Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:34 PM

11 posts, read 64,469 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on these two complexes? Montgomery Woods seems nicer (as reflected in the prices) and more townhome-ish while Colonnade Point seems like more straightforward condo. I'm also kind of concerned by the number of Colonnade Point units up for sale...is that an indicator of something negative? Any thoughts on commuting from these places to Bedminster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmdc View Post
Any thoughts on these two complexes? Montgomery Woods seems nicer (as reflected in the prices) and more townhome-ish while Colonnade Point seems like more straightforward condo. I'm also kind of concerned by the number of Colonnade Point units up for sale...is that an indicator of something negative? Any thoughts on commuting from these places to Bedminster?
Had family who lived in Montgomery Woods until late last year, it's a really nice development, lots of mature landscaping. It's in Somerset Cnty, not Mercer, but you have a Princeton address. Schools are Montgomery Twsp and are excellent. Taxes are pretty high for a smallish townhome - $6K and up plus association fees.

I don't know anything about Colonnade Point.

Commuting to Bedminster (AT&T or Dendrite?) will be a bit hairy on 206 through Hillsborough, but since it's not far in miles it wouldn't bother me too much. Once you get to Bridgewater mall it's smooth sailing (this is going north in the AM). I wouldn't discount the area b/c of the commute. Have you looked at The Hills in Bedminster? A little pricer, but taxes will be lower and you'll be closer to work.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Princeton - Montgomery Woods/Colonnade Point

Thanks, tahiti. I grew up in SJ (Marlton) and am used to what I feel are very convenient amenities (easily accessed grocery stores, restaurants, etc.). Also I'm currently living in DC so I'm definitely not used to sprawl in my local community. In my exposure to Central Jersey since I started a new job here in March, it feels a little too spread out to me. You can't easily go to a single location and get a lot done. Ironic, I know, since people usually describe SJ as more rural or suburban. It's not that I want wall-to-wall strip malls, but I'd like to be able to at least minimize my driving by going to one key destination and walking from there. Anyway, some coworkers said if that's what I'm looking for, I should check out Princeton.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks, tahiti. I grew up in SJ (Marlton) and am used to what I feel are very convenient amenities (easily accessed grocery stores, restaurants, etc.). Also I'm currently living in DC so I'm definitely not used to sprawl in my local community. In my exposure to Central Jersey since I started a new job here in March, it feels a little too spread out to me. You can't easily go to a single location and get a lot done. Ironic, I know, since people usually describe SJ as more rural or suburban. It's not that I want wall-to-wall strip malls, but I'd like to be able to at least minimize my driving by going to one key destination and walking from there. Anyway, some coworkers said if that's what I'm looking for, I should check out Princeton.
Your coworker is right. That area, while not much is within walking distance (you can't walk to anything if you purchase in Mont. Woods), is a minimal drive. They do seem to have everything close by. It's very similar to Marlton in that respect. GL!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM

60 posts, read 323,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Had family who lived in Montgomery Woods until late last year, it's a really nice development, lots of mature landscaping. It's in Somerset Cnty, not Mercer, but you have a Princeton address. Schools are Montgomery Twsp and are excellent.
I *think* that development is South Brunswick schools, which is still good. As long as you aren't on the west side of 27, which is Franklin Twp (not such good schools).

Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatElvisForever View Post
I *think* that development is South Brunswick schools, which is still good. As long as you aren't on the west side of 27, which is Franklin Twp (not such good schools).
do you mean Montgomery Woods? no, it's montgomery township and montgomery schools. somerset cnty, not mercer or middlesex. orchard hill elem, village elem, mont. middle school, mont. high school. my niece goes there.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:19 AM

tahiti, I'm just curious, you seem to know a lot about a lot of different Jersey areas...have you lived in different places around the state or something? How do you know all these neighborhoods?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
tahiti, I'm just curious, you seem to know a lot about a lot of different Jersey areas...have you lived in different places around the state or something? How do you know all these neighborhoods?

well, i've lived in north jersey all my life (with a brief stint in burlington cnty), have friends and family all over the place. i've worked in several other areas too. also, it just so happens you've asked about areas i'm intimately familiar with. I think you also asked about the washington twsp/chester area, awhile back, right?

but, if you ask me about anything south of cherry hill in the west, and south of LBI on the east, i'm pretty clueless

Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM

Yes, Washington Twp/Chester was me. The more time I've spent up here for my new project, the more concerned I've gotten that longterm it might not be a fit. Before I accept a (possible) permanent transfer, I want to make sure I can find a spot where I'll be happy and everyone's answer so far seems to be "look at Princeton". Us folks (who grew up) in SJ tend to view ourselves as very separate from the rest of Jersey so I'm always impressed with folks who cross the divide and know more than just South, Central or North :-)

Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,960 times
I am curious about rentals in princeton town. It seems hard to find reasonable rentals and purchase there seems outta sight, even in obvious fixer uppers. Do I have this right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey