Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,289 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I just recently got a new job in Manhattan that pays me enough to afford to live on my own, but I'm tired of paying the same amount of money my parents pay on the mortgage for their house so that I can live in a walk-in closet here in Manhattan lol.

I'm thinking of relocating to New Jersey, as some of my friends do, but don't know much about the state so I have no idea where to start looking.

Can you guys suggest some decent commuter-friendly cities in NJ? I don't mind up to an hour and a half commute by bus or train.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 PM

33 posts, read 115,702 times
where is ur job at manhatten? there is PATH to 33st and wtc, so basically u can choose any place that is close to any path station.

see here
Service - PATH - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

hth

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by living_jerseycity View Post
where is ur job at manhatten? there is PATH to 33st and wtc, so basically u can choose any place that is close to any path station.

see here

hth
My job is in Midtown

Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 PM

33 posts, read 115,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimelightsFaded View Post
My job is in Midtown
so u can take path to 33st

Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 PM

88 posts, read 367,626 times
anywhere is good if you can get to the path or new jersey transit train.. just stay away from Newark, Paterson, and Jersey city (except downtown JC which is good but pricey b/c close to path stations). finding parking for your car is a nightmare in hudson and bergen county.. keep searching though!

edit- decent commuter cities in nj- Downtown JC, Hoboken, Union, Roselle Park, Secaucus, Parts of bergen county have light rail service to the ferry... thats all i can think of right now

Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Not Paterson thats too far and has bad crime. Ironbound and neighborhoods north of I-280 in Newark. Journal SQ , Jersey City Heights ,and some parts of Historic Downtown (Jersey City). Harrison , Union City , Weehawken , North Bergen , Bayonne , Elizabeth. Always visit the neighborhood before you purchase and Apartment or Loft.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 21,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimelightsFaded View Post
My job is in Midtown
Consider Weehawken/West NY. 15 minute bus ride to Port Authority for your daily commute, 24 hour jitney buses across the street from Port Authority if you're out late on the weekends. And there's lightrail to Jersey City/Hoboken. I live in weehawken, and there's not much to do if you're relatively young. It has more of a family vibe to it, I live right by the high school. But I'm always in manhattan/hoboken anyway.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
That's the kind of places they keep steering city people towards, BUT how about none of those and getting a REAL NJ place, the knid that REAL NJ people would live in?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:36 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by living_jerseycity View Post

see here

hth
x2. If you can commute via the PATH, then Hoboken or Newport (JC) are definitely worth looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey