Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 PM

13,379 posts, read 28,636,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm surprised you don't have to already. my dad had to not only live in NJ, but hudson county.
You're dad was police wasn't he? They always have had residency requirments for police, usually first year they have to live in town where hired, then many allow you to move but it must be within NJ.

This is for other public workers, working for State, county or municipalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM

322 posts, read 545,957 times
Think about the lost revenue for the Port Authorities as well. Admission is free, you pay to get out.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 PM

478 posts, read 1,745,819 times
Now our new state treasurer that Christie picked has to move..he lives in NYC.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,734,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I support the idea in principal, but wonder if they'd be so quick to implement something like this if NY did the same thing. While I'm sure there are some NJ government workers who live in PA, I'd say there are probably far more NY government employees who live in NJ.

NYPD and NYFD both have this policy in effect. Other state employees, I am not sure of.

I think it would be ok if they implemented it, but requiring existing workers living out of state to move is ridiculous.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:22 PM

19 posts, read 149,183 times
Does anyone have any actual figures on how many public employees this affects? How many public workers are living out of state? And on the same token, how many NJ residents are public employees in another state?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,962,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

My brother-in-law is a Philadelphia fireman and they require he lives within th city limits.....I can understand this concept in principal as quick emergency response can be necessary at times. However, that being said I find it unacceptable that "government" would be allowed to determine where you have to live......as long as you can arrive on time for your job the geographic location of your "home" should not determine who is hired or fired. Under this guildeline someone less qualified for a position could be hired just because they live closer and thats just plain dumb.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:55 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,278,675 times
According to the article, PA already has a similar law.

I'm not sure how many people this affects, but I'm not sure I like the idea of trying to make NJ more crowded than it already is. I also don't like it because of simple geography. Why can't someone working in Trenton live in PA 10 minutes away?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,526,998 times
NJ is too close to other states for this to be fair. A person could work in Trenton and walk to PA.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,913,940 times
Seems fair enough to me. I have a friend who is an NYC firefighter and he has to live in NY state. He lives far out on LI, so it's not a matter of being close to NYC - just paying NY taxes.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 AM

23,386 posts, read 17,061,069 times
Default Hey, my nephew would do a good job....

Emotionally sounds good.

It is a bit provincial and of dubious value financially for the state.
Reminds me of Maine not allowing non-residents to hunt on the first day of deer season. A pure psychological bone thrown to appease the natives and irk the non-residents.

Again because NY and PA, MD, DE are so close, it is practical to hold a job out of state. Any action by one state would certainly precipitate a reciprical action by the other.

Has been a illegal to ask a job candidate who lives a distance from the job if they can get to work on time or in bad weather. That is the employees responsibility and if they cannot demonstrate reliability they lose their job.

I'd be more concerned about nepotism and political favors than hiring out of state residents to fill government jobs.

Already the interstate wars began with the establishment of a salt water NY fishing license. Scratch those stripped bass honey holes off your GPS because they are over the imaginary state line in the middle of the featureless bay....unless you buy a $40 NY fishing license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey