Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:06 AM

33 posts, read 131,390 times

Advertisements

I have been reading as many posts as I can about Randolph and other towns in the area like Mendham, Mountain Lakes & Chester. Of these, Randolph seems to be more affordable for us. We are a family of 4 moving to NJ and looking for a fabulous neighborhood, community and top notch schools. Would Randolph fit the bill? Why wouldn't you choose it? My husband will be working in East Hanover and it seems like an acceptable commute. Just wondering if we would be making the right choice. Your help & honest feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:15 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,544,335 times
Randolph is fine. Why ask twice? Sounds like you already have your heart set on Randolph : )))

Old 09-21-2008, 10:37 AM

33 posts, read 131,390 times
Well, now I am re-thinking this after the post about Randolph schools being "good" not top schools. Wondering if I should go with one of the other towns just for the "top" schools. I guess I am looking for more info to help me decide...

Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeartist09 View Post
Well, now I am re-thinking this after the post about Randolph schools being "good" not top schools. Wondering if I should go with one of the other towns just for the "top" schools. I guess I am looking for more info to help me decide...
The towns themselves should be a priority as well. Randolph is so close to Rt. 10 and DOVER!!! But then again, I'm a country gal - I like rural suburbia : ). I would suggest taking a ride out to the different twps. and getting a feel for them yourself. You'll know which town is right for you when you get that "this is perfect!" feeling : )
What about the hanovers? I see their school is rank up in the top 100? Nice easy commute for hubby : )

Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 AM

one big question... how old are your kids now? Just because a HS is ranked high doesn't mean your child will turn out to be a rocket scientist : ) Environment is just as important!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:13 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,903,517 times
I know this isn't what you want to hear but I feel like Randolph is on it's way down. It's just not the same uptopia with amazing schools it once was. I would pick any of the other 3 towns you mentioned even if it meant a lesser house. Best of luck.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 PM

505 posts, read 1,756,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I know this isn't what you want to hear but I feel like Randolph is on it's way down. It's just not the same uptopia with amazing schools it once was. I would pick any of the other 3 towns you mentioned even if it meant a lesser house. Best of luck.
+1

We looked in Randolph when we were looking at houses (Spring 08) because of the things that you mentioned. I had heard a lot of good things from people about Randolph and wanted to check it out.

I was unimpressed. I dont know if you checked out other areas, but my impression of Randolph was that its location isn't really ideal to me (butts up against Dover) and the houses were nothing special. Then some research into the schools showed that they weren't as good as everyone had been telling me. Are they good schools- yes. Are they top tier? No.
Take it as you see fit, but look at the 2008 NJ Monthly high school rankings to see how Randolph is this year and what else, look at how much it fell in a 2 year time frame.

The 3 towns you mentioned I think offer more and there are some other places that bring more to the table as well. Heck, look in East Hanover!

Best of luck

Old 09-21-2008, 07:49 PM

526 posts, read 1,387,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeartist09 View Post
I have been reading as many posts as I can about Randolph and other towns in the area like Mendham, Mountain Lakes & Chester. Of these, Randolph seems to be more affordable for us. We are a family of 4 moving to NJ and looking for a fabulous neighborhood, community and top notch schools. Would Randolph fit the bill? Why wouldn't you choose it? My husband will be working in East Hanover and it seems like an acceptable commute. Just wondering if we would be making the right choice. Your help & honest feedback is appreciated.
Randolph is kind of far out, Taxes are out of control, Unlikely to benefit from people moving in closer to their jobs so appreciation/depreciation likly will be very unfavorable over the next many years.

Parsippany is a far better choice if heading out in that direction. Morris Twp is also a much better choice.

Moderator cut: NO SIGNATURES

Last edited by tahiti; 09-22-2008 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 AM

87 posts, read 387,307 times
i graduated randolph high school in '03 and the school offers alot, however it will depend on the student...we have alot of people(100+) going to top ranked colleges with good benifits but we also had about 60 kids who were going nowhere...taxes are on the high side, my parents still live there and like(except paying the taxes part with no kids in the school system) the commute to east hanover is not bad at all. I lived on the side that is next to dover and never had an issue liked going there for cheap gas as it was good 10-15 cents cheaper then in randolph...

Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM

16,934 posts, read 12,475,636 times
>Randolph is kind of far out, <
True
>Taxes are out of control<
The whole state is this. Cant relate specifics.
>Unlikely to benefit from people moving in closer to their jobs so appreciation/depreciation likly will be very unfavorable over the next many years. <
Possibly true but people will give up SUVs before they give up suburban homes.

>Parsippany is a far better choice if heading out in that direction. Morris Twp is also a much better choice.<

And both are much more expensive. So are Mtn Lakes, Chester etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey