Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:39 PM
ehs ehs started this thread

341 posts, read 2,296,980 times

Advertisements

I agree. In fact, I was still checking yahoo email, and all of a sudden, I was prompt to reenter passwd again, then it kept saying illegal password, but then my yahoo instant messager was still working fine, and I even announce this very strange thing. So, it was not inactivity. Of course, now YIM is not working either, and everyday login, it automatically telling me that login fail.

I really appreciate your phone number since I just called that number and report to an operator, and after verifying all the identity, she said that my email address was suspended that I need to send email to

reportabuse@yahoo-inc.com

to report the situation, and I just did. She said it may take about 12 to 14 business hours to restored, but she said the email address is not deleted.

I did not mention any legal action, as there is no need to, if yahoo customer services can help. And, again, I am very appreciate your info, and, of course, this wonderful City-Data Forum.

I have sent them an email and see how they say. I asked an explanation of alleged "violation of the term of use", so that I would know what I did wrong. On the other hand, they just terminate my email address WITHOUT any notice, as a many years user of Yahoo email and good user, I believe Yahoo has much room to improve.

Recently, I read a book called "The World is Flat" saying lots of IT services, including Yahoo outsourced to Banglore India, is this part of Indian culture or American culture?

From my past years of living experience, I think American culture seem not to have this part. Can you imagine one day your bank account all of a sudden disappeared, and no one knows what happened? and you never receive a notice from your bank? And your bank never reply to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 10:42 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
You seem a little more then upset about this??

Makes me wonder what on earth you were keeping in your email account.

I had an extra account and I do know that if you don't access it in a certain amount of time, they will close it and the contents will be lost. I believe its 90 days but I couldn't swear to that.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Ok, I wrote Yahoo another email:

As of now (Sunday 6-10-07, 10:37pm), my yahoo email address wjcheng@yahoo.com that disapeared on 5-31-07 still not restored, and the reply I received from Yahoo is "canned" message.

As you know, every day I could not access my personal info saved on my yahoo email address, the inconvenience and financial loss accumuated.

I wish Yahoo would take this serious, and, in the mean time, I am seeking for any suggestions including legal advise on the forum //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...urt-santa.html

If yahoo choose not to provide me with free email service, Yahoo still obligated to return all my personal info, data, emails ...etc kept in my yahoo email address wjcheng@yahoo.com Those are my personal property and intellectual property that are protected by The Constitutions of the United States.

-------------------------------
In the mean time, I posted a request on California forum, hopefully, there will be more knowledgable members on that forum ...

Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM

As of today, my yahoo email address still not back yet.

Even worse, my post on Califoria Forum was removed by City-Data saying off topic. (City-Data sponsored by Yahoo? Sorry, if that's the case ...)

So, maybe I should look for other forums which would have members with knowledge on case like this ...

If you know any forum that you think may be helpful, please feel free to let me know. I would very appreciated it.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 PM

446 posts, read 845,689 times
Usually the reps will escalate the matter to a supervisor if you mention legal action, thereby increasing the time to resolve this. I suggest calling Yahoo customer service again. At this point, you really should not mention legal action. They could care less about any supposed "financial loss" -- the contract you enter into w/them by opening a free account basically will extinguish Yahoo's liability (if any) where it has messed up.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Thanks for your message again. As of now, my yahoo email address still not back. I would try to contact Yahoo Customer Service again.

I know they will not care about customer's "financial loss" and that's why I said Yahoo still has lots of room to improve on civilization.

As this moment, all I need is to "get back all my personal info" back from my yahoo email account. If yahoo choose to not provide me free email account any more, that's fine, but I need to get all the pictures my families, friends, ex colleagues sent me in addition to many other things in yahoo email account. Those are MY PROPERTY, NOT yahoo's.

I have read the Term of Services clearly, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO places allow yahoo to take user's personal info, and yahoo address book, calendar, ...etc all kept users' personal property and info.

Getting back "my free yahoo email account" is very different from "getting back may personal info" yahoo took it without notice, not to mention proper legal process.

Imagine, your Internet bank, all of a sudden, remove your internet bank account (as I wrote to ING Direct), true they did not charge you for the bank account, bill payment ...etc, but they still NOT entitle to take your property by The Constitution of the US.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:26 PM

446 posts, read 845,689 times
The thing is, Yahoo's TOS explicitly states that Yahoo has the right to delete or terminate accounts and that Yahoo may delete any communications without notice and without any liability whatsoever. This isn't a question of Yahoo "taking" something. I don't know what to say but that the only way this would be resolved is by calling. If that no longer works, send hard copies of letters to some customer relations execs. there at Yahoo.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM

I have consulted my lawyer, and I was told that I do have the property ownership for all I saved in my private yahoo email account.

Yahoo has the right to delete any communications, but has no right on my personal info and property. Just like the landlord may have right to sell the property, but has no right to tenant's property.

Yahoo at its own discretion can choose to provide free email address or not, but has no right to take personal emails, data, photos ...etc.

I would let my lawyer to send hard copy letter to Yahoo if Yahoo Customer Service insist to take all my personal emails, photos, bank info, credit cards ...etc that store in the my yahoo email address.

One test would be for the judge to order Yahoo to prove it does NOT have all my personal emails, photos, info ...etc. and that Yahoo would fail to do this since Yahoo Customer Services said that my email account was "suspended", all my info is NOT removed!!!

At this point, I care less to have a free email address from Yahoo since it has lost its creditbility on me!!! Even if it resume my yahoo email address, I would not use it for any meaningful communication. I am sure NO one will after gone thru this kind of hassel (hey! no email since 5-31-07 ...)

My key point is to get back all my personal Intelectual Property that Yahoo still holding in its hand that does NOT belong to Yahoo....

In this country, no matter what you said in your agreement, as long as it violate The Constitution of the US, it is invalid. e.g. UPS can choose not to provide service to me if I underpaid the fee, but it can NOT take my packages sent to my parents or packages sent from my parents without legal process... This is the same as US Post Office, if you have insufficient postage, they will NOT hold your letter but return to you.

It is getting more and more apprent that Yahoo will not win in the court if it choose to wait to have to fight in the court. Also, if email provider does NOT want user to store their emails, photos, address book, ...etc in the email account, what is the reason they provide 1Gb storage or even unlimited storage? What is that storage for? These are all the questions I need to ask Yahoo in court if I have to.

Btw, as of now, my yahoo email address still not back ...

Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
Let me tell you what my husband found out...

While you may have a right to your private information first you have to prove that email address was yours...simply knowing the details doesn't prove anything...

Why did my husband look into this??

I hacked his account when I suspected something was up with him and found he had been carrying on an affair via the internet...I hacked 1/2 dozen email accounts on Yahoo...

He called them whining and was told how can you prove it was your account, anyone can sign up and use whatever details they want with Yahoo unlike the email address that comes with your ISP service.

Dude your stuff is gone...get over it.
Back your stuff up from now on.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 PM

I have called the Yahoo Customer Care, and I have proved to them and asnwered all their questions and they have agreed that I do own the email address. So, this is not an issue now, and I have the case number, so it is too late for Yahoo's lawyer to deny that fact already if I should take Yahoo to court.

But, I just click your message "positive", thanks for your head up. You must be good to get so much reputation!

By the way, as of now, my email address is not back yet... very frustrating ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey