Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,009 times

Advertisements

Relax. He is not even 4 year old. Learning letters and numbers at 4 is no different than learning them at 5. Send him to a private or public pre-school and he will learn with other kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vismaya View Post
Hi, my son is going to be 4 years old in may. what is the entrance age for kindergarten in new jersey. also what is the basic requirement to be eligible for kindergarten ? which is the best elementary school in north brunswick, NJ? my son doesn't have any interest to learn alphabets or numbers . i am little worried. pls reply.
thanks
vismaya
It is not unusual for a child to not have an interest in letters or numbers. If he is in a pre-school program I would be a little more concerned since children often get excited about learning in the structured environment (even a part time pre-school next year). If you are concerned about his development you should contact your school district just to be sure.

Your son has about 1 1/2 years before he will enter Kindergarten. That's a lot of time to develop.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vismaya View Post
Hi, my son is going to be 4 years old in may. what is the entrance age for kindergarten in new jersey. also what is the basic requirement to be eligible for kindergarten ? which is the best elementary school in north brunswick, NJ? my son doesn't have any interest to learn alphabets or numbers . i am little worried. pls reply.
thanks
vismaya
It is not unusual for a child to not have an interest in letters or numbers. If he is in a pre-school program I would be a little more concerned since children often get excited about learning in the structured environment (even a part time pre-school next year). If you are concerned about his development you should contact your school district just to be sure.

Your son has about 1 1/2 years before he will enter Kindergarten. That's a lot of time to develop.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM

284 posts, read 616,903 times
agree with other parents who said to contact the school district to have him tested if you are concerned. In my district, pre-k is only for kids who have a delay.

On the other hand, if you can manage, I suggest to send the kid to private pre-k if the district does not accept him for pre-k.

As far as the cut-off point for the kid, a friend sent her kid to private K and 1st grade, before transferring back to the public school, her kid missed 2 months, apparently her district would not ask her child to repeat 1st grade, I assume every district is different.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 AM

12 posts, read 64,283 times
Hi all, Thanks a lot for the informations.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 AM

249 posts, read 753,890 times
When I was in school the cutoff was September 30th. A friend of mine had an October birthday. Her parents sent her to a private school for Kindergarten and then moved her to public school for first grade, thus avoiding the cutoff as there is no such cutoff for first graders. She was ready and had great grades throughout school. If you are unsure if your child is ready, I would wait until next year.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,622 times
I just read a story online a few days ago..forgot where sorry..but they are thinking kindergarter is a waste and will stop it soon.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
I was becoming overwhelmed when trying to figure out the difference between pre-k, tk (transitional kindergarten), and “just five". The problem for children with fall bithrdays (Sept 2 - Dec 1) is that they are getting lost in a world of politics. Some government funding requires that first graders be age 6 by September 1st so it leaves principals and superintendents scrambling to find a kindergarten cut off date that makes teachers, parents, and uncle sam happy. Parents are getting confused thinking that once K is over thats the end of the hassle. Through alot of online research I am noticing that the “trick" to the age cut off curse is getting past 1st grade. Even though the younger children are, the more a month's difference can seem like a year developmentally, studies show that by third grade the so called advantage of waiting is no longer relative. While I don't think it's fair that my child who was born just 3 weeks after a friend's child should have to wait an entire year after her to start K, what can I do. If you can afford it and its worth the head ache send your child to private school through 2nd grade. But please note, from personal experience I do not think age matters that much. I started K at age 4 and graduated high school at age 17 then went right along to college. I have never smoked anything, experimented with any drugs, or crashed my car. I can also count the number of times I've been fully drunk on one hand. School, age, and peer pressure are only factors in the overall outcome of a child/teen. Parents have to hold themselves accountable as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM

477 posts, read 800,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
I just read a story online a few days ago..forgot where sorry..but they are thinking kindergarter is a waste and will stop it soon.
There is no need for full day kindergarten. I think half day is a good option. I have sent my children to private half day kindergarten. I can't imagine a five year old sitting in class all that time. The real waste is public preschool. What are 3 and 4 year olds learning? NOTHING. My sister sent her children to abbott preschool. What did they do? 2 hours of nap, one hour outside time, and one hour of play. It's really free babysitting. I guess I wouldn't mind if NJ could afford it and it was called that and not school.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 PM

477 posts, read 800,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrules2012 View Post
I was becoming overwhelmed when trying to figure out the difference between pre-k, tk (transitional kindergarten), and “just five". The problem for children with fall bithrdays (Sept 2 - Dec 1) is that they are getting lost in a world of politics. Some government funding requires that first graders be age 6 by September 1st so it leaves principals and superintendents scrambling to find a kindergarten cut off date that makes teachers, parents, and uncle sam happy. Parents are getting confused thinking that once K is over thats the end of the hassle. Through alot of online research I am noticing that the “trick" to the age cut off curse is getting past 1st grade. Even though the younger children are, the more a month's difference can seem like a year developmentally, studies show that by third grade the so called advantage of waiting is no longer relative. While I don't think it's fair that my child who was born just 3 weeks after a friend's child should have to wait an entire year after her to start K, what can I do. If you can afford it and its worth the head ache send your child to private school through 2nd grade. But please note, from personal experience I do not think age matters that much. I started K at age 4 and graduated high school at age 17 then went right along to college. I have never smoked anything, experimented with any drugs, or crashed my car. I can also count the number of times I've been fully drunk on one hand. School, age, and peer pressure are only factors in the overall outcome of a child/teen. Parents have to hold themselves accountable as well.
If you can afford, just send your children to private school. Public schools are a sinking ship. You child will learn more and make better connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: