Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,304,497 times

Advertisements

I was really dismayed to hear NJ Transit in a similar budget crisis to MTA, and now there's talk of service cuts and fare hikes of 20-30%. Chris Christie didnt help the situation by cutting funds from NJT Subsidies, and his refusal to raise gas taxes shows he is being unfair with these cuts. NJ has some of the lowest gas taxes in the nation. So why wont Christie raise them so NJT riders dont get socked to what amounts to a new tax?
Or does the big man only care about those who drive gas guzzling SUV's?
I put together a video. New Jerseyans need to get involved and remind Chris Christie of who put him in office.

YouTube - Chris Christie: A huge disaster for New Jersey's environment

Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 PM

292 posts, read 717,404 times
Chris Christie's cuts in state spending are neccessary to avoid the state from going bankrupt. He is the fiscally responsible leader this state has needed for so many years. He looks like he is going to be one of New Jersey's greatest governors.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,791,860 times
We are , in fact it looks like there might be a Scandal in some of picks that Christie choose. The fact that the executives in the depts that are cutting cuts still get paided at least 120k+ and only took a 20k cut is puzzling to me , although we can handle cutting trains , raising fares will hurt alot. Our Gas tax has not been touched since 1988 and now is the time to raise it. The Transportation Trust Fund will run out next year and something has to be done about it. I think by the end this year , Christie will either be out of office or very unpopular. I'm worried that the smart growth that has been happening in various towns and cities next to Light Rail & Rail will stop becuz of these hikes and cuts.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:41 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,012,456 times
Why should the ones who chose to drive to work pay for the shortcomings of the mass transit system?

Old 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM

9,350 posts, read 20,722,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
We are , in fact it looks like there might be a Scandal in some of picks that Christie choose. The fact that the executives in the depts that are cutting cuts still get paided at least 120k+ and only took a 20k cut is puzzling to me , although we can handle cutting trains , raising fares will hurt alot. Our Gas tax has not been touched since 1988 and now is the time to raise it. The Transportation Trust Fund will run out next year and something has to be done about it. I think by the end this year , Christie will either be out of office or very unpopular. I'm worried that the smart growth that has been happening in various towns and cities next to Light Rail & Rail will stop becuz of these hikes and cuts.
I think the problem is the rank & file majority of New Jersey voters aren't a) mass transit riders and/or b) environmentalists. They are people who work 12-14 hours a day, bust their asses off, and want to provide for their families. If doing it by car is the most expedient way, the way they are used to, then I don't think that is going to lead to mass unpopularity, as much as a gas tax increase would cause him to be unpopular. People who ride buses and trains to work are in the minority in New Jersey, it's a car-centric state, and it always will be. I am not disparging New Jersey Transit as much as I am stating fact.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 PM

478 posts, read 1,746,349 times
It makes no difference who's in office..they are all the same looking out for only their needs not the people.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,791,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Why should the ones who chose to drive to work pay for the shortcomings of the mass transit system?
Shortcomings? Which ones , more people should our largest system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think the problem is the rank & file majority of New Jersey voters aren't a) mass transit riders and/or b) environmentalists. They are people who work 12-14 hours a day, bust their asses off, and want to provide for their families. If doing it by car is the most expedient way, the way they are used to, then I don't think that is going to lead to mass unpopularity, as much as a gas tax increase would cause him to be unpopular. People who ride buses and trains to work are in the minority in New Jersey, it's a car-centric state, and it always will be. I am not disparging New Jersey Transit as much as I am stating fact.
There not the minority and its not just to work. People use it to go to University & College. We do need to raise the gas tax to fund the Transportation Trust Fund which will run out next year, that means no new Rail , Bus , Bridges , Tunnels or any upgrades. That affects the entire state weather you drive or take Mass Transit. I hope NJT can sell some of its aging fleet to Montreal , which would bring 15 million $. People in this state need to stop whining when it comes to certain things like the gas tax , we get to many free and cheaper deals in this state. I know the Property taxes are high , and they should be lower. The reason people don't ride NJT is , form what ive found they don't know how large the system is and some of the great cities and towns that it goes through.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 PM

18,428 posts, read 15,171,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
NJ has some of the lowest gas taxes in the nation. So why wont Christie raise them
God forbid we have a tax that is LOWER than most states. We cant have that, now can we? How did that one slip by? Lets change it, FAST, before someone gets any bright ideas about lowering OTHER taxes too.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM

478 posts, read 1,746,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
God forbid we have a tax that is LOWER than most states. We cant have that, now can we? How did that one slip by? Lets change it, FAST, before someone gets any bright ideas about lowering OTHER taxes too.

LOL..I like your reply.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,766,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I put together a video. New Jerseyans need to get involved and remind Chris Christie of who put him in office.
You mean remind him of the road-clogging-SUV drivers who put him in office? I think he's well aware of that and that's why he's giving them a break. Anyway, anybody who voted for him can't really complain about him, especially not so soon; anyone who voted for him deserves whatever he does to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey