Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 21,119 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

For those of you who have had central a/c installed in their homes, I'd be grateful if you could give me an idea of whether the following quote sounds reasonable:

Installation of a Carrier Performance system in a 2,000 SF home in Northern NJ, one zone, no existing ductwork, registers placed on first floor, second floor and in attic.

After federal, state, utility and manufacturer rebates, the cost would be $12,500.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,178 times
I spent about 5 grand doing a direct replacement in a similarly sized house. I had ductwork.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:27 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
I am assuming your home does not have ac now and the whole system will have to be installed including electrical, etc. I would say that a fair price considerng that the lador involved installing ducteork in a finished home is very costly as compared to doing it at the rough in stage of home construction.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 AM

46 posts, read 262,119 times
yanks2009, may I ask where in Northern NJ you are located? Is it for central A/c only and not heat?

We have trouble getting heat to our second floor bedroom and our HVAC guy recommended installing a second furnace and heat up in the attic to heat/cool the 3 bedrooms only. I was quoted $7800 for a 2 ton Carrier system and we will reuse the existing ductwork for 1 bedroom and put in new ducts for the remaining bedrooms. I too question if this is a fair price since it includes electrical, gas line, permit cost. It sounds like your price is better than mine since you are doing it for 3 floors.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:33 AM

108 posts, read 152,124 times
In a house without ductwork, check out www.unicosystem.com

I had this system installed in my house several years ago and it was several thousand dollars less expensive than a ducted system.

Best money I ever spent.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 21,119 times
Thank you for your responses. The house is located in Essex County and does not have any ductwork. The quote is for a/c only...I will keep the existing steam heat.

I will look into the Unico system...I've heard that they can be noisy...is that true?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks2009 View Post
Thank you for your responses. The house is located in Essex County and does not have any ductwork. The quote is for a/c only...I will keep the existing steam heat.

I will look into the Unico system...I've heard that they can be noisy...is that true?
Yes they are generally louder then a standard ducted system due to the higher velocity of the air coming out., But they are cheaper by far and work well.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 PM

108 posts, read 152,124 times
I have one vent that because of the angle of the roof is a little "noisy" but nothing that is unbearable.

Just watch the angles of the flexible ducts and keep them "soft" (45 deg or less before it enters the ceiling).

Hope this helps

Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,900 times
Have you looked at the Misubishi Mr. Slim system? I've seen this on HGTV shows. It doesn't use ductwork but puts the compressor outside and can use a heat pump type system.
Mitsubishi Electric - HVAC Advanced Products Division: Products: Homeowner
I used to live in Washington, D.C. in a house without ductwork and this looks like it would have been a good solution to that.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Have you looked at the Misubishi Mr. Slim system? I've seen this on HGTV shows. It doesn't use ductwork but puts the compressor outside and can use a heat pump type system.
Mitsubishi Electric - HVAC Advanced Products Division: Products: Homeowner
I used to live in Washington, D.C. in a house without ductwork and this looks like it would have been a good solution to that.
the problem with these are you would need multiple ones for the entire house and they are very expensive... but work well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey