U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:58 PM

9 posts, read 45,946 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to NJ..work in NYC..on NJTransit map I found following locations on different lines, with about 40 min commute to penn station- Rutherford, passaic, maplewood, bloomfield, cranford, rahway...I have no clue which of them are safe, how much would be a 1BR apt rent? which areas have apts close to station (to avoid parking/additional commute time)......my additional info...unmarried, no children, own a car (want to keep it) ..I would highly appreciate if somebody can help...thanx a lot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 PM

21 posts, read 338,394 times
Well Rutherford is in the most expensive county in NJ and 1br cound start from $1,100 and up. Bloomfield can start from $850 and up. Cranford is expensive and rural has a great downtown shopping area, very expensive town and taxes are growing. Maplewood is small and expensive and neigbors alot of towns that are not safe, such as certain parts of Newark Irvington etc, but the town itself is safe.
Bloomfield is close to the subway and there is a train station in cranford, and trains are close to get to in Maplewood. Not sure about the other towns. Parking is good and bad in NJ. You will not survive without a car but insurance will kill you here. Would not advise driving to NY traffic is terrible! Parking is Expensive. Your best bet is to commute to work. Personally I love Bloomfield. Whatever you do if you rent an apartment make sure heat and hot water is included! hope that helps a bit

Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,203,464 times
The place I lived called Edison Hollow South that is only 5 minute walk to Edison Train Station, about 45 minute to Midtown Penn Station, or 25 minute to Newark and another 20 PATH to downtown WTC area.

The rent is about $1,200 to $1,375 depending on size and if you have builtin washer/dryer, there are 6 different sizes. There are total 220 units and you can either buy or rent from individual owner. 1707 Raspberry Ct Edison NJ just sold $197,000 (1br 1ba condo top floor).

Pets are allow, parking lots are a lot and free, one assigned to each unit and plenty public, I know Jemmy has 4 cars and fine. The building hallway entrace has main door, so it takes TWO doors to get in your own unit, harder for burglar to break in even if you are away.

I know Danny's 1533 Raspberry Ct 1br 1ba condo will be available on 7-1-07 908 635-2037 (cell), there are another 2 are 1br with finished basement, 1800 sq ft available mid June. One dozen has that kind of layout, about $1,650. Most poeple living here are IT professional working at Wall St.

My brother-in-law told me an interesting story when he was at Goldman on 85 Broad St 2nd floor, he got many colleagues living in the complex...

Next to it is Edison Village (bldg 1 to 8) and Blueberry Village which are rental apartment need to go thru rental office at 732 985-6556.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:05 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,203,464 times
By the way, Edison is top 10 safest town in the natioin, in addition to Brick.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:18 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,904,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmidwest View Post
I'm planning to move to NJ..work in NYC..on NJTransit map I found following locations on different lines, with about 40 min commute to penn station- Rutherford, passaic, maplewood, bloomfield, cranford, rahway...I have no clue which of them are safe, how much would be a 1BR apt rent? which areas have apts close to station (to avoid parking/additional commute time)......my additional info...unmarried, no children, own a car (want to keep it) ..I would highly appreciate if somebody can help...thanx a lot!

all are ok except for passaic, it all depends on if you want a more suburban or urban town

Old 06-03-2007, 09:43 PM

thx for some great input so far! If all these towns have similar expenses then I guess I would prefer more urban town w/ happening places, bars etc...also I would greatly appreciate if someone could comment on following places too- lyndhurst, elizabeth, orange, union...thx!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
thx for some great input so far! If all these towns have similar expenses then I guess I would prefer more urban town w/ happening places, bars etc...also I would greatly appreciate if someone could comment on following places too- lyndhurst, elizabeth, orange, union...thx!
lyndhurst is anything but a happening place, elizabeth and orange are no go zones, and which union? union city is a heavily urban, cuban town and union township is very suburban

Old 06-04-2007, 07:34 AM

thx Kort! ...I saw a "Union" in NJT map on Raritan valley line, 2 stops east of cranford ...I don't know whether its the city or township....any other suggestions are welcome...my budget for 1BR is abt 1250-1350$ (incl heat and hot water)..

Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
thx Kort! ...I saw a "Union" in NJT map on Raritan valley line, 2 stops east of cranford ...I don't know whether its the city or township....any other suggestions are welcome...my budget for 1BR is abt 1250-1350$ (incl heat and hot water)..
that would be the township

Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM

12 posts, read 38,640 times
Default job relocating to midland park

my husband has a job opp in midland park, nj. could someone please advise on an affordable/low taxes, yet decent/safe place to live within 30 miles of midland park? i see that bergen cty is very expensive, and i think i'd like to move north or west to be further away from NYC and all of the congestion. i heard that orange county, ny may be a good place to reside, but i am not sure.........as it looks a bit on the older side. i am originally from south jersey, where my 13-yr-old, 1,800 sq. ft. house was $270,000 a year ago, and my taxes $6,600. i am finding it hard to swallow the possibility of paying $600,00for a decent house.

any suggestions??? thanks a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey