Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 PM

21 posts, read 89,116 times

Advertisements

Jersey City Bus Driver Shot, Run Over By Mugger - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/umberto.jersey.city.2.1551924.html - broken link)

Read the above news, this is happening in our neighborhoods!

Today I would feel more safe in the streets of Iraq than Jersey City!!!

Moderator cut: Not necessary there was a bus robbery in JC the other day and our citizens need to know what's going on!

Where is the police? We spend trillons of dollars from our taxes' money to keep other countries safe when our nation is deep in crime!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-12-2010 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: No problem -- it's a valid local topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Jersey City is very safe for a city of its size , a few stories shouldn't worry you. The police are doing there jobs and crime is down alot just like in Newark.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
The Iraq comparison is a bit extreme, but perhaps hyperbole is not such a bad thing in this case.

I wouldn't be "scared" to be in Jersey City, but JC's biggest enemies are those who claim it is safe enough and try to ignore all criticism or suggestions for improvement. Of course, this is the attitude that has ruined NJ overall.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Jersey City is very safe for a city of its size , a few stories shouldn't worry you. The police are doing there jobs and crime is down alot just like in Newark.

Your optimism is excellent and its great to see people speak positive about JC and Newark. Unfortunatly JC and Newark are for the most part struggling with violent crime. Read the NJ papers everyday and see what goes on in some of these neighborhoods. They might be going down in crime slowly but when I read stories like this and people being attacked with machetes I'd hardly call that safe. Keep in mind im not talking about all the neighborhoods in these cities.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Your optimism is excellent and its great to see people speak positive about JC and Newark. Unfortunately JC and Newark are for the most part struggling with violent crime. Read the NJ papers everyday and see what goes on in some of these neighborhoods. They might be going down in crime slowly but when I read stories like this and people being attacked with machetes I'd hardly call that safe. Keep in mind im not talking about all the neighborhoods in these cities.
I rarely hear about alot violent crime anymore , yes there are some crimes but they are small. I wish everybody in NJ was as optimistic as me. Then cities and towns would be better instead of people fleeing the problem. Park somewhere in the Ironbound and walk around , i can grantee you won't get hurt. JC very safe except 2 neighborhoods ,whens the last time you have been to both of these cities?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I rarely hear about alot violent crime anymore , yes there are some crimes but they are small. I wish everybody in NJ was as optimistic as me. Then cities and towns would be better instead of people fleeing the problem. Park somewhere in the Ironbound and walk around , i can grantee you won't get hurt. JC very safe except 2 neighborhoods ,whens the last time you have been to both of these cities?
Ok this is just Jersey City, so a Journal Square bodega owners father was just beaten with a chair and robbed 2 days back. Then in the heights someone was assaulted with a machete in one of the parks and greenville forget about it, two girls were hit with stray bullets, this is all within a week or so. Im not trying to knock it , its just the truth. And I lived in Newark for quite a few years and just recently moved back to JC so yea I know it pretty well. Now I love both cities and they both have tons to offer but to say that they are safe ??? your just being deceitful. Oh and even the Ironbound my previous landlord was held up at gunpoint about a year ago. So even the safest areas of these two cities still have some issues. A more acceptable response from you would have been not that these areas are "very safe" but rather alot nicer and SAFER than the rest of the cities. Its one thing to be a fear monger and say its all unsafe and scary but its another thing to be realistic, which is what I try to be.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
If the Jersey journal published every crime committed every day there would be room for nothing else, it's only the more vicious crimes published.
look at the two last year that shot the worker coming to his garage on Broadway or there abouts last year, those two were the shooters that resulted in one of Jersey City's cops being killed and I think 4 more shot....people like them and the one who shot the bus driver are animals and are capable of anything.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:24 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Your optimism is excellent and its great to see people speak positive about JC and Newark. Unfortunatly JC and Newark are for the most part struggling with violent crime. Read the NJ papers everyday and see what goes on in some of these neighborhoods. They might be going down in crime slowly but when I read stories like this and people being attacked with machetes I'd hardly call that safe. Keep in mind im not talking about all the neighborhoods in these cities.
Yes, but find me a city of nearly 300,000 people in the US that does NOT struggle with violent crime. The point is, generally for a city of it's size, Jersey City is not any less safe than any other mid-sized US city. Of course it's more dangerous than a suburb...that is the nature of a city. My neighborhood in Jersey City has very little crime other than petty, quality of life stuff.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yes, but find me a city of nearly 300,000 people in the US that does NOT struggle with violent crime. The point is, generally for a city of it's size, Jersey City is not any less safe than any other mid-sized US city. Of course it's more dangerous than a suburb...that is the nature of a city. My neighborhood in Jersey City has very little crime other than petty, quality of life stuff.
Yea your downtown neighborhood is fine now, nobody is saying downtown isnt a safe area of the city, same with Ironbound or Forrest Hills Newark. Its the people that come on these boards and rant about how its almost perfect and "very" safe. Those are the same people that probably live in a pixie world with lollipop trees and rainbows. Im am being realistic, I know it hurts some but that's life.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:44 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Never believe anyone who says JC is safe. They are either a real estate agent or just plain ignorant. Tommy always thinks this incidents are 'normal'... Hahahahahah
For the 1,000th time - for better or worse, this IS "normal" for a city of this size. Can you point to a mid-sized US city where these incidents are NOT normal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey