Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I understand your point but what gives "government" the right to impose rules regarding where you can live when its not tolerated in private business ? It seems like over time we have become "accepting" of all types of rules and regulations that interfere with our private lives just because we're told we have to do it when theres really no good reason that we should have to do it ? This country was supposed to founded on freedom and personal choice but yet the very government thats supposed to be protecting these rights simply overlooks this responsibility and guarantee in the rush to find ways to collect taxes ?
I agree with what you are saying in that i hate gov intervention in our lives but when the PUBLIC is paying your salary i think WE have the right to make demands of employees that go above and beyond that required by private citizens working for private companies. This rule at least only affects people with state gov jobs. they can opt out by NOT working for the state gov. Most other intrusive legislation we cannot opt out of. Besides, even private sector employers have tons of restrictions.

My wife finally got another job (for a public accounting firm) and not only did they do an extensive backround search on both of us, we had to divulge ALL organizations we are members of, all companies we do personal business with, where we have all our bank accounts, credit checks on both of us, everything!!! We even had to divulge whether or not any immediate family members worked for certain companies or groups. It was absolutely increduble what they required. But, they had real reasons behind all of it and told her if she didnt like it she didnt have to accept their job offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
It's only logical that a state worker reside in the state where he/she works. I don't see any issue here.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:24 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
It's only logical that a state worker reside in the state where he/she works. I don't see any issue here.
Easy to say if you live in Texas or something but in NJ you border up against 3 other states all which are consider subarbs or cities in other states. So it makes it a tad easier & more normal for people to live in a different state.

That all being said I don't see an issue for it either FOR NEW employees. To require current employees to move would be extreme if you ask me.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
I understand your point but what gives "government" the right to impose rules regarding where you can live when its not tolerated in private business ?
I don't necessarily agree with this proposal for other reasons I stated earlier, but it is understandable since the public is paying these people's salaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I'd like to see those on NJ state pensions who live outside of NJ pay it too, or take a hit. That is taxpayer money just flowing out of the state and comes with no benefits whatsoever.
This actually might not be a terrible idea, since like current workers' salaries, the public is paying their pension. Although isn't everyone taxed when they move out of NJ anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Oh my!! do you really want to tax all those NJ Firefighters and Police Officers? Let's not forget the teachers. They take all these risks - inflated pension, bankable vacation taken in a lump sum at retirement, retirement before 55. Have I left any other risks out?
Are teachers considered state workers?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:10 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Are teachers considered state workers?
I dont know if im allowed to post this but heres a snippet from the article...

Quote:
"...
The bill applies to state, county and municipal employees and those working for political subdivisions of the state.

Employees of public authorities, boards, agencies and commissions would also be subject to the measure. So would anyone working within the educational system, including state colleges and universities...."

Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I agree with what you are saying in that i hate gov intervention in our lives but when the PUBLIC is paying your salary i think WE have the right to make demands of employees that go above and beyond that required by private citizens working for private companies.
Your taxes pay their salary for the job the perform and nothing more. Exactly what gives you the right to intrude into their private lives and dictate where they can and can't raise their family ? As long as they perform their job as expected what difference does it make to you personally as the tax payer where they live ? Because they may be public employees that somehow makes them second class citizens unable to make their lifes choices without you looking over their shoulder to see if their choices meet with your approval ?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Because they may be public employees that somehow makes them second class citizens unable to make their lifes choices without you looking over their shoulder to see if their choices meet with your approval ?
Second class citizens is being kind-most on this board consider cops, firefighters, teachers, and most all public sector workers less than subhuman. What I like about a residency requirement (and I only support it if it grandfathers those who currently hold jobs and live out of state-forcing people to move or quit is ridiculous) is it at least gives people a stake in things. If you're a big shot in Trenton who drives over the bridge to your mansion in Bucks County every night, what do you care if the state is financial straits so long as your skin is safe? If it really all goes to hell you can just stay on your side of the river. The law should simply state that effective xxx date all new hires must have established New Jersey residency.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Second class citizens is being kind-most on this board consider cops, firefighters, teachers, and most all public sector workers less than subhuman. What I like about a residency requirement (and I only support it if it grandfathers those who currently hold jobs and live out of state-forcing people to move or quit is ridiculous) is it at least gives people a stake in things. If you're a big shot in Trenton who drives over the bridge to your mansion in Bucks County every night, what do you care if the state is financial straits so long as your skin is safe? If it really all goes to hell you can just stay on your side of the river. The law should simply state that effective xxx date all new hires must have established New Jersey residency.

The law ? Who needs another stinking "law" making decisions for people that they can make for themselves and their family regarding of all things where they can live ? Most public employees have years of experience in their position and can't leave so this "law" is basically creating an avenue to legally hold them hostage !!! Its a disgrace in a country that supposedly prides itself on freedom.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Well take a look at the County Sheriff's Dept. for example. Some make a higher salary than the police do and many of the correction officers don't even live in the same County yet they get their salaries paid by County taxpayers. Any taxpayer, public, civil service employment should require that employee live in thfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png (broken link)e same State, County of the taxpayers who pay their salaries. Since they do what the NJ Turnpike employees were caught doing which is taking turns calling in sick so everyone gets a chance at making overtime pay of about $100,00 a year just in over time ...not including their regular salary I'd say it's about time they were forced live in the same County, State that pays them or be forced to pay 3x extra since they obviously have the money to afford to pay it considering the huge soprano homes they buy.

Also since I can't find any other place to say this another place to start with helping to save money and our State,County by cutting back would be to stop early vacation pay. Why allow public employees to take out vacation pay before they do the actual work without having to pay some sort of interest for taking out a loan on their salary? Employees who fear direct deposit do this when they take vacation on pay day or for that pay week. Most people have to save up for their vacation or use their direct deposit to have the money available while on vacation and have the advice (check) mailed to their address while on vacation. I don't think it's right to allow this on taxpayer dollars.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
This will be great when NY and PA retaliate and fire all those city, county and state workers or force them to move. Every action always is responded in kind.

Not to mention the lawsuits when current employees aren't grandfathered in. As it seems here, if you work for a county, you are paid by that county so you should be forced to work in that county. How about taking it further and force them to live in the city or town itself. After all, they are paying the salary. Then be prepared to overturn the current state law on the subject.

Quote:
Why allow public employees to take out vacation pay before they do the actual work without having to pay some sort of interest for taking out a loan on their salary?
Benefits (vacation, holiday, sick time ) are usually vredited the first day of the year unless the contract states otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey