale" and the train station is right there! Great for resale especially for those looking for easy access into NYC. The main street in Boonton Town has a lot more character to it than Hiawatha does... if it were me, I'd go with Boonton. Plus you'll get bragging rights - many episodes of the Soprano's were filmed in Boonton Town : )

Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 AM

220 posts, read 623,768 times
NJ.com: School report card I hope this site helps in your decision as to which area has the best school needs for your children. Good luck!!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,054 times
both towns have their areas, anywhere from real trashy to very nice. I grew up in Parsippany/Lake Hiawatha and spent a lot of time in Boonton as well. wileynj made a good point about boonton TWP being the nicer side. main street in boonton is a real nice day trip, but after that gets old and the areas right around there are questionable, but not horrible. where is the place in lk hiawatha, "upper" or "lower" (upper being on the high side of beverwyck and lower, well, below that)? if you want you can DM me as I'm more in the NC forum than NJ since I moved. good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:30 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
I would say it really depends where each house is in the town. Can you specific with streets? There are parts of each town that are nicer than others. Generally I would say I like Boonton Town better than Lk Hiawatha but the high school in Boonton is pretty bad right now.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:35 AM

259 posts, read 925,023 times
Boonton is a lot nicer IMO.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 AM

thanks for all the replies everyone. yes, we've spent a little time in boonton and like the small town feel whereas lake hiawatha seems to have a pseudo small town feel. the area we've looked at has been near the tourne. i'm love running and hiking so it'd be perfect... i think that resale, when we do it, boonton would get more back than lake hiawatha cause of the location. i know that many realtors have a lovefest for the parsippany area cuz of the schools and proximity to the highways, but tbh, there's not much of a town or life in those areas it seems. nice houses definitely. we actually also like lake parsippany with the lake and all, but it seems like the houses we haven't found anything we like in our pricerange.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenboba View Post
thanks for all the replies everyone. yes, we've spent a little time in boonton and like the small town feel whereas lake hiawatha seems to have a pseudo small town feel. the area we've looked at has been near the tourne. i'm love running and hiking so it'd be perfect... i think that resale, when we do it, boonton would get more back than lake hiawatha cause of the location. i know that many realtors have a lovefest for the parsippany area cuz of the schools and proximity to the highways, but tbh, there's not much of a town or life in those areas it seems. nice houses definitely. we actually also like lake parsippany with the lake and all, but it seems like the houses we haven't found anything we like in our pricerange.
You might want to check out neighboring Denville as well.... Indian Lakes section. Great little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey