Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 PM

47 posts, read 159,968 times

Advertisements

Obviously not everyone lives at the shore all year round. Those who visit on a daily, weekly or summer months schedule are affectionately known as Bennies, or, as the South Jersey natives say, WEBbies (Week End Bast****).

Are these temps ruining or saving the Jersey shore and why?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
They're SHOOBIES down here, I never heard of Webbies and I've been in south Jersey my whole life!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM

47 posts, read 159,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sPlat View Post
Obviously not everyone lives at the shore all year round. Those who visit on a daily, weekly or summer months schedule are affectionately known as Bennies, or, as the South Jersey natives say, WEBbies (Week End Bast****).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They're SHOOBIES down here, I never heard of Webbies and I've been in south Jersey my whole life!

Oops, thanks Ok trying again:

Obviously not everyone lives at the shore all year round. Those who visit on a daily, weekly or summer months schedule are affectionately known as Bennies, or, as the South Jersey natives say, Shoobies

Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Both. They spend a lot of money there, but because they do they think they own the place. A lot of them also seem to think that their garbage will just throw itself out.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I agree, We need them, but for some (not all) there is a certain attitude of entitlement to do whatever they feel like doing, like double park in the street when there's a spot at the curb 10 feet away, forcing cars to sit there and wait until they can enter the lane of oncoming traffic to get around them, or let their kids run on the dunes, all around the "Keep off the Dunes" signs. I guess every rose has it's thorn, but I admit I struggle with seeing the rose part each summer!

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-05-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Need is a relative term. I do not need them. No one in my family needs them. I also would not miss any business that needs them (except maybe Hoffman's). I miss the way my town was when I was a kid before it became uber-benny friendly but oh well.

As for the temps, they were here at least by the license plates.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I go there mid-week; is there a name for me?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM

36 posts, read 104,890 times
I grew up on the Island in SSH and lived there the first 30 years of my life there were only a handfull of year round kids. I love threads like this where I see tons of people tha live 10 miles inland refer to others as Bennies like They didn't get in a car and invaid my backyard the same as the tourists.

Yes the bennies are good for the local economy and for a laugh. I never had a problem with them cause when they came over I left to vacation in the Adirondacks.. Many people that grew up ther like me felt special to enjoy what the shore had to offer every day all year I neer minded commuting an hour and a half each day to work because everyone talked about visiting what I saw eery day.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
If everyone that didn't live "at" the beach was a benny, then there's a heckuva lot of bennies. To me, if you actually live in NJ and can get to the beach in less than an hour then you're not really a benny

Edit: Although I guess that's just because I don't want to be considered as a benny (even though I never even heard that term until I went to the Central Jersey beaches...I don't even know what all the people from PA that went to the SJ beaches were called)

Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 PM

153 posts, read 488,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Need is a relative term. I do not need them. No one in my family needs them. I also would not miss any business that needs them (except maybe Hoffman's). I miss the way my town was when I was a kid before it became uber-benny friendly but oh well.

As for the temps, they were here at least by the license plates.
^ What she said.

I don't benefit whatsoever from tourism and neither do most people around here. Our taxes aren't affected either way by it - it's really a wash in that sense. A handful of businesses make out, and that's great for them, but the vast majority of people aren't making all their money for the year in three months. The bars and restaurants all seem to do just fine year-round. Most Shore communities have become more and more year-round and I assume that trend will continue as more families move southward.

About the only effect summer tourism has on me is the fact that I can't get a parking space in my own town and have to pay $8 for a rum and coke at all the local bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey